AWD Off Message

14EncoreAWD

Buick Ownership
Buick
Anyone else with the AWD Encore get the "AWD off" message in the DIC from time to time while driving? Just trying to see what might be causing it. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Hasn't happened in the snow yet but it would be rather inconvenient if it did. Turn the car off and back on, and the message goes away and all seems fine.

SE Mass Encore 14

Buick Ownership
Buick
I found this in an older string from this forum - and cherry picked the relevant stuff - - and emailed to my dealer - - then they did a 'code' update in my last service visit . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==============================================================================

This just happened to me today too. Today I started it up in the morning (about 34F) with a little snow on the ground. Drove a few feet and the AWD-off warning came on with 4 beeps. Drove another 100 ft and the warning went off. I probably would have thought it was an anomaly if I hadn't seen the postings on here. We'll see if it comes back the next time there is some snow on the ground. No way the AWD could've been overheating from a cold start.

I took my vehicle to local dealer yesterday, they reprogrammed rear differential clutch, no problem so far;; however they told me if AWD off alarm returns, they would then replace that clutch assembly per discussion with Buick tech group

I found this new message... update 24March 2014, The updated calibration will be available in TIS2Web soon. Probably the updated calibration doesn't fix the problem ... the **soon**, I don't like :-(

The All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) indicator may be illuminated or an AWD Disabled message may be displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC) on some 2013-2014 Encore and Trax (Canada only) models equipped with AWD.

Code 173 may be set. Code 173 is not a DTC, but an action taken by the Rear Differential Control Module. If any DTCs are set, follow the diagnostics in the appropriate Service Information.

This condition may be caused by the software in the Rear Differential Control Module (RDCM). Updated Rear Differential Control Module software is being developed to address this condition. If Code 173 is observed, It’s necessary to reprogram the Rear Differential Control Module. The updated calibration will be available in TIS2Web soon.

We took our Encore, now 1 year old and ~20k miles, in to the dealer for an oil change last month, mentioned as usual our continuing concerns RE AWD shutdowns - and whaddaya know, they updated the software and told us the problem should be fixed!
Better yet, so far it seems to actually be fixed. At least the message hasn't occurred since the update.

Anyway, we're delighted they fixed the problem, and still very happy with the car.

This issue happened the 3rd time, so I literally printed this thread, took it to my dealer. They instantly knew what it was and "reprogrammed" the clutch something or other. My dealership is always great. Hope it has fixed the issue

I have a 2014. My car does this too. I have an appointment soon. Let's see what happens. Re starting the car does not re start the AWD for my car though.
Anyone else with the AWD Encore get the "AWD off" message in the DIC from time to time while driving? Just trying to see what might be causing it. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Hasn't happened in the snow yet but it would be rather inconvenient if it did. Turn the car off and back on, and the message goes away and all seems fine.

shyannlindy

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore

In Wyoming, March 3, 2015 traveled about 5 miles in temps below 20 degrees on both wet and icy streets. While going about 15 mph on snow packed street, my 2014 Encore (3.8K) started to fishtail badly and at same time a "ding" sounded. I let the vehicle coast to a stop and the All Wheel Drive Message was on the DIC. Turned off ignition then on. Still showed same message. Turned off again and waited for help. By the time someone came and I turned on the vehicle, the message was gone so drove directly to dealership. Buick dealership called Michigan and they wanted to know how I was driving when it appeared. Been several hours and no news yet as to repairs. This seems to be a recurring theme--when are they going to do a recall? This scared me--good thing I was traveling so very slow and not on the interstate.

Last edited:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
I’m curious…..

Why would you sit & wait? Doesn’t the car still operate in Front Wheel Drive?

I always wished that they had placed a switch on the dash so that we could choose when to engage the AWD :(
(Even if it’s only available under 30)

Shoot, we’re intelligent people that can decide when or when not to engage.

(I’m always a bit weary of “Automatic” things)

shyannlindy

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
I’m curious…..

Why would you sit & wait? Doesn’t the car still operate in Front Wheel Drive?

I always wished that they had placed a switch on the dash so that we could choose when to engage the AWD :(
(Even if it’s only available under 30)

Shoot, we’re intelligent people that can decide when or when not to engage.

(I’m always a bit weary of “Automatic” things)

Good question--However I nearly sideswiped two parked cars on the very narrow street and it rattled me a bit. Searched through the manual and there was nothing helpful so called hubby who followed me to the nearby dealership and I left the car there and needed a ride home.

shyannlindy

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
In Wyoming, March 3, 2015 traveled about 5 miles in temps below 20 degrees on both wet and icy streets. While going about 15 mph on snow packed street, my 2014 Encore (3.8K) started to fishtail badly and at same time a "ding" sounded. I let the vehicle coast to a stop and the All Wheel Drive Message was on the DIC. Turned off ignition then on. Still showed same message. Turned off again and waited for help. By the time someone came and I turned on the vehicle, the message was gone so drove directly to dealership. Buick dealership called Michigan and they wanted to know how I was driving when it appeared. Been several hours and no news yet as to repairs. This seems to be a recurring theme--when are they going to do a recall? This scared me--good thing I was traveling so very slow and not on the interstate.

Followup: March 4th the Buick service manager said they could not duplicate the problem and that as soon as the Encore ignition is turned off the error messages are erased. He also said car didn't need any software updates.

