• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

ASS when parking

skypilot170

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence DC1
I pull into parking spot - apply and hold brake pedal with shift leveler in D - ASS kills engine. Whats my next move to prevent ASS from starting engine ?
Thanks

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
eh, perhaps turning off the car while in D? Then get warned by the car to shift to P? There are simply no good way to prevent the engine from coming back on before getting turned off within seconds.
Our Regal's ASS execution can use some improvement on this.
With those newer electronic shifters that I have tried (2020 CT5 for example), I can turn off the vehicle just like that once ASS killed the engine.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I pull into parking spot - apply and hold brake pedal with shift leveler in D - ASS kills engine. Whats my next move to prevent ASS from starting engine ?
Thanks
My next move was to get one of the auto-start-stop dis-abler options and be done with it for forever.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I've said it before but I'll say it again...

This conversation goes the same way every time.

Can I disable it? Yes, here are the handful of ways......

Why would you want to do that? Just put in Manual mode when you come to a stop....

No, I don't want to put it in manual mode.

But why not? It's free.

So is Herpes sometimes, I don't want that either....

Range Tech: Start/Stop Disabler - Range Technology (yes, it works on Buick)
Smart stop disabler: Chevy-Buick Cadillac-GMC
Axxess: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXSSO-GM
Trifecta: Regal - trifectaperformance.com

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
Or just back it in. :p
Where it kills it as I stop, then restarts when shifting to reverse.

Auto stop start on this car just seems very poorly calibrated. Mine would often shut down while at a very slow roll in still-slightly-moving situations, like a drive-thru line. I HATED it, and was very happy to kill it via Trifecta.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Where it kills it as I stop, then restarts when shifting to reverse.

Auto stop start on this car just seems very poorly calibrated. Mine would often shut down while at a very slow roll in still-slightly-moving situations, like a drive-thru line. I HATED it, and was very happy to kill it via Trifecta.
I guess my car has learnt my driving habit even with such low miles. I am confident to say that have not happen to me.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
I guess my car has learnt my driving habit even with such low miles. I am confident to say that have not happen to me.
Mine seemed to get stupider over the 7 months I drove it stock. Often shut down before even fully stopping, and cranking again before the engine stopped. Dealer changed battery, zero change in stop/start.

I notice it in others now to. Like getting gas and someone pulls up to the pump, car shuts off, then restarts as they shift to park, so they can shut it off again. Almost always seems to be Evisions and Malibus.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Mine seemed to get stupider over the 7 months I drove it stock. Often shut down before even fully stopping, and cranking again before the engine stopped. Dealer changed battery, zero change in stop/start.

I notice it in others now to. Like getting gas and someone pulls up to the pump, car shuts off, then restarts as they shift to park, so they can shut it off again. Almost always seems to be Evisions and Malibus.
I personally like the ASS on our Regal comparing to the invasion and Malibu, where it stays off far longer than those 2.
On the invasion, I timed it at about 40 seconds-ish before it turns back on.
Meanwhile, 40 seconds is too short for some of the red lights around my place.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
I personally like the ASS on our Regal comparing to the invasion and Malibu, where it stays off far longer than those 2.
On the invasion, I timed it at about 40 seconds-ish before it turns back on.
Meanwhile, 40 seconds is too short for some of the red lights around my place.
So in your area, I could tolerate (or maybe even appreciate) stop/start. I live in a rural town. Just a few lights, and in my routine I rarely ever hit any of them. So I have stop signs, and zilch for traffic. The time I ran to the store one evening and the thing shut down 6 or 7 times, without ever actually shutting all the way down, I was done. Order was put in with Trifecta that night.

Yes, I could throw it in manual every single stinking time I am coming to a stop, but why hassle with that, or wear out the shifter mechanism prematurely from racking it over and back 30 times a day? Really, of stop/start would just wait 2 seconds after a stop before shutting off the engine it would almost never affect me.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
So in your area, I could tolerate (or maybe even appreciate) stop/start. I live in a rural town. Just a few lights, and in my routine I rarely ever hit any of them. So I have stop signs, and zilch for traffic. The time I ran to the store one evening and the thing shut down 6 or 7 times, without ever actually shutting all the way down, I was done. Order was put in with Trifecta that night.

Yes, I could throw it in manual every single stinking time I am coming to a stop, but why hassle with that, or wear out the shifter mechanism prematurely from racking it over and back 30 times a day? Really, of stop/start would just wait 2 seconds after a stop before shutting off the engine it would almost never affect me.
Almost free of ASS at last.
Dont tell the climate change people, you could be cancelled.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence

Those bean counters in Detroit should just leave the damn button there. 😩

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
Just as an FYI, now that my ASS has been permanently disabled with the Trifecta Tune I am selling my Axxess Start/Stop override module. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Gig

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I purchased my 2018 TourX a few days ago and the engine has never shut off by itself. Could it be because it’s been cold outside or maybe some override has been installed?

skypilot170

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence DC1
I purchased my 2018 TourX a few days ago and the engine has never shut off by itself. Could it be because it’s been cold outside or maybe some override has been installed?
Ours doesn't every time either. Give it a few more days and see. If your battery is in good condition it will. If not the battery is suspect.
There are some other controlling factors; outside temp-Climate control settings and battery condition.

Last edited:

Anaduff

Associate Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
... or maybe some override has been installed?
That is also a possibility. There is an override module that plugs into the OBD2 diagnostic connector which is located underneath the interior fuse panel--I think they have a LED that should be easy to spot. Next location to look at is under the cover between the front grille & the radiator, you might be able to see it (the SmartStopStart module) looking in & up through the grille about 6" to the right of the hood latch, else you'll have to take off the plastic cover & see if there is a small box & some cable-ties at that location. Last is a software mod (like the Trifecta) which can't be detected easily, but there is supposed to be a way to turn it on/off, but I'm not sure how that works--maybe someone else here with that installed can help.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
If it is tuned by Trifecta you can activate cruise control...not at a set speed but just turn it on so you could set a speed. That will deactivate the override.

While driving, check you voltage. Don't know what the cut off is but I think the consensus here is 13.6-13.8 is a good battery. If you are running over 14 it is suspect.