Back-up camera out of focus on 2013

Thread starter #1

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Hi all,

I just noticed today that my backup camera is out of focus on my 2013, to the point where it's not useful. I did a search but couldn't find anything. I suspect I need to replace the camera, but I thought I'd check first if anyone here had this problem and, if so, how they fixed it.

Thanks for any help.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
Hi all,

I just noticed today that my backup camera is out of focus on my 2013, to the point where it's not useful. I did a search but couldn't find anything. I suspect I need to replace the camera, but I thought I'd check first if anyone here had this problem and, if so, how they fixed it.

Thanks for any help.
This may sound silly, but did you try cleaning the camera lens? Schmutz that builds up on the lens can distort the image.

Thread starter #3

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
This may sound silly, but did you try cleaning the camera lens? Schmutz that builds up on the lens can distort the image.
Yes, I cleaned the lens. I should have mentioned that. There is an image in the camera when I put the car in reverse, it's just way out of focus. I understand the camera is a wide-angle, fixed focus, so I suspect it needs to be replaced. That looks like a tough job though for a fumble-fingers like me.

Thanks again for any insight.

Thread starter #4
Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Just in case anyone is following along, I replaced the camera today and that solved my problem. I have no idea what might have caused the camera to malfunction and look out-of-focus. Based on the lack of responses I got here, I suspect that the problem is not very common. That's good.

I bought an OEM camera from one of the online GM parts stores for just over $100 and it took me about 90 minutes to install it. You have to remove the trunk lid liner to access the nuts holding the trunk lid trim to which the camera is attached. Six 10 mm nuts hold the trunk lid trim in place. Once those are removed, you can remove the trim by carefully pulling it. The trim has a pin near the center Buick logo that fits into plastic retaining clip and serves to properly locate the trim and hold it into place when you reinstall it.

The camera snaps in place and is held in place with retaining clips and you have to break the clips to remove the old one. Fitment on the new one was slightly different, so it had to be "persuaded" just slightly, but only after making sure it was lined up properly. If you install it improperly, I can't see any way to uninstall it without breaking it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.