• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Backup / Rear View Cameras

EverPhoto

Buick Ownership
Buick
Gave up on the idea of converting a standard NTSC video signal to work with the built-in LCD panel so on to Plan B - get an external GPS system that has a standard NTSC input and run a simple rear-view camera into it.

It seems, though, the options are limited for any current model GPS's out there.

Garmin had several that had inputs a few years ago but it seems that feature isn't being put in anymore except for their Truck specific versions. The Dezl 560LMT is the one I am looking at.

TomTom doesn't seem to have any solution at all.

Magellan has units that work with their new wireless backup camera.

Anyone out there know anything further?

I do have a stand-alone rear-view/LCD panel I could always put in but then I will be up to 3 LCD screens - built-in, GPS, rear-view. Would be preferable to at least consolidate the GPS and rear-view into a single screen.

----

I'm going to give the Magellan RoadMate 5255T-LM + wireless rear view camera combo kit a shot. I'm leary about the quality of the wireless video. I'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
I'm interested to see how this goes for you. We have a LaCrosse which does have a rear camera but believe it or not I wish it also had a front facing camera for my wife. It's a fairly large car and it's hard for her to tell how far forward to pull into a spot. Sometimes she doesn't pull in far enough because she's worried about hitting a parking garage wall or whatever. I'm glad she's careful but often the car's tail is sticking out further than it should :)

AK Goat

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
Verano Premium
I'm interested to see how this goes for you. We have a LaCrosse which does have a rear camera but believe it or not I wish it also had a front facing camera for my wife. It's a fairly large car and it's hard for her to tell how far forward to pull into a spot. Sometimes she doesn't pull in far enough because she's worried about hitting a parking garage wall or whatever. I'm glad she's careful but often the car's tail is sticking out further than it should :)
For the same reasons you mentioned, I got one of those laser parking assist widgets to help my wife park the Lacrosse. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-Innovations-37310-Garage-Single/dp/B0008D6NK0/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1347242638&sr=1-10&keywords=parking+assist[/ame]

Only $18.00 and works very well.

I had a Toyota Camry V-6 when I was overseas (called the Toyota Aurion over there) and it came standard with front and rear parking sensors. Seriously, those ought to be standard here in the US also.

EverPhoto

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah - I saw that a while ago and certainly appreciate the post. That system being demoed in the video is $1,399. Way more than I would want to spend to add navigation and a rear-view camera. Here's the link to it:

http://autospatech.com/navi/buick/buick-lacrosse-factory-navigation.html

I didn't get the OEM NAVI system because I thought $700 was a bit much to add navigation. I prefer a stand-alone GPS that I can put in our van when needed on family vacations and my old GPS was off-brand and no longer being updated. It had to go anyway.

Have you guys seen this on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BVmuTW7WY

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
For the same reasons you mentioned, I got one of those laser parking assist widgets to help my wife park the Lacrosse. http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-Innovations-37310-Garage-Single/dp/B0008D6NK0/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1347242638&sr=1-10&keywords=parking+assist

Only $18.00 and works very well.

I had a Toyota Camry V-6 when I was overseas (called the Toyota Aurion over there) and it came standard with front and rear parking sensors. Seriously, those ought to be standard here in the US also.
Thanks for the tip but we don't have a garage at our house, I was talking about an indoor parking garage structure.

EverPhoto

Buick Ownership
Buick
The Magellan came in last night and I was able to install the rear-view camera. Took a bit of work since the backup light on the Verano is in the trunk lid. I had to drill a 1/2" hole in the rear-bumper fascia above the license plate to be able to route the wires from outside of the car. Then I had to pop a grommet just above the license plate but on the inside of the fascia to route the wires into the trunk itself. That wasn't actually too bad once I figured out the game plan. From there I snaked the wires toward the drivers side of the trunk underneath the fabric panels. I installed the wireless transmitter on the left trunk arm and snaked the wires under the arm panel up to where the backup light light bulb was. I stripped back about a 1/4" of the wire insulation leading to the light bulb and soldered the wireless transmitter's power wires to that and then wrapped them in electrical tape. Put everything back together and it looks good. Only thing showing is the small, black transmitter box but it's pretty much out of the way tucked under the trunk deck lid arm.

I haven't had the chance to mount the GPS itself yet. Will do that over lunch today to finish the job. I did do a quick test and the rear-view does indeed become visible on the GPS when I put the car in reverse so all is setup properly.

The Magellan transmitter takes a normal NTSC video input and I had another rear-view camera sitting ( not the one from Magellan ) that I was able to plug in as well just to see if it would work and it does. The power connecter was actually exactly the same. I'm guessing they are all pretty much standard so if I don't like Magellan's camera I can put in a different one. Between the two I preferred Magellans as it had a significantly wider angle of view but the other one had infrared LEDS for use at night. Not sure how the Magellan will work at night yet but will know tonight. I presume there's enough light from the Verano's backup and tail lights to reasonably light things up. If not I'll just find a better camera.

