• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Auto headlights sensitivity

Strippers4Me

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Just picked up my car yesterday and I have an issue with my auto headlights (LED)

I can't seem to find any adjustment for sensitivity, I would like them to come on sooner, rain & overcast doesn't seem to trigger them. It has to be almost dark before they come on. Does anyone know how to adjust this or where I could find the information?
Thanks 14082

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
No owner adjustments. Sensor pickup could not be properly mounted or defective which needs a dealer call. As a guideline the sensor don't work well in gray environments and have a timed delay before turning on.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Mine come on much sooner than my other cars with auto light systems. I think the setting is fine except for cloudy rainy days. Today it was overcast and raining at 4pm. Not dark enough and fairly bright so I just turned the headlights on.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Mine also come on quite readily. Plus, with the HID, I have no complaints with visibility.
I believe turning on the wipers automatically turn on the head lights? That was a nice auto feature in my 2012 Regal. I assume the new regal also have the same feature... I'll check after work on the drive home. If I don't write back, assume this feature is there. :)

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Mine also come on quite readily. Plus, with the HID, I have no complaints with visibility.
I believe turning on the wipers automatically turn on the head lights? That was a nice auto feature in my 2012 Regal. I assume the new regal also have the same feature... I'll check after work on the drive home. If I don't write back, assume this feature is there. :)
Circling back - I tested my 2018 TourX - The headlight does come on after ~10 seconds of turning on the wipers, even in bright sunlight. It immediately turn off once I turn off the wipers.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Circling back - I tested my 2018 TourX - The headlight does come on after ~10 seconds of turning on the wipers, even in bright sunlight. It immediately turn off once I turn off the wipers.
That's interesting. My 2018 Sportback Essence with Driver Confidence I does not have this feature and I don't remember seeing any way to enable. I guess I need to look again.

Buickware

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore; Preferred Trim Group.
Apologize in advance for long post. I am passionate on some subjects, I admit!

Not to nitpick (right before he nitpicks, lol) but Buick doesn't use High Intensity Discharge/Xenon nor do most other manufacturers anymore. The go to tech for "high end lighting" has become LED... The cost is less than xenon, and car companies could provide it on every model for minimal expense or possibly cheaper than Halogen. But then they wouldn't have anything to upsell. This practice, along with "packages" are my number one gripe with car companies. Its TOTAL BS that I have to buy leather seats to get cross traffic monitoring. My families saftey is predicated on me getting a Bose Stereo or some other nonsense. I understand the concept and how it helps the manufacturer. But to offer no way to add something like remote start without spending $1900 for a dealer install. Or for Buick to have an engine that actually HAS appropriate power for this car. Same displacement, but 153 HP vs 138, SUBSTANTIAL ADDITIONAL TORQUE, that is OPTIONAL for $250-400 on every trim, including Essence and AWD. You still have to pony up to get the appropriate engine for the car, and THEN you get stuck with a stop/start system that cannot be turned off. They did it for a 2 mpg rating increase. That the system is unable to be defeated come full circle. The headlight sensitivity cannot be adjusted. Drove this morning at 7:30 full sun, on a tree lined road (patchy sun/shade) the headlights cycled off and on 11 times on a 20 minute trip. WELL THANKS BUICK! Not just for making them "automatic" but for programming them in a way that I hate, making me look like an idiot to the car in front of me, and of course giving me ZERO OPTIONS to manage it short of a dealer trip which will give me more aggravation than satisfaction. Executives need to stay out of engineering.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX

Not to nitpick (right before he nitpicks, lol) but Buick doesn't use High Intensity Discharge/Xenon nor do most other manufacturers anymore. The go to tech for "high end lighting" has become LED... The cost is less than xenon, and car companies could provide it on every model for minimal expense or possibly cheaper than Halogen. But then they wouldn't have anything to upsell. This practice, along with "packages" are my number one gripe with car companies. Its TOTAL BS that I have to buy leather seats to get cross traffic monitoring. My families saftey is predicated on me getting a Bose Stereo or some other nonsense. I understand the concept and how it helps the manufacturer. But to offer no way to add something like remote start without spending $1900 for a dealer install. Or for Buick to have an engine that actually HAS appropriate power for this car. Same displacement, but 153 HP vs 138, SUBSTANTIAL ADDITIONAL TORQUE, that is OPTIONAL for $250-400 on every trim, including Essence and AWD. You still have to pony up to get the appropriate engine for the car, and THEN you get stuck with a stop/start system that cannot be turned off. They did it for a 2 mpg rating increase. That the system is unable to be defeated come full circle. The headlight sensitivity cannot be adjusted. Drove this morning at 7:30 full sun, on a tree lined road (patchy sun/shade) the headlights cycled off and on 11 times on a 20 minute trip. WELL THANKS BUICK! Not just for making them "automatic" but for programming them in a way that I hate, making me look like an idiot to the car in front of me, and of course giving me ZERO OPTIONS to manage it short of a dealer trip which will give me more aggravation than satisfaction. Executives need to stay out of engineering.
Buick Encores don't come with a manual switch to turn on the headlights ? Wow that really sucks.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Passionate on some subjects, I get that. Is it possible the Auto Start Stop is there (for the 2 mpg increase), because govt is trying to protect us from ourselves? Hang on, I gotta go put a helmet on...

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
A new law taking effect on April 7, 2015, requires the use of headlights and taillights on motor vehicles during inclement weather and when windshield wipers are in use. The law is intended to increase safety and visibility of vehicles on the Commonwealth’s roadways.

The changes to Mass General Law Chapter 85, Section 15, require that front and rear motor vehicle lights be activated in all of the following conditions:

• When windshield wipers are on.
  • When low light or weather conditions prevent other vehicles or persons from being seen at 500 feet.
  • From ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise.

Buickware

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore; Preferred Trim Group.
Buick Encores don't come with a manual switch to turn on the headlights ? Wow that really sucks.
Technically, there is a switch. But the system overrides it. So... start the car. System checks ambient light. Flips on headlights - in my case even on a sunny afternoon, because the car is sitting in the shade of a tree. Really, Buick? So I patiently wait to see if it will "see the light" after 10 minutes of this, I'm done. The switch has a spring loaded center position. To the left is a power cycle - turn left, off. Spring returns to center. Turn it left again, on. To the right you have "parking" (LED Light Pipes) and Headlights fully on. What they do NOT offer is "headlights fully off" -cycle them off with a left rotate of dial, spring returns to center. 2 minutes later, guess what? System kicks the lights back on. Or off, but in my case off requires a direct sunbeam laser focused on the dashboard sensor. Obviously either programmed too aggressively turn lights on at ANYTHING less than blinding bright sunlight. Or is defective or programming needs to be cleared and reset. I will bet money the DEALER can make it less sensitive.

I like safety features. I like things glthat can overcome human quirks like forgetfulness - who hasn't seen the car at night driving out of a bright mall parking area with NO LIGHTS ON. Black car, full of children in the back.

The same drivers you flash your lights at (in my case I also turn MY lights fully off, then back on to stress the point. I think it worked. Once. About a dozen years ago. In EVERY other case the black, lightless stealthmobile full of innocent, soon to be orphaned children, (the ones that survive) drives off into the night, maybe one brain between the 5 passengers and driver.

So sure, I like automatic lights. That either work 100% logically in every known and unknown scenario (because GMC engineers are THAT good)

OR... offer a way TO OVERIDE FAULTY LOGIC.

Crazy concept, I know... These types of engineering are present everywhere in our cars. And save lives. When they work, faultlessly - when they DON'T we need an override. Anyone recall the Boeing 737 Max KILLING PEOPLE - and Boeing Execs trying to convince the FAA to let them keep flying? Extreme example of this exact principle at work. Who is for autonomous jets that cannot be manually controlled? Ugh... ok, I've said my piece. Sorry all. I think my feeling on the subject is quite obvious by now.

Be safe put there. The ghost in the machine may be out to get ya! :eek: :oops:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X

Ok. All kidding aside, how do you really feel. No really.

BTW. I can shut my headlights off if I’m in a position like you early in the morning.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
I was rather surprised that my Tour X has no adjustable sensitivity for the auto headlight system.
My 2011 Nissan Leaf as adjustable sensitivity via the infotainment screen and it's a LONG way from a "near luxury" car.
Nice to know the headlights turn on when the wipers are activated. I haven't driven my Tour X in the rain yet.
I will miss, however, the rain-sensing wipers in my 2003 Passat and the speed-sensitive wipers in my Leaf.
Buick needs to step it up!

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
I was rather surprised that my Tour X has no adjustable sensitivity for the auto headlight system.
My 2011 Nissan Leaf as adjustable sensitivity via the infotainment screen and it's a LONG way from a "near luxury" car.
Nice to know the headlights turn on when the wipers are activated. I haven't driven my Tour X in the rain yet.
I will miss, however, the rain-sensing wipers in my 2003 Passat and the speed-sensitive wipers in my Leaf.
Buick needs to step it up!
I have auto-wipers on my Jeep, we live in the high desert, about half the "rain" we get though out the year are actually a mud storms, auto-wipe is rarely turned on in the Jeep.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Buickware said he had no options for turning on or off the auto-headlights. Maybe his Encore is different than the one in your picture ?
Doubtful.
I would bet it is required for some FMVSS.
I am suspecting the issue is as what BoostedRegal2.0 said where the driver does not know the how to use the manual switch.

Turbo Buick Badge