AWD Shuts Down @ Cold Start

CharlieInNEK

Buick Newbie
Buick
We love our '13 Encore AWD but are concerned about an odd behavior. From time to time when we start out, we get a chime and a message that the "AWD system is OFF." Often, but not always, this is just after backing the car up.

The Owner's Manual defines this message as relating to overheating of the AWD system, and recommends letting the car cool off and then restarting.

Our experience is that the AWD is shutting down from a cold start. There is no possibility the unit has overheated unless driving 20 feet can accomplish that.

Usually we can just stop, turn the car off, and restart, and the message will not recur. However yesterday (in the snow) we had to stop twice; after the first restart it just happened again.

I am concerned because snowy conditions, as we had yesterday, are just when you want AWD. It isn't helpful to have AWD that works in nice weather and not in bad. And it's a pain in the neck to have to stop and restart the engine to reset it.

Rioux

QC, Canada
Buick Encore 2013
Same thing, I had the same problem (2x) in winter conditions, since 3 weeks ( 10 °F ) I don't understand to overheating of the AWD system !!! :confused:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
Good investigative work PearlAWD - Most likely “Customer Service” will be jumping on this shortly.

Least the “fail mode” is dropping out of AWD – as opposed to staying in??? (trying to look on the bright side):unsure:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
So the warning starts when the car first moves? My tires pressures are within one pound on all four wheels and the coldest start is just under 30F degrees.

Remember too when above 37 moh the rear wheels decouple and free wheel.

ninja_nan

Buick Newbie
Buick Encore
Murphy's Law.....yesterday morning I read CharlieInNEK's post and thought "I hope this doesn't happen with my Encore"....sure enough, yesterday I get the same warning. Temp was approx -15C. I left work and drove about 5 miles (snowy conditions). I stopped to pick up mail and when I restarted the vehicle and put it in reverse, the chime sounded and the error message popped up. Wasn't a cold start, but system shouldn't have overheated after 5 miles either. I remember reading that you need to shut off the vehicle to reset the message so I pulled over and shut down. When I restarted the vehicle there was no chime but the error was still there. I drove for about a half a block and then there was a bit of a clunking sound (almost like the AWD kicked in) and the error message went away. This morning there were no error messages. In the Opel Mokka forum it almost seems like they don't really have a complete solution to this issue yet, as people who have had the software upgrade are still getting the error. I'm hoping my error message was a one-off. If not, hopefully Buick Customer Service has a real solution.

drfreeman777

Buick Newbie
Buick
it was in the 20s outside when it did it to me also.
so you guys are saying if i pull over and restart the car it will
fix it?

Detroit, USA
We love our '13 Encore AWD but are concerned about an odd behavior. From time to time when we start out, we get a chime and a message that the "AWD system is OFF." Often, but not always, this is just after backing the car up.

The Owner's Manual defines this message as relating to overheating of the AWD system, and recommends letting the car cool off and then restarting.

Our experience is that the AWD is shutting down from a cold start. There is no possibility the unit has overheated unless driving 20 feet can accomplish that.

Usually we can just stop, turn the car off, and restart, and the message will not recur. However yesterday (in the snow) we had to stop twice; after the first restart it just happened again.

I am concerned because snowy conditions, as we had yesterday, are just when you want AWD. It isn't helpful to have AWD that works in nice weather and not in bad. And it's a pain in the neck to have to stop and restart the engine to reset it.
Hello CharlieInNEK,

I am really sorry to hear this! I would be frustrated as well. The issue sounds like something technical that our certified technicians would be happy to assist you with. You may send us a private message at any time with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership. We are happy to help with a resolution!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Detroit, USA
Murphy's Law.....yesterday morning I read CharlieInNEK's post and thought "I hope this doesn't happen with my Encore"....sure enough, yesterday I get the same warning. Temp was approx -15C. I left work and drove about 5 miles (snowy conditions). I stopped to pick up mail and when I restarted the vehicle and put it in reverse, the chime sounded and the error message popped up. Wasn't a cold start, but system shouldn't have overheated after 5 miles either. I remember reading that you need to shut off the vehicle to reset the message so I pulled over and shut down. When I restarted the vehicle there was no chime but the error was still there. I drove for about a half a block and then there was a bit of a clunking sound (almost like the AWD kicked in) and the error message went away. This morning there were no error messages. In the Opel Mokka forum it almost seems like they don't really have a complete solution to this issue yet, as people who have had the software upgrade are still getting the error. I'm hoping my error message was a one-off. If not, hopefully Buick Customer Service has a real solution.
Hi Ninja_Man!

I am sorry to hear this is occurring with your vehicle! I would be happy to schedule an appointment at your local GM dealership for a diagnosis. Since the Customer Service department is not technically certified, we rely heavily on our dealerships for technical information. You are welcome to send a private message at any time with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership. I can help arrange a time for an appointment, and we can then work towards a resolution!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

PearlAWD

Twin Cities,Minnesota
Buick Encore Premium AWD
Good investigative work PearlAWD - Most likely “Customer Service” will be jumping on this shortly.

Least the “fail mode” is dropping out of AWD – as opposed to staying in??? (trying to look on the bright side):unsure:
Thanks for the compliment..

No AWD issues so far with the new snow we picked up in the Twin Cities and it's suppose to be in the single digits for highs over the next few days....
:headbang:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
Sitting outside last night it got in the teens. When I started at noon it the car read 20F with the tire pressure at 38 psi on all four, not a peep from the AWD warning lights yet.

jimt

Buick
Today i had the message error appear also, this is the 2nd time for me, once when i went over an uneven road the error came on, thought it was because one tire went off the road possibly, but today after starting car and backing out of garage the error dinged and stated AWD off, however it cleared about 15 seconds later, i was on snow and AWD worked just fine , not sure what to think maybe a call to the dealer is necessary:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
I do hope they soon acknowledge the issue, diagnose the culprit accurately and come to a quick resolution. Hate to think we paid extra thinking AWD was the way to go only to have a reoccurring issue.

BTW – drove our’s yesterday in 2” of fresh snow and it was kinda cool – my first AWD. Seemed if you stopped on the hill and then pulled out, the front would spin just a bit then it just went on up the hill. Backed up the hill without any tires spinning. Still, may buy Snow tires & wheels. (better stopping?)

Get your turbo buick badge right here!