• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Auto headlights sensitivity

Buickware

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore; Preferred Trim Group.
Buickware said he had no options for turning on or off the auto-headlights. Maybe his Encore is different than the one in your picture ?
I described the switch. I detail. It returns to center AUTO position. You CAN turn them off. As long as you dont mind them going back on again 5minutes later. Then off (in the sun) then on in the slightest gray... like cloudy day. The OFF setting only works for a few minutes. It's either defective or working as designed. If so it was designed by an idiot.

Did you not read my post?

Buickware

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore; Preferred Trim Group.
Doubtful.
I would bet it is required for some FMVSS.
I am suspecting the issue is as what BoostedRegal2.0 said where the driver does not know the how to use the manual switch.
I am an IT software designer who has worked in tech for 40 years. I read the manual cover to cover the first night the car was in our driveway. Pretty sure I can figure out a switch that defaults to auto. Have any of YOU checked whether your headlights go back ON after turning them off?

The dash light with two opposing green lights in the top center of the IC shows that the lights cycle BACK ON after cycling the switch to OFF, then having it spring return to center (Auto).

According to the owners manual, on page 140 the left position turns the lights off and DEACTIVATES AUTO MODE. Turn left again to reactivate auto mode. Except ours does not do this. The deactivate only works for a short period. Ignition on, no restarts, park position, or egress/ingress events. 5 to 7 minutes after cycling off, they are back on again.

This was why I posted, to see if anyone has seen similar undocumented behavior in the system. Not to be told I dont understand the switch.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Why would you want them off when you are driving? There's a reason they designed the headlights to stay on in a low light condition, it's for safety. It's the same reason that the headlights come on when the wipers are being use, for safety.

If someone turned the headlights off by mistake and it was dark out, and they didn't come back on automatically, then other vehicles wouldn't be able to see them. So they designed them to come back on intentionally, not because the engineers don't know how to design them to function properly.

By the way I NEVER turn my headlights off while i'm driving, so I have no idea if they come back on automatically. But I'm sure they do so I'm not even going to try it.

Last edited:

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
I described the switch. I detail. It returns to center AUTO position. You CAN turn them off. As long as you dont mind them going back on again 5minutes later. Then off (in the sun) then on in the slightest gray... like cloudy day. The OFF setting only works for a few minutes. It's either defective or working as designed. If so it was designed by an idiot.

Did you not read my post?
Yes I read your post, you're saying you can't manually turn your lights off or on. And then I said, that sucks, why are you getting snippy with me ?
BTW, I've yet to drive my wifes TourX after dark so I have absolutely no clue as to how these lights work.

Last edited:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I am an IT software designer who has worked in tech for 40 years. I read the manual cover to cover the first night the car was in our driveway. Pretty sure I can figure out a switch that defaults to auto. Have any of YOU checked whether your headlights go back ON after turning them off?

The dash light with two opposing green lights in the top center of the IC shows that the lights cycle BACK ON after cycling the switch to OFF, then having it spring return to center (Auto).

According to the owners manual, on page 140 the left position turns the lights off and DEACTIVATES AUTO MODE. Turn left again to reactivate auto mode. Except ours does not do this. The deactivate only works for a short period. Ignition on, no restarts, park position, or egress/ingress events. 5 to 7 minutes after cycling off, they are back on again.

This was why I posted, to see if anyone has seen similar undocumented behavior in the system. Not to be told I dont understand the switch.
First of all, I applaud the fact that you are one of the few whom read the user manual. I sincerely thank you for doing that.
I was originally referring to manually turning on the headlights.
So you want them OFF? (You did not specify that on the original post though.) Why would you want them OFF during that 07:30 drive? The lights are not only for you to see, but for others to see you too. Think about it, that helps improve visibility of your vehicle when you are in the tree shades so that others will not turn in front of you by mistake.
I do understand the frustration of being unable to turn them off completely.
But at the same time, I kind of understand the logic behind why would the engineers programmed the headlights to come back to auto mode after a while. It is called liability. Because when we turn the automatic headlight system off, it also turns off the DRL. That is a big no no, especially it is the law in Canada. Automakers are unlikely to have 2 different calibrations for US vs Canada. On top of that, we have so many land borders that people cross between the 2 countries all the time.
Mine turns on the low beam when driving through a 7 lane underpass at 70 mph too (The bridge on top of the highway has 7 lanes of travel in total). There is a local interstate where there are 3 of those bridges within a stretch of a mile and my headlights turn on and off like that too.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I had the DRLs switched off on my 2010 Highlander but that was due to the fact that the DRLs on that vehicle just illuminated the low beam headlights at a weak voltage and there was no dedicated DRL. I was driving roughly 20,000 miles a year at that point (mostly during daylight hours) and the DRL would burn out the low beam on the headlight every 6 months or so if left on. Sadly disabling the DRL also killed the "AUTO" function on the headlights. This meant I had to be extra vigilant about turning them off and on when necessary, an example would be that I tried to have the headlight on whenever I was running the windshield wipers so that other's could see me in poor weather conditions.

Now that nearly everyone has gone LED on their DRLs I'm more than happy to have the DRLs on all the time in order to be seen. I make the Gallup to Albuquerque trip on a decently regular basis and I get so irritated with those people who won't turn their damn headlights on when the sun has almost dipped behind the mountains.

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

I feel like this might be a manufacturer's defect. There are times when I need my lights off (like if I am parked in front of someone's house and lights are shining into their windows. I am almost certain that it SHOULD be there. I think perhaps take it to the dealer and get it checked out.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I assume the headlights will stay off when the car isn't moving but they will come on automatically of they are turned off when driving. This would make the most sense so I'll have to try it when I get home from work tonight.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I feel like this might be a manufacturer's defect. There are times when I need my lights off (like if I am parked in front of someone's house and lights are shining into their windows. I am almost certain that it SHOULD be there. I think perhaps take it to the dealer and get it checked out.
May I suggest turning the headlight switch to the "parking lights" position? (The position between Auto and On)
That way, the low beams are off, but the parking lamps will be illuminated.
On the other hand, I believe the headlamps will turn off if I set my parking brakes and put the vehicle in park.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Canada had DRL long before the USA, so it is something that is engineered for that country. In the US as a example a California vehicle had different EPA components then the rest of the US. Just as each US state has it's own laws regarding headlight usage.

Instead of making assumptions on why the light should be on or off, does anyone know for sure that it's a factory function or a defective device. On my GM, 07 and 17, vehicle's when the DRL headlights are turned off they stay off until the next restart or I manually turn them back on while driving.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Canada had DRL long before the USA, so it is something that is engineered for that country. In the US as a example a California vehicle had different EPA components then the rest of the US. Just as each US state has it's own laws regarding headlight usage.
[/URL]

Instead of making assumptions on why the light should be on or off, does anyone know for sure that it's a factory function or a defective device. On my GM, 07 and 17, vehicle's when the DRL headlights are turned off they stay off until the next restart or I manually turn them back on while driving.
Just took a tag ride with pal's TourX.
15~20 minutes of driving (about 6 miles), the DRL did not come back on during that ignition cycle.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well that is at least some information and it may be working on the Regal -TourX, but Buickware has a Encore so he's on his own until it's a new post in the Encore forum. Seeing how one vehicle is built in Germany and the other is Korean built I'm not sure how much farther apart you can get to trying to find a solution.

G-809730

Technically, there is a switch. But the system overrides it. So... start the car. System checks ambient light. Flips on headlights - in my case even on a sunny afternoon, because the car is sitting in the shade of a tree. Really, Buick? So I patiently wait to see if it will "see the light" after 10 minutes of this, I'm done. The switch has a spring loaded center position. To the left is a power cycle - turn left, off. Spring returns to center. Turn it left again, on. To the right you have "parking" (LED Light Pipes) and Headlights fully on. What they do NOT offer is "headlights fully off" -cycle them off with a left rotate of dial, spring returns to center. 2 minutes later, guess what? System kicks the lights back on. Or off, but in my case off requires a direct sunbeam laser focused on the dashboard sensor. Obviously either programmed too aggressively turn lights on at ANYTHING less than blinding bright sunlight. Or is defective or programming needs to be cleared and reset. I will bet money the DEALER can make it less sensitive.

I like safety features. I like things glthat can overcome human quirks like forgetfulness - who hasn't seen the car at night driving out of a bright mall parking area with NO LIGHTS ON. Black car, full of children in the back.

The same drivers you flash your lights at (in my case I also turn MY lights fully off, then back on to stress the point. I think it worked. Once. About a dozen years ago. In EVERY other case the black, lightless stealthmobile full of innocent, soon to be orphaned children, (the ones that survive) drives off into the night, maybe one brain between the 5 passengers and driver.

So sure, I like automatic lights. That either work 100% logically in every known and unknown scenario (because GMC engineers are THAT good)

OR... offer a way TO OVERIDE FAULTY LOGIC.

Crazy concept, I know... These types of engineering are present everywhere in our cars. And save lives. When they work, faultlessly - when they DON'T we need an override. Anyone recall the Boeing 737 Max KILLING PEOPLE - and Boeing Execs trying to convince the FAA to let them keep flying? Extreme example of this exact principle at work. Who is for autonomous jets that cannot be manually controlled? Ugh... ok, I've said my piece. Sorry all. I think my feeling on the subject is quite obvious by now.

Be safe put there. The ghost in the machine may be out to get ya! :eek: :oops:
I haven't noticed my 2019 Encore autolights coming on a few minutes after I turn them off manually. I've had them come on in early afternoon, while it is still very much daylight but with sun at my back, the sensor is in shade and on come the lights. I asked about turning sensor around so it faces out windshield but dealer didn't.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Going back to the OP’s post, who does own a TourX, he wants the lights to come on sooner.

my previous 2 cars had a sensitivity adjustment to have them come on sooner than standard. I miss that feature too and I also think the lights come on too late at dusk. I have put my winter hat over the sensor a couple times to get the lights on auto.

i plan to tint the sensor a bit to increase sensitivity and also to tint the shiny bit around the shifter. When the sun is at the right angle I get blinded under my sunglasses!

Wagon Man

Buick Ownership
Wagon, soon
Day time running lights comes on as soon as you start driving, for regular headlights (and taillights) turn the rotary switch one notch to the right and observe the green light symbol on the dash Illuminate.
Sensor sensibility determines when the DRL switches over to regular headlights.
( and Taillights)
Clear as mud? :cool:

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Day time running lights comes on as soon as you start driving, for regular headlights (and taillights) turn the rotary switch one notch to the right and observe the green light symbol on the dash Illuminate.
Sensor sensibility determines when the DRL switches over to regular headlights.
( and Taillights)
Clear as mud? :cool:
You don’t own a Regal, do you? One notch to the right turns on parking lights. Show me the sensor sensibility? Lol.

Turbo Buick Badge