• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Automatic Climate Control - blink codes

Spriteman

Central Florida
Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue - Base - 132K Miles
Okay everyone - please remind me for a 1998 PA Base if you can enter the diagnostic mode for the automatic climate control and where the codes are for this.

I did an extensive search on this forum and on the web and couldn't find it anywhere. I know I've seen the details for this somewhere I just can't remember where - guess I'm getting too old.

SM

bigsky

5.7L LT1 Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Montana
Buick Ownership
97 PA (salvage 185k), 99 PA (sold-now 170k), 2K PA (sold-now over 200k), 03 PAU 175k, 04 PAU
Okay everyone - please remind me for a 1998 PA Base if you can enter the diagnostic mode for the automatic climate control and where the codes are for this.
SM
I think you can for the 98...this is from the 99 service manual:

1. Press & hold the OFF, AUTO, and RECIRC buttons for 1 second.

2. the DTC's will display for 2 seconds each and then return to normal operation.

There are 24 DTC's listed in the manual ; 18 start with B; 6 start with U.

If you get a DTC, I can look it up...

Last edited:

84ZZ4

Morrisville, NC
Buick Ownership
'83 Regal T-Type, '01 Park Avenue Ultra, '02 Park Avenue Base
The '98 manual has the same procedure (1C-8, Displaying Diagnostic Trouble codes), so I tried the above procedure and mine said "41". Be aware it looks like it clears the codes, since I wasn't able to repeat the procedure.

I'm guessing it only gives you the last two digits. On my table it looks like that's enough to uniquely ID the code.

41 appears to be "Air Mix Door #2 Movement Fault", for reference. Looks like that's the passenger's mixer.

This was all on my '98 base model, same as the OP, so if it works for me it should work for him.

Spriteman

Central Florida
Buick Ownership
That sounds like the deal - I'm going to check mine out today. Mine will probably show the same code. I believe I have a couple of bad actuators.

84ZZ4

Morrisville, NC
Buick Ownership
The actuator related faults seem to be:

B1340 Air Mix Door #1 Movement Fault (Driver's side)
B1341 Air Mix Door #2 Movement Fault (Passenger's side)
B1343 Air Inlet Door Movement Fault
B1344 Mode Door Movement Fault

These are all from my '98 service manual.

Spriteman

Central Florida
Buick Ownership
OK - just followed the procedure and all I got was a quickly flashing temp. Does that mean that there are no stored codes?

Just to make sure this needs to be done with the key in the ON position and car not running?

And once you hold the keys for a second or two you release to see the codes?

84ZZ4

Morrisville, NC
Buick Ownership
Correct, if the temp just flashes rapidly for a second or two, there are no stored codes. That is what mine did after the first time. Key on, car off, climate control off is what I did. Since you got the flashing temp, you did it right.

As per usual, just because there's no code, doesn't mean there's no problem :). I suspect something seriously amiss with the temperature sensors in my car, but there's no code for them.

Spriteman

Central Florida
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the additional info 84ZZ4 - I'm fairly sure I've got a bad mode actuator - or at least the linkage is stuck - I'm going to check for actuator movement Tuesday.

I've got the wiring diagrams so I can check for correct voltages on the different leads.

Pedal Commander