Back Up Camera Question

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
The 2017 and 2018 model are identical - page 185 of the owners manual (available online as pdf) has a graphic showing it's location. Above license plate and slightly to left of center (looking at it from the rear).

For brighter viewing at night on rear vision camera - thinking of upgrading the backup lights (which appear to be incandescent bulbs); Upgrading to high output LED should help... Look here for backup bulb....

2018 Buick Encore LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs

jeff

p.s. looking at options for backup bulb - I see that there are two options - one is a CAN bulb where on board computer can tell whether it is out or not... I'll check and post back which option we need to order.

Last edited:

Bdpity

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Any other tips?? I just tried to adjust the camera with the Menu/Tune ring on my 2013 Encore. Premium nav the works. I didn't get any adjustment available with car in reverse and pressing the ring in. ???

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
The 2017 and 2018 model are identical - page 185 of the owners manual (available online as pdf) has a graphic showing it's location. Above license plate and slightly to left of center (looking at it from the rear).

For brighter viewing at night on rear vision camera - thinking of upgrading the backup lights (which appear to be incandescent bulbs); Upgrading to high output LED should help... Look here for backup bulb....

2018 Buick Encore LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs

jeff

p.s. looking at options for backup bulb - I see that there are two options - one is a CAN bulb where on board computer can tell whether it is out or not... I'll check and post back which option we need to order.

I put High Output LED bulbs as my backup lights and they are really bright. Just an FYI when installing them. I recommend taking out the tail lamp to make it easier and also when you put the bulb in the socket, make sure you put electrical tape to hold it in the socket because if not it will fall into the lamp. it happened to me and it was a pain to take out. good luck.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
I put High Output LED bulbs as my backup lights and they are really bright. Just an FYI when installing them. I recommend taking out the tail lamp to make it easier and also when you put the bulb in the socket, make sure you put electrical tape to hold it in the socket because if not it will fall into the lamp. it happened to me and it was a pain to take out. good luck.
Hi David,
Can you tell me if the backup led bulb was of the "CAN Bus" variety? ...or is it a plain bulb? I want to make sure I order the correct one.

Also, I see that they offer different colors of light - any specific one you recommend? I was thinking "natural - 4500k".

Thanks!
jeff

Last edited:

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
Hi David,
Can you tell me if the backup led bulb was of the "CAN Bus" variety? ...or is it a plain bulb? I want to make sure I order the correct one.

Also, I see that they offer different colors of light - any specific one you recommend? I was thinking "natural - 4500k".

Thanks!
jeff

If I remember correctly it isn't a CAN Bus bulb. It's not a German vehicle so its not required in my opinion. Natural white is the best way to go not to show attention to the cops lol. Any shade of white I think would be good

Margaret

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
In my 2014 Encore Premium, I can adjust the brightness of the back-up camera via the Tune/Menu button on the center console.

With the car in Reverse,..( brake on )...
Press the outer ring of the Tune/Menu button.
A slider scale will appear on the left side of the screen,
Rotate the Tune/Menu button to achieve the desired brightness.
Press outer ring to set

Hope this helps
Thank you so much for this tip, I have been complaining about the camera in my 2015 Encore for three years, and their suggestion to me was to buy a different vehicle because the camera was working. I showed your tip to the service manager and they had no clue this was an option to clear up the camera. I now have a clear back up view, sure glad I didn't buy a different vehicle. Thanks again!!!

g_767494

I have a 2015 Buick Encore. I appreciate the tip on how to adjust the camera (comment 7). The picture went from fuzzy to clear with a little adjusting! I wish I knew this when I bought the vehicle 15 months ago.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.