• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Automatic door locks and Gear position indication on 2001 Park Avenue.

Gacleader1

Buick Ownership
2000 Park Avenue, 2001 Park Avenue, 1996 Roadmaster Wagon
Three problems started at the same time.

1.) There is no longer any indication on the cluster of what gear I am in.
2.) The doors lock as soon as the engine is started, rather than when in gear (Which could cause someone to get locked out after starting the engine and closing the door)
3.) The doors do not unlock when the transmission is put in Park, although they can be unlocked from inside the car with the lock/unlock buttons

Any thoughts?

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Three problems started at the same time.

1.) There is no longer any indication on the cluster of what gear I am in.
2.) The doors lock as soon as the engine is started, rather than when in gear (Which could cause someone to get locked out after starting the engine and closing the door)
3.) The doors do not unlock when the transmission is put in Park, although they can be unlocked from inside the car with the lock/unlock buttons

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the group. Sorry to read of the problems that you mentioned. It is possible that all three items share the same ground which has become compromised in some way. ( loose connect, corrosion or ?) It is also possible that a module is involved that has a defect.
If there is a group member that has experienced this same situation, we could benefit from their input. If not, the next best thing is to obtain a wiring diagram and some highlighters. The task would be to find a common ground point for the items on your list. Check the ground point by taking out the screw or bolt retaining the wires and clean the metal with fine sandpaper or equivalent. If no results after this, use the wiring diagram again to search for a module that would be common to the non-working items.

Gacleader1

Buick Ownership
2000 Park Avenue, 2001 Park Avenue, 1996 Roadmaster Wagon
After communicating with a GM guy, he advised that it could only be one of 4 things: The Park Neutral switch. A bad ground at G101, which is behind the power steering pump and oil filter, a bad splice at S108 which is located in the engine harness 2.3 inches from the branch of wires that go to the cruise control module, or a communication problem with the PCM. To test the Park Neutral switch, he had me see if the car would start in both Park and Neutral, and then down shift from D to 3 to 2 and then to 1 to see if the car would in fact downshift. That all worked, so that eliminated that. I am too damned old and inflexible to crawl under my car to see the ground and splice, even with the wheel removed for easier viewing, so I went with the PCM, which turned out to be the problem and fixed all of the issues with indication and door locks.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
After communicating with a GM guy, he advised that it could only be one of 4 things: The Park Neutral switch. A bad ground at G101, which is behind the power steering pump and oil filter, a bad splice at S108 which is located in the engine harness 2.3 inches from the branch of wires that go to the cruise control module, or a communication problem with the PCM. To test the Park Neutral switch, he had me see if the car would start in both Park and Neutral, and then down shift from D to 3 to 2 and then to 1 to see if the car would in fact downshift. That all worked, so that eliminated that. I am too damned old and inflexible to crawl under my car to see the ground and splice, even with the wheel removed for easier viewing, so I went with the PCM, which turned out to be the problem and fixed all of the issues with indication and door locks.
Thank you very much for your detailed message! This is very helpful and I am sure others will benefit from your post.

Pedal Commander