AWD Lacrosse in the snow.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
This past weekend was the first chance i got to run the AWD Lacrosse on snow covered roads, that had rained and then froze with snow on top. It has stock Goodyears that were on it when i bought it in April of 18. Just had it inspected, tires have 7 3/2s tread. The car handled and the traction was excellent. With the Goodyears i was surprised and pleased.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Watch the video "tests" from snow tire manufacturers. They are pretty convincing and if you are looking for ultimate traction.

Snow tires are not all that expensive as they keep your summer tires from wear and tear. . .

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Nice, we have the FWD as I didn't want to pay anymore for AWD. Also lower mileage and more to break down but it's irrevalent.

Wide tires in snow are horrible even if AWD up here in ME. Too much snow and resistance with driving down fresh snow and unplowed back woods roads. If you take well trodden routes and there's the traffic, packed down ice and snow and way too many stupid drivers and accidents.

Solution: I won't take car out even in a storm or next day until things return to routine. Reason I bought a Buick as I don't want it too much exposed to elements, retired these days of coarse. Yes, have been caught up in a few squalls and sand will catch up underneath rear quarters and such but not as a daily driver.

Wash car all winter long right in driveway but temp has to be above freezing and sunny for sure, usually in afternoons. Now other car, nope. On trickle charger over in shed Nov-Apr.... Good subject, should have a few more replies.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
The Lacrosse is our daily driver. The wife and i are also retired. I owned big caprices and impalas that were rear wheel drive with posit traction. Always used snow tires, those cars went every where. Never owned a FWD car. Got tired of dealing with snows, went to AWD vehicles. All have been suv and cross overs. Wanted a car again thats way i bought the lacrosse. I also own a 15 Enclave AWD that i don't drive much that sits in the garage most of the time. Although a few weeks ago we had to take a trip into the mountains of West Virginia and Maryland and choose to take the Enclave for the type of tires and height clearance and glad we did because we encountered heavy snow and covered roads. Had no problems but boy did the E get dirty. Got a bath before going back into the garage.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Roger that on the AWD's. Have got to be better than FWD only for snow and heavy rain storms. Our Buick is in essence our daily driver but not driven daily since work is no longer on agenda lol.

FirstBuick

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just drove my 2015 FWD for the first time in the snow-I was hoping this car would be good in the snow.....but it was horrible. Brand new tires (Cooper Ultra Touring). Am out of town, and drove my 2007 Ford Five Hundred (same tires), it goes through anything. Kind of disappointed in the handling in the snow.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
Just drove my 2015 FWD for the first time in the snow-I was hoping this car would be good in the snow.....but it was horrible. Brand new tires (Cooper Ultra Touring). Am out of town, and drove my 2007 Ford Five Hundred (same tires), it goes through anything. Kind of disappointed in the handling in the snow.
That model ford had some that were made with AWD.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I find the nannies could be too aggressive in fresh snow/ice. Turning everything I could off gave me control and ability back, contrary to the traction control's entire purpose for being. :p

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium AWD
First winter with my 2017 AWD Premium. My car came with the 20" wheels. For winter I picked up a set of the factory 18" wheels on eBay and mounted Blizzak WS80's size 245/50R18. They dig in and handle like a dream. A little louder that the all-seasons as would be expected, but also improved ride quality over the 20s (as would also be expected). The combination of the 18" ride quality with the Dynamic Drive sport suspension is a winner. Buick should have offered the sport suspension with your choice of wheel size. I still love the looks of the 20s, but more people would probably have been happier with the sport suspension and the smaller wheels.

I still absolutely love my Lacrosse every time I drive it and have had zero problems. Still as tight as the day I got it with not a squeak or rattle anywhere. It kills me that they are discontinuing this car. It was almost perfect as is and I can only imagine what the Avenir could have been. All Buick had to do was drop in the Twin Turbo V6 from the XTS, upgrade the interior just a little more (sport seats and real aluminum trim), add the Brembo brakes from the GS, and a couple more features (rain sensing wipers, power side window shades, etc) and it would have been perfect. Oh well!

