• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

AWD Driveshaft removal on CXL

eevw

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Bought a used 04 CXL. Live in SC and don't need AWD. I would like to have mechanic remove AWD rendering CXL a front wheel 2wd. Hoping to save weight and gear train drag to improve mileage.

Currently get 17 mpg in town and that is with a featherlight foot. Only 20-21 mpg on highway at 70 mph.

Thoughts on this procedure.

eevw
Greenville,SC

relacsn

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm having an issue getting the propeller shaft off. I am doing a trans swap and need to get this off...I've tried wedging a screwdriver in between the propeller shaft and transfer case but no luck...tried pulling it off...tons of pb blaster...even put a torch to it. The factory service manual says after you remove the bolts you just push the shaft towards back of car... I have had no luck with any of this. Any ideas on how to get this apart?? Thanks in advance

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus
VERY OLD THREAD..

But yes it will work once you get the driveshaft out. Remove the torque tube, remove the rear CV axles, remove the rear dif. Remember to leave the Rear Dif Actuator plugged in (this will make it so it doesnt set a AWD DISABLE light). You are going to have to seal the dif actuator in a plastic plug, or wrap it up with electrical tape. But yes, it can be done. Was running my Aztek (same truck) like that for 12 years. Just put it back to AWD last year, with no il effects.

Philip horner

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
I'm having an issue getting the propeller shaft off. I am doing a trans swap and need to get this off...I've tried wedging a screwdriver in between the propeller shaft and transfer case but no luck...tried pulling it off...tons of pb blaster...even put a torch to it. The factory service manual says after you remove the bolts you just push the shaft towards back of car... I have had no luck with any of this. Any ideas on how to get this apart?? Thanks in advance
You need special tools.

Turbo Buick Badge