Bad oil leak

Kyle37

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
Thread starter #1
My belt popped twice the past week. I got it changed again today. They said it’s a bad oil leak that they can’t locate. I have the 2.4 engine in the verano. They changed the tensioner but the oil is getting all over the belt and alternator. Has anyone had this problem before ?

Kyle37

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
Thread starter #3
You have to clean the area off that has the leak and then check for the source.
They said they checked thoroughly so I’m assuming they did that hopefully. He was telling me it’s not coming from the bottom and it’s not either crankshaft. And he said the top of the engine is dry as well. But it’s so tight that he can’t see any further without pulling the engine out basically. So I got an appointment at the dealership. But I know their prices are ridiculous. $125 just to check it out.

Kyle37

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
Thread starter #5
My belt popped twice the past week. I got it changed again today. They said it’s a bad oil leak that they can’t locate. I have the 2.4 engine in the verano. They changed the tensioner but the oil is getting all over the belt and alternator. Has anyone had this problem before ?
And it’s not the valve cover gasket

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
You don't say how many miles you have on the car. If it's "lower" miles, then I would hope it's not any of the main seals. If it's higher mileage, then unfortunately it could be any of the usual suspects.

I've never used it, but I know they make an utra-violet(UV) dye that you add to the oil, run the engine for awhile, then use a UV (black light) to look for the leak. The tinted oil will "glow" when hit with the UV light and should help find the source of the leak.

I agree that the tight engine compartment with all the "stuff" bolted onto the engine and the compartment itself, makes it very difficult to find the source of a leak.

I would start with the most obvious first, which is the valve cover.

I had a 1993 Mazda MX-6 V6 that I was sure had a leak in the rear main seal.
Nope.... Just a leaky valve cover on the firewall side if the engine.
I didn't even change the valve cover gasket. Just re-torqued the bolts and it stopped.

Hopefully, that is what you have.
Good Luck!!

Kyle37

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
Thread starter #8
I hope so bro. It’s higher miles. I have about 125k on it. They said it’s not the valve cover they can see that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.