• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Auto stop-start on Sportback -- can it be turned off?

Benzadmiral

2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
The subject line says it all. On BMW, for instance, you can turn the ASS (what an acronym!) off, certainly for that particular driving session. Is that possible with the Sportback?

A dealer about 100 miles from me has a black over shale 2018 Essence model, which I understand means it will have leather-trimmed seats and some other goodies. A 2018 w/ 17K miles doesn't sound good, but it is CPO. Before I drive up there I want to know about the auto stop-start.

Also, if you've had the one of the previous 2011-2017 Regals, how does the Sportback ride and handle in comparison? It has 250 hp, which is certainly a good upgrade over my '11 with 180. Any comments appreciated.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
In other words, you can choose to disable it each time you start the car? There's a button? Though this SSS module looks like a good bet.
No... sort of. The only 'button' or way to choose is to switch the transmission into manual mode. The module defeats it totally and a tune (when available) can give the option to enable/disable.

Benzadmiral

No... sort of. The only 'button' or way to choose is to switch the transmission into manual mode. The module defeats it totally and a tune (when available) can give the option to enable/disable.
I often use the manual feature of my transmission to get some more revs out of the little 4-cylinder. Does the disablement stick when you shift back out of manual? Or does the ASS come back on when you go back to the auto mode of the transmission?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
I often use the manual feature of my transmission to get some more revs out of the little 4-cylinder. Does the disablement stick when you shift back out of manual? Or does the ASS come back on when you go back to the auto mode of the transmission?
ASS comes back once you're in D.

Ooof. That's a fun sentence. ;-)

Benzadmiral

ASS comes back once you're in D.

Ooof. That's a fun sentence. ;-)
Then this is going to fill me with mild but waning interest. I love Buicks, but if I have to live with an insistent nanny under the hood until I can install an aftermarket plug-in, that is not good.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
Then this is going to fill me with mild but waning interest. I love Buicks, but if I have to live with an insistent nanny under the hood until I can install an aftermarket plug-in, that is not good.
I really never notice the ASS. It's well implemented and the least of my grips with the TourX. If you do some further reading on the forum I think you'll find a similar attitude. The wireless charging compatibility bothers me more than the ASS.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
TourX
I really never notice the ASS. It's well implemented and the least of my grips with the TourX. If you do some further reading on the forum I think you'll find a similar attitude. The wireless charging compatibility bothers me more than the ASS.
Ditto here on the ASS. It's well done, not a bother for me in 1 month and nearly 1000 miles.

Benzadmiral

Ditto here on the ASS. It's well done, not a bother for me in 1 month and nearly 1000 miles.
Well, if it's really not noticeable in day-to-day driving, then fine. I've never driven a car with it yet, so I don't know what it's like. I imagine delays and rough starting, because that's the kind of evil imagination I have.

If one of my local dealers would ever get a Sportback that I could I test drive, I'd do it. But all they have, it seems, are the SUVs.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
I really like the concept of saving gas and lowering pollution especially when in heavy traffic, with five minute traffic lights. Is it that poorly executed? I wish my model had that same feature, but their decision not to let you turn it off is strange. Why not give people the ability to decide?

Is it saving you any money to turn the engine off when stopped?

1500cc

Ontario
2018 Regal GS
I really like the concept of saving gas and lowering pollution especially when in heavy traffic, with five minute traffic lights. Is it that poorly executed? I wish my model had that same feature, but their decision not to let you turn it off is strange. Why not give people the ability to decide?

Is it saving you any money to turn the engine off when stopped?
I mentioned this in the other thread ... according to the DIC, my GS consumes anywhere from 1.3 to 2.5 litres per hour while idling (mostly depending on how cold the engine is and what accessories are running). Let's call it an average of 2 litres per hour. Gas is currently around a buck a litre. So if the computer manages to shut the engine off for a cumulative 30 minutes, I've saved a dollar. Although that doesn't take into account any energy that needs to be 'made up' from the engine being off, e.g. topping up the battery charge, or running the HVAC blower harder to get the temp back to where you had it.

Personally I don't think it's worth it, but it's unobtrusive enough, and I have enough faith that GM designed it robustly enough, that I don't bother mucking with it.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
From what I have read and seen ASS is a hoax. The amount of fuel saved is minuscule. But the automaker has no option due to federal standards that require them to achieve higher mileage on average. One of my concerns is that the fuel mileage with the Regal is poor compared to other similar vehicles. 22 average mpg is low for a modern day vehicle.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
2018.5 TourX Essence +all
From what I have read and seen ASS is a hoax. The amount of fuel saved is minuscule. But the automaker has no option due to federal standards that require them to achieve higher mileage on average. One of my concerns is that the fuel mileage with the Regal is poor compared to other similar vehicles. 22 average mpg is low for a modern day vehicle.
Not sure what it is like when it's hot out, but for now here in Michigan when it's 0F and the engine is warm but the fans are on full because the car cavety is approx. 40F, when auto shutdown kicks in the fans basically do the same (go reduced), that's wrong...

mike69440

2018 TourX Essence
I don't know why there is so much discussion about this. Don't like the ASS, just click over to manual mode at a stop, or do the pump the brakes trick.
It was below 0F this morning, ASS disables itself, even with engine fully warmed up. I've noticed not a lot of hesitation in the ASS either.
Averaging 27 MPG, not a lot of city driving, I'm not a slowpoke.
MPG should average 30 mpg in summer I hoping.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
I don't know why there is so much discussion about this. Don't like the ASS, just click over to manual mode at a stop, or do the pump the brakes trick.
It was below 0F this morning, ASS disables itself, even with engine fully warmed up. I've noticed not a lot of hesitation in the ASS either.
Averaging 27 MPG, not a lot of city driving, I'm not a slowpoke.
MPG should average 30 mpg in summer I hoping.
Preach! Not to point fingers, but those concerned are usually those that haven't driven the car at all or have barely driven it.

Drive more, worry less.

IanMitch

1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
This is my second car with the feature, and I don't mind it. Occasionally at a long stop light I'll pump the brake to bring the engine back - not really sure why I do that. The only inconvenience is when I inch into a tight spot in my garage; I need to slap it into manual mode for that. But really, the feature is not an annoyance, and sooner rather than later will be on the majority of cars.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
I think I fall in that category of people that don't like it simply because I haven't daily driven it enough to give it a chance. Theoretically, the feature is great and I'm sure I could "get use to it". My qualm is with the longevity of the starter. All things have a service life and the few extra cycles of the starter every trip could be avoided.

Am I worrying about it too much? Probably.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!