• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Battery died this morning

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I know there have been several threads about the batteries having issues and most, including myself assumed this was due to sitting on the lot so long. The difference is mine was replaced a few months ago and is now dead again. When it got replaced my ASS started working again but only for a couple of days, then it stopped. So now I am wondering if there is some other problem with these cars. The car has been sitting for about 1.5 weeks, only time it was used in between was when I pulled it in the garage for an oil change and back out. Not really sure what is going on, it clearly should be able to sit that long without a problem. Hell my 2001 Audi that has a parasitic draw somewhere started up the other day after sitting for 3 months. Hopefully tonight I will get it jumped and see what is going on.

As a side note, Onstar is useless. I received an email this morning from them saying my battery is critically low and I should go start the car to charge it. This was about 10 minutes after I tried and failed. So clearