Auto climate control mileage boost

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I found out today after running a one week test, that if you keep your climate control in the "auto" setting, with the blue light on in the center of the switch, your air conditioning compressor runs all the time, even when it's cool out and the system is blowing heat.

That dropped my overall mileage for the week from almost 33 mpg to near 31 mpg, just by keeping the system in "auto".

I noticed when you put it in "auto", the yellow air conditioning light comes on also. But even if you de-select it, or turn it off, the air conditioning compressor continues to run all the time anyways.

The only way I found to prevent the compressor from running was to select one of the three vent positions and control the fan speed manually. Either floor, center dash, or defrost vents. It still runs like its in auto though, because when it was cool out, it started blowing heat, then when it warmed, it blew cool outside air.

I then read the manual, and it said the compressor will always run in "auto" until the outside temperature drops to 40 F.

So if you want a gas mileage boost, take it out of "auto" by selecting one of the three vent positions.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
We run the a.c. on long trips and haven't seen any noticeable fuel consumption. We wasted more fuel with the ending idling while stopped.

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
No problems or drop in FE using Auto setting. My Honda is set up the same way. That's the normal setting.

Jamesr90

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The AC light always comes on in our 2016 Encore when we first start the car. The Config settings do not have an option for the AC. Am I missing something?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!