We still considered the car unsafe (winter is not over here and we need AWD to be reliable) so they gave us a loaner car and made more calls to Michigan and were advised to reinstall the software update. We were told it updated successfully so we picked up the car and will hope for the best. Other than this one incident, we are very pleased with the Encore. Once again our local Buick dealership has earned our loyalty.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Do keep us posted as to "if" the Update took and how it now responds.

My wife said that when the "warning" came up on her's, she hit the "traction control" on-off and never saw it come up again during her trip?? (not sure that really had anything to do with it) :)

shyannlindy

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
Sorry, I, too, tried the traction control switch, turning it off and on, and that didn't turn off the "AWD Off" on the DIC. Dealer said they checked after the software was reinstalled and confirmed it did install correctly. They said the original factory install may have failed and may not have been checked. So far all is great. Have a terrific day...

Detroit, USA

Hello all,

I'm glad to hear that some of you have been working with your dealerships regarding this AWD concern, but I apologize if you have experienced this situation. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any future questions or concern and have a wonderful evening.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Buick Customer Care

Rob709

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had that message appear yesterday on my 2017 Premium Encore. We were having very snowy weather and the message appeared. I turned the engine off and restarted and the message disappeared. Not sure what the issue is or how to solve it. Don't have the time to go to the dealership right now so will be driving my Lincoln SUV for the time being. I had a similar issue with my 2013 Encore, message would appear when weather got below zero but not consistently. This 2017 Encore only has about 5,500 miles. Not very confident in this car.

Rob709

rubbersoul

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello all,

I'm glad to hear that some of you have been working with your dealerships regarding this AWD concern, but I apologize if you have experienced this situation. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any future questions or concern and have a wonderful evening.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Buick Customer Care

*tries to send message*

"Buick Customer Service has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Nice...

g_516670

'

I did, and it was in a blizzard, NOT fun at all.....

EncoreOne

Marquette
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have had the same message 2 or 3 times while driving in the snow in the last 2 years all so. When I came to a stop sign I just turned car off and on and the AWD was back working again.

ken-clifton

Buick Ownership
2018 Encore Premium
There is a GM TSB that addresses "Loss of All Wheel Drive." The GM document number is 5035680, #17436-02 dated Apr 5, 2018. This applies to 2013-2018 Buick Encore vehicles with AWD... The issue is corrosion of the harness connector and the Differential Control Module. Special coverage for this issue for six years or 72,000 miles. Repairs at no-charge to the customer. Scanning using the GM GDS2 software the diagnostic trouble codes C0800 or U0136 may be found as well.

Deborah

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
2015 Buick Encore purchased as dealer certified, pre-owned with approx. 25,000 miles. First "major" snow fall for the season came and while driving just a short distance, car was slipping/loosing traction and then AWD message came on saying system was off. Checked manual which said this is precautionary as to not overheat?? Purchased car for piece of mind in New England storms and because we live on hills. Brought to dealership who basically said there was no codes registering and the latest update was installed for 2015 car. So, now what? Would replacing tires, which came with the vehicle, make a difference? Please advise - Buick Customer Care, if you are reading, please respond with technical insight as well. thank you.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
2015 Buick Encore purchased as dealer certified, pre-owned with approx. 25,000 miles. First "major" snow fall for the season came and while driving just a short distance, car was slipping/loosing traction and then AWD message came on saying system was off. Checked manual which said this is precautionary as to not overheat?? Purchased car for piece of mind in New England storms and because we live on hills. Brought to dealership who basically said there was no codes registering and the latest update was installed for 2015 car. So, now what? Would replacing tires, which came with the vehicle, make a difference? Please advise - Buick Customer Care, if you are reading, please respond with technical insight as well. thank you.

Read Ken's post above. As much as some dealer service writers hate when people bring in TSB #s and other pertinent information, you may want to point this one out. It may be that the tech who worked on it was not aware of this TSB, or simply didn't bother to look.

Replacing the tires will not help. This is an electrical or computer issue.

If you don't get any satisfaction from your dealer you may want to have it looked at by another GM dealer and call Buick customer care yourself. Contact Us | Call Buick

kharrisma

Buick Ownership
Encore
Ditto here.... 2013 Encore with about 32000 miles on it, and last night was the third time since this Winter started that I've seen that particular message pop up. Always when it's really cold, and usually a turn-off and re-start clears it up... and one time just shifting it into neutral and back into drive cleared it up, or seemed to anyway. Just had the vehicle scanned for codes at my local service provider (I was also concerned about the tranny jolting into second gear intermittently but frequently,) and was told that there aren't any codes in there. Strange. There's still some original factory warranty life left on the drive train, so I guess like was said, I'll have to print this thread out and bring it and the car to the nearest Buick dealer while it still is under warranty. Unfortunately for me, the closest dealer doesn't have the greatest reputation around here, and the next nearest is quite some distance from here. I'll give him a shot and see how it goes.

kharrisma

Buick Ownership
Encore
There is a GM TSB that addresses "Loss of All Wheel Drive." The GM document number is 5035680, #17436-02 dated Apr 5, 2018. This applies to 2013-2018 Buick Encore vehicles with AWD... The issue is corrosion of the harness connector and the Differential Control Module. Special coverage for this issue for six years or 72,000 miles. Repairs at no-charge to the customer. Scanning using the GM GDS2 software the diagnostic trouble codes C0800 or U0136 may be found as well.
Hi Ken... apparently GM TSBs are not available to the general public, GM owner or not. Do you have a source for this document so I can print it out and bring it to the dealer when I go?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!