Auto start-stop override module is now available!

Michael Wells

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I checked the smartstartstop.com website tonight, and they are proudly announcing the availility of their new auto start/stop defeat module for the Buick Regal 2017 to 2018 MY! Great news. I have been shopping for a new wagon, and the ability to permanently turn off auto s/s has been a requirement before I will buy.

Chevy-Buick-Cadillac-GMC Products

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I checked the smartstartstop.com website tonight, and they are proudly announcing the availility of their new auto start/stop defeat module for the Buick Regal 2017 to 2018 MY! Great news. I have been shopping for a new wagon, and the ability to permanently turn off auto s/s has been a requirement before I will buy.

Chevy-Buick-Cadillac-GMC Products
I like that it doesn't occupy the obd connection. The price is too steep for me at this time.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Mine arrived a week ago, so I installed it immediately. I can say that overall I'm very happy; it works just as advertised and set up is very easy. The only gripe is the effect on remote start (look at the last page of the instructions: https://www.smartstopstart.com/uploads/8/0/2/8/8028029/website_buick_regal_instructions_ver._1.0.pdf). For remote start, points #1 and #2 don't bother me much, but point #3 a is minor annoyance - requires an extra unnecessary start/stop cycle, which is what I'm generally trying to avoid in the first place. However, I still think the module is a worthwhile 99% solution rather than any of the work-arounds.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Can this be turned on and off? Or is it a permanent disable?
It's not entirely permanent, but there's no on/off switch with this module. It plugs into the hood-open sensor. However, it can easily be plugged in or unplugged and removed in under five minutes.

Gary N

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Sounds like it makes the computer think the hood is open. Will that affect the sensors, like active hood or airbags?

whitexkr

Buick Ownership
Envision
Sounds like it makes the computer think the hood is open. Will that affect the sensors, like active hood or airbags?
No, it just makes the computer think the hood is open for a fraction of a second after starting, then it is closed again. This activates a GM programmed safety feature in the vehicle to disable auto-stop for a tech working on the car to prevent surprise starts.

Gary N

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
No, it just makes the computer think the hood is open for a fraction of a second after starting, then it is closed again. This activates a GM programmed safety feature in the vehicle to disable auto-stop for a tech working on the car to prevent surprise starts.
So it sounds possible to "demo" the way the module will function by starting the car with the hood open, and then when I close it, it should not auto-stop that trip.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's a listing of what may disable the start stop funtion. Not sure if these all apply to the Regal-TourX but it what to look at when trying to do backwards engineering.

The one item that caught my eye was the exterior temperature sensor. If it's below a certain temperature it is disabled. So if a brilliant engineer can figure how to have it at a fixed temperature under the operating range, it should work and not interfere with other operations, but I am also unaware of what else may look at this sensor. I'm really not sure about unpluging it as it could create other problems, so do this at your own risk!
There are other suggestions, changing the shifter out of D, running the AC, of course the hood latch, faking it has a trailer, etc.

I have only vehicles that start and stop by turning the key, so it's a problem and possible solution for others.

The engine may not turn off at a stop or may restart if any of the following conditions apply:

A minimum vehicle speed is not reached.

The engine or transmission is not at the required operating temperature.

The outside temperature is not in the required operating range.

The shift lever is in any gear other than Drive (D).

The battery charge is low.

The climate control system requires the engine to run based on the climate control or defog setting.

The Auto Stop time is greater than two minutes.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
The engine may not turn off at a stop or may restart if any of the following conditions apply:

A minimum vehicle speed is not reached.

The engine or transmission is not at the required operating temperature.

The outside temperature is not in the required operating range.

The shift lever is in any gear other than Drive (D).

The battery charge is low.

The climate control system requires the engine to run based on the climate control or defog setting.

The Auto Stop time is greater than two minutes.
Stop-Start also won't activate if you came to a full stop solely using adaptive cruise control.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Mine arrived a week ago, so I installed it immediately. I can say that overall I'm very happy; it works just as advertised and set up is very easy. The only gripe is the effect on remote start (look at the last page of the instructions: https://www.smartstopstart.com/uploads/8/0/2/8/8028029/website_buick_regal_instructions_ver._1.0.pdf). For remote start, points #1 and #2 don't bother me much, but point #3 a is minor annoyance - requires an extra unnecessary start/stop cycle, which is what I'm generally trying to avoid in the first place. However, I still think the module is a worthwhile 99% solution rather than any of the work-arounds.
now that you have had it installed for a few months, any problems? Still happy with your purchase?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.