Finally, this GPS will work with a non-wireless camera as it does have a video-in mini-USB port. You could snake wires all the way from the back of the car to the front and plug it in. The wireless is nice to be able to avoid that, though.

Had a chance to play around with the Magellan/Rear-View camera more today. Seems to work pretty well, especially when combined with the backup assist beeping. Still haven't had a chance to play around with it much an night but from what little I have used it, it seems the tail lights are providing adequate light to be able to see.

Last edited:

verano4u

Canada
Buick Ownership
2012 Verano - Cyber Gray
I have the Navigation option in my car and wasn't to keen on having one in there since I already had a portable one. But the car was on the lot and had everything I wanted and just happened to have Nav.

Anyway, I really like the Nav unit and I don't have to keep fiddling around with my portable one anymore with sticking on the dash or windshield and having it plugged in for power with wire hanging around. Looked junky and out of place (doesn't matter which model you have), plus had to hide it everytime so no one would want to steal it. Make sure you don't drop it either. :D

EverPhoto

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the Navigation option in my car and wasn't to keen on having one in there since I already had a portable one. But the car was on the lot and had everything I wanted and just happened to have Nav.

Anyway, I really like the Nav unit and I don't have to keep fiddling around with my portable one anymore with sticking on the dash or windshield and having it plugged in for power with wire hanging around. Looked junky and out of place (doesn't matter which model you have), plus had to hide it everytime so no one would want to steal it. Make sure you don't drop it either. :D
Just want to clarify that we're talking about rear-view cameras in this thread. The Magellan GPS/NAV is a side-show only because it had the rear-view camera feature. Even if I had the built-in NAV I still wouldn't have rear-view and would still be at two screens to get it. It's just a matter of whether the NAV is on the built-in screen or the external screen. Unfortunately, the built-in screen doesn't have an auxiliary video input port ( at least one with an actual plug - perhaps the actual circuit board in the panel does ) or we could pull this all off with only that built-in screen.

Dan_Lockwood

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello to all here...

I'm a new member and also a new Verano owner. I've had my 2013 for two weeks tomorrow.

I was looking at the 12's but there were some items missing in my opinion.

I have the NAV option, but even without the NAV option a backup camera now comes standard. It does NOT have the guide lines like the aftermarket YouTube video installation shows, but it's still very usable.

Also with the 13 you the Blind Spot detection as well as Parking Lot Rear Cross traffic sensor.

I know all this does not help you out on if you should get an aftermarket one or use the Megellan dash mounted one. But for the money the Magellan one mounted nicely could be a viable option. My neighbor has a 12 CTS and she only has a small rectangular spot in her rear view mirrow to see behind her.

I'll just keep lurking around here as I'm sure I will have questions or issues that you people have probably already come across. I will "search" before starting a new thread though.

Thanks, Dan

EverPhoto

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello to all here...

I'm a new member and also a new Verano owner. I've had my 2013 for two weeks tomorrow.

I was looking at the 12's but there were some items missing in my opinion.

I have the NAV option, but even without the NAV option a backup camera now comes standard. It does NOT have the guide lines like the aftermarket YouTube video installation shows, but it's still very usable.

Also with the 13 you the Blind Spot detection as well as Parking Lot Rear Cross traffic sensor.

I know all this does not help you out on if you should get an aftermarket one or use the Megellan dash mounted one. But for the money the Magellan one mounted nicely could be a viable option. My neighbor has a 12 CTS and she only has a small rectangular spot in her rear view mirrow to see behind her.

I'll just keep lurking around here as I'm sure I will have questions or issues that you people have probably already come across. I will "search" before starting a new thread though.

Thanks, Dan
All sounds good, Dan, and welcome to the forum. I'm rather new here myself.

Everything seems to be working pretty well with the Magellan. I did look at those rear-view mirror versions but getting one of those that had the OnStar stuff in it as well as the rear-view was very pricey. The 5" screen on the Magellan makes the rear-view a pretty good size, almost as big as the built-in 7" screen, so it's quit easy to view. Although to start off I am using the windshield mount that came with the Magellan I am going to make my own custom mount so that I can tuck it into the little cubbyhole in front of the tiny window on the left and hide most of the wires. Will take a pic when it's all over.

I have to think that the 2012 LCD panel has a video-in circuit somewhere but at this point the Magellan was the easiest way to do it for my Verano without taking the dash apart to find out. On the GPS side the Magellan works quite well. Has alot of nice features.