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
With the Goodyears i was surprised and pleased.
I have the FWD with the Goodyear Eagle LS2s, and I have found them to be excellent tires. 36,000 miles thus far with no complaints at all. But I was surprised at all of the negative reviews of these tires on Tire Rack.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
I still absolutely love my Lacrosse every time I drive it and have had zero problems. Still as tight as the day I got it with not a squeak or rattle anywhere. It kills me that they are discontinuing this car. It was almost perfect as is and I can only imagine what the Avenir could have been.
Our experience also.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
I have the FWD with the Goodyear Eagle LS2s, and I have found them to be excellent tires. 36,000 miles thus far with no complaints at all. But I was surprised at all of the negative reviews of these tires on Tire Rack.
I am also surprised with the Goodyears. Inspection in February of 18 had 8 3/2s tread. Inspection January 19 after 10,000 Miles 7 3/2s. Not too bad. Eagle RS-A2

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
Living in a "Lake Effect" Snow Belt Area... I also have some dang near 40 years of driving experience in all types of snow and ice conditions, so here's fun share to this Thread...

I've only had my '13 V6 FWD LaCrosse a month, so not a great deal of snowed road wheel time yet.

For comparison and contrasting purposes, I've also had '12 V6 AWD Cadillac CTS with same 3.6 Motor.

So, how does the AWD compare to FWD you might ask ? ? ?

And... Both with same Michelin All Season Tires.

In a few words... There aint a whole heck of a lot of difference...

The automatic Nannies will light up and engage when you need 'em, and when you don't...

Both the will get you through the conditions and from point A to Point B with only minimal white knuckle syndrome, and a tad bit of squirrelines.

The FWD takes just a few seconds more to gain composure and the Nannies to settle down.

There really are so, so many infinitesimal factors that come into play with each every snow fall.
Rarely is one Storm's snow, sleet, ice, pellets, flakes, drifts, slush, etc. the same day to day...
The Eskimo's Native Language has over 1,000 words to describe "SNOW" and deservedly so.

As a Teen Driver in the 80's, we all drove RWD 70's V8 Muscle Cars and most all of us survived and are around today.

Bottom line, know you and your vehicle's abilities, drive and don't drive as conditions warrant.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
With the AWD not one time did any of the so called Nannies come into play. There were times when i was driving around FWD cars that were not able to gain traction.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The late model LaCrosse had Twin Clutch AWD with GKN rear diff and it is one of the better systems on the market today, besting xDrive and SH-AWD.

The earlier models had Haldex 4 AWD with with torque vectoring which is also a good AWD system.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Yes too, last decade wife had PT Cruiser, liked it OK but it was the very worst in snow and had long wheelbase, horrible. Prior she had a Subaru Justy that I started using. Unstoppable, could do anything and it was only FWD, 44MPG 3 cylinder but with 12" narrow tires. Had more fun with that car forging flooded roads, in blizzards but as all, time had came and gone. Never had it stuck, always dodging deer.

Never would have a Buick or Mustang to drive 64 miles daily too and fro work, too costly to operate and maintain over back woods roads, some dirt. So happy days!

Last edited:

Petie

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
First winter with my 2017 AWD Premium. My car came with the 20" wheels. For winter I picked up a set of the factory 18" wheels on eBay and mounted Blizzak WS80's size 245/50R18. They dig in and handle like a dream. A little louder that the all-seasons as would be expected, but also improved ride quality over the 20s (as would also be expected). The combination of the 18" ride quality with the Dynamic Drive sport suspension is a winner. Buick should have offered the sport suspension with your choice of wheel size. I still love the looks of the 20s, but more people would probably have been happier with the sport suspension and the smaller wheels.

I still absolutely love my Lacrosse every time I drive it and have had zero problems. Still as tight as the day I got it with not a squeak or rattle anywhere. It kills me that they are discontinuing this car. It was almost perfect as is and I can only imagine what the Avenir could have been. All Buick had to do was drop in the Twin Turbo V6 from the XTS, upgrade the interior just a little more (sport seats and real aluminum trim), add the Brembo brakes from the GS, and a couple more features (rain sensing wipers, power side window shades, etc) and it would have been perfect. Oh well!
I love the idea of the Brembos off of a GS, anyone know if this is doable?

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium AWD
I don’t know from experience but it seems like the Brembos would be a direct bolt on. The Regal and LaCrosse are built on basically the same chassis. All the part numbers are readily available on line so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out. I’m seriously thinking about doing this myself too.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Yes, doable in some instances, several have changed to Shelby brakes (Brembos) on 302 forum, but way more problems as such:

1. Larger on rear could allow rear wheels to brake harder than front, not balanced and ABS may not know.
  2. Rotors and calipers may not clear wheels, too big.
  3. Not needed unless racing, they brake way more than for just speed increase.
  4. Spare tire? Forget it, why many only have air pumps. Finally bought one that will clear front brakes on other car and it was expensive.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.