Bad Transmission

Horses119

I have a buick verano 2016, I had issue with speedometer and temperature gauges the needles would bounce around while driving , I had buick look at it twice, well two weeks ago driving and lost 1 and 2 red gear in transmission, took back buick, now they said it transmission or communications system and air bag senior in passage seat is bad. $ 3800 to $4200 too fix anything. my husband died in Dec.
so needed car too work. now can fix it because it out warranty and still owe 11,000 on it. will never buy buick again.
this was a expensive lesson.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
What do the gauge needles have to do with the transmission? Have you tried an independent shop for a second opinion and estimate? Did you buy the car used? If so, when and how many miles were on it at purchase?

Horses119

What do the gauge needles have to do with the transmission? Have you tried an independent shop for a second opinion and estimate? Did you buy the car used? If so, when and how many miles were on it at purchase?
good question about gauges, I don't know , that only thing going on with the car, before lost 1 and 2 red going down highway. I try local shops and price was little cheaper, but couple hundred.
brought car 2017 it one year old from dealer, had 76,890 mile on it.

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
I have a buick verano 2016, I had issue with speedometer and temperature gauges the needles would bounce around while driving , I had buick look at it twice, well two weeks ago driving and lost 1 and 2 red gear in transmission, took back buick, now they said it transmission or communications system and air bag senior in passage seat is bad. $ 3800 to $4200 too fix anything. my husband died in Dec.
so needed car too work. now can fix it because it out warranty and still owe 11,000 on it. will never buy buick again.
this was a expensive lesson.
Get more opinions from other mechanics/shops.

Your car is basically a rebadged Chevy Cruze, which are known for having relatively weak transmissions. This doesn't surprise me, IF the transmission has failed.

IF the transmission has failed, I'd put in a used transmission, instead of having the current one rebuilt. It is much cheaper to do that. My uncle just replaced his busted one with a used one (on his Cruze) and it cost him around $2,000-$2,400.

As for the air bag sensor, I had mine replaced a couple of months ago at the dealer and it was just under $1,000. Check around on that too.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
good question about gauges, I don't know , that only thing going on with the car, before lost 1 and 2 red going down highway. I try local shops and price was little cheaper, but couple hundred.
brought car 2017 it one year old from dealer, had 76,890 mile on it.
So it's entirely possible the previous owner(s) abused it the car before you bought it. I agree with some others; get more opinions if possible but start considering a replacement transmission if you're going to keep the car.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Get more opinions from other mechanics/shops.

Your car is basically a rebadged Chevy Cruze, which are known for having relatively weak transmissions. This doesn't surprise me, IF the transmission has failed.

IF the transmission has failed, I'd put in a used transmission, instead of having the current one rebuilt. It is much cheaper to do that. My uncle just replaced his busted one with a used one (on his Cruze) and it cost him around $2,000-$2,400.

As for the air bag sensor, I had mine replaced a couple of months ago at the dealer and it was just under $1,000. Check around on that too.
Just because the Verano and Cruze share a lone transmission, that doesn't make them rebadges. Besides the slushbox, the cars share a platform, a rearview mirror and maybe, a few other parts.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!