Auto start/Stop feature on Buick 2018 Envision

Bob G.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just read that the 2019 Buick Envision will enable you to turn off the auto Start/Stop feature; Since I have just purchased a 2018 will Buick/GM provide a retro fix to the 2018. I life in an area with entrance gated and many round about, this stop feature is going to get someone hurt.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If there is a way to retrofit the feature for the previous year car it might or might not be worth the hustle.
Hard to perceive how GM would go about this.... but...

I know for a fact that the GM tech gurus that do the computer programing could easily re-write the ECM-TCM-CCM-BCM-FSCM to disable the start-stop, but weather they're allowed to do so or not is another matter. It would literally take the GM tech fella at the dealership less than 5 minutes to do the service.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I know for a fact that the GM tech gurus that do the computer programing could easily re-write the ECM-TCM-CCM-BCM-FSCM to disable the start-stop, but weather they're allowed to do so or not is another matter. It would literally take the GM tech fella at the dealership less than 5 minutes to do the service.
It might be akin to changing the engine programming to reduce efficiency and increase power, after the vehicle's release to market, which would create regulatory issues (CAFE, possibly others). Whether someone in the community can come up with a defeat is a different story, but don't expect GM to do it.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
It might be akin to changing the engine programming to reduce efficiency and increase power, after the vehicle's release to market, which would create regulatory issues (CAFE, possibly others). Whether someone in the community can come up with a defeat is a different story, but don't expect GM to do it.
HP tuners is working on it but who knows how long and what vehicles will have that support.

So far HPTunets has no support for my 2018 Regal. Even the scanner won't read most of the PID's. One bonus is the the new Regal's E80 ECM has wideband 02 sensors instead of narrowband. But I can't scan KR which to me is just as if not more important.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OHIO
Buick Ownership
Turbo Envision
I had to contact HPTuners support for my E80 2016 Envision 2.0T. You just have a different software version as they may as you to send a debug file, a copy of your tune... I love stop/start and only wish it stopped more often. On our 2017 Acadia Limited we had to have internet connection to read the file. I was still missing PIDs can be found again working through support. I had to clear Vehicle in scanner after downloading the latest beta last week.

Though my battery is not charging on deceleration like it use too while I'm flashing new ecu tunes every couple weeks. I also installed a trailer hitch which has an already installed plug but have lost stop/start since...coincidence?

Bob G.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the many replies, and your correct this is nothing more than software update. Now how do we get this to GM and have them answer weather or not they would do this. In my area with the many roundabouts this is a matter of safety

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I had to contact HPTuners support for my E80 2016 Envision 2.0T. You just have a different software version as they may as you to send a debug file, a copy of your tune... I love stop/start and only wish it stopped more often. On our 2017 Acadia Limited we had to have internet connection to read the file. I was still missing PIDs can be found again working through support. I had to clear Vehicle in scanner after downloading the latest beta last week.

Though my battery is not charging on deceleration like it use too while I'm flashing new ecu tunes every couple weeks. I also installed a trailer hitch which has an already installed plug but have lost stop/start since...coincidence?
It makes sense the stop/start disabled itself if it thinks the car is towing something.

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
HP tuners is working on it but who knows how long and what vehicles will have that support.

So far HPTunets has no support for my 2018 Regal. Even the scanner won't read most of the PID's. One bonus is the the new Regal's E80 ECM has wideband 02 sensors instead of narrowband. But I can't scan KR which to me is just as if not more important.
I hope there's an HPT update. I probably won't tune anything on the car until my bumper-bumper warranty is up, but I would like to dial in the tune a little better and see if I can firm up the trans.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I hope there's an HPT update. I probably won't tune anything on the car until my bumper-bumper warranty is up, but I would like to dial in the tune a little better and see if I can firm up the trans.
One problem we might have is our ECM and TCM could be locked. And we'd have to take them out and send to hpt to have them unlocked. And i think it costs $200 to unlock each one. Then the trans alone would need 4 credits ? I think.

I hope that's not the case about the unlocking.

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Envision Premium II
How on earth does start/stop cause a safety issue? It turns off when you stop, starts when you take your foot off the brake. Doesn't cause the car to lurch. Just curious how you find this dangerous or a safety issue.

Bob G.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
How on earth does start/stop cause a safety issue? It turns off when you stop, starts when you take your foot off the brake. Doesn't cause the car to lurch. Just curious how you find this dangerous or a safety issue.
Well I would just like to thank GM and Buick for having the (STOP/START feature. Just returned fro Philadelphia, where ever cornoris a stop sign, about every 150 feet. Most driver to stop the engine from turning off will roll through the stop sign. not hard but just enough to not have the engine turn off.

This my friends is enough for law enforcement to issue tickets, so thank GM for providing extra revenue to the inner cities of American.

Oh and by the way a safety issue, rolling through stop signs.

Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Buick Regal GS Stage 1
The REAL safety issue is going to come when a few years -if not sooner - this auto start/stop causes premature starter failures, and causes vehicles and drivers to be stuck at intersections or traffic lights because the vehicle wont start back up... I got a '17 Cruze as a rental when my '12 Regal GS was in the body shop getting the nose replaced, and it was the first time I experienced it... I was INSTANTLY in serious disapproval of the feature and how it puts more pressure on the engine, transmission, mounts, etc FL get the vehicle to move because it has to start back up and then put itself in gear and try and get going... your not getting that if the engine stays running...

This auto start/stop feature alone is one major reason why I refuse to buy anything newer from GM... there are other reasons as well, but those are for another thread and another time...

Chparkjr

Buick Ownership
2017 Envision Essence
It makes sense the stop/start disabled itself if it thinks the car is towing something.
I have heard that towing with a Ford disables their Start/Stop due to the trailer lights being plugged into the vehicle's lighting harness.
Has this been confirmed for the 2017 Envision?
I would much rather install a towing wiring harness with a light tester plugged into it than put in the hood switch module that may or may not cause problems with the Dealer's service dept.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
The REAL safety issue is going to come when a few years -if not sooner - this auto start/stop causes premature starter failures, and causes vehicles and drivers to be stuck at intersections or traffic lights because the vehicle wont start back up... I got a '17 Cruze as a rental when my '12 Regal GS was in the body shop getting the nose replaced, and it was the first time I experienced it... I was INSTANTLY in serious disapproval of the feature and how it puts more pressure on the engine, transmission, mounts, etc FL get the vehicle to move because it has to start back up and then put itself in gear and try and get going... your not getting that if the engine stays running...

This auto start/stop feature alone is one major reason why I refuse to buy anything newer from GM... there are other reasons as well, but those are for another thread and another time...
Exactly what I'm worried about with my TourX. I haven't been able to find any anecdotes of long-term owners (200k+ miles) of other vehicles (GM or not) with these start/stop systems. I tend to think way beyond the end of the warranty period, which I know many folks probably sell their cars by then. I definitely plan on buying the start/stop disable module as soon as it's ready for the Regal.

EDIT: I get wanting to save fuel, and I even understand that engineers attempted to design components related to start/stop accordingly. However, I have no interest in dealing with questionable long term wear & tear just to maybe save $5/year on gas.

Last edited:

Bob G.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Exactly what I'm worried about with my TourX. I haven't been able to find any anecdotes of long-term owners (200k+ miles) of other vehicles (GM or not) with these start/stop systems. I tend to think way beyond the end of the warranty period, which I know many folks probably sell their cars by then. I definitely plan on buying the start/stop disable module as soon as it's ready for the Regal.

EDIT: I get wanting to save fuel, and I even understand that engineers attempted to design components related to start/stop accordingly. However, I have no interest in dealing with questionable long term wear & tear just to maybe save $5/year on gas.

Bob G.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This is just a question ..... Does anyone known it GM or Buick read any of this stuff? If they do where is there consumer relation department.......

Fixer69

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Envision
Apparently GM has listened to the response of owners who dislike auto/start/stop. Just took delivery of a 2019 Envision and it has an on/off switch for this feature. It does, however, default to on every time you start the engine. So you must push the button each time you start the engine yourself. Not a major inconvenience.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.