• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Auxiliary driving lights mounted behind the grill

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I have a pair of Diode Dynamics 3" SS3 light pods that I want to do something with, and I'm considering repurposing them as driving lights to supplement the high beams on my '18 TourX Essence w/LED lights. The LEDs are definitely bright but the high beams actually have such a wide pattern that it lights up the trees on either side of the road up close, making the distance down the road right in front seem darker by comparison. Hoping a driving pattern will fill in the center nicely.

First problem to solve though: where to mount them. Borrowing a photo from @Zaxer's bumper swap thread to demonstrate where I was thinking of drilling to mount the brackets. Does anyone know whether underneath/behind is accessible, and whether there's anything inside there that would be damaged by drilling a hole for the mount? I might need to do a blind rivet if I can't get behind it to put a nut, but I also want to be careful before I drill in case there's an airbag sensor or something like that inside the structure.

IMG_8248.jpeg

Can anyone with experience working behind the grill weigh in with advice?

Last edited:

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
In spite of no replies (yet) I'm forging forward with this, and will turn this into a build thread for anyone also looking to install auxiliary driving lights.

I'm hung up on a new thing now: where to fish wire (for the 3-way switch I'm installing to control the lights) through the firewall. No threads exist (according to my rudimentary search skills) on this topic for our cars, and I don't have any schematics available to me...so I'm hoping that someone here has done it and can provide advice.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Sorry...I have no details to help you in this but my question would be do you even need it? If you want these on with the highs, I would look to get a signal wire from the existing headlamps to a relay. Then wire the relay directly to the battery. You wouldn't be able to select just highs, but you should be able to get them to work as intended.

Only other thought is, I posted a thread a while back about a light bar I found accidentally. It is supposed to be vehicle specific, so they should have directions for installation. If that is available online you could see how they routed their wires.

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm going with a 3 way switch so that I can choose whether or not they come on with the high beams, and whether I want to "force" them on. so off, on, on with high beams.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
There is a large grommet on the driver's side footwell where you can easily run a wire into the cabin. I ran 8 gauge thru and back to a distribution block. Mainly for trailer lights, but future option for an amp, inverter, who knows.

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
There is a large grommet on the driver's side footwell where you can easily run a wire into the cabin.
Inside, front, or outside of the footwell? Did you access it to fish the wire through to the engine bay from underneath or above? I will go hunting for this grommet you describe, any additional info on location is appreciated!

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
Inside, front, or outside of the footwell? Did you access it to fish the wire through to the engine bay from underneath or above? I will go hunting for this grommet you describe, any additional info on location is appreciated!
Wife has the car, or else I'd get a pic. Memory says I went from inside the car, and viewing from there it was slightly down and left of where the brake passes through. See if I can get a pic once we are all home from various sporting events tonight....

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
Grayrider posted a pic here.

Stick your head down in the driver's footwell area and you'll see it.

img_7227-jpg

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Grayrider posted a pic here.

Stick your head down in the driver's footwell area and you'll see it.

img_7227-jpg

Nice, thank you for the helpful photo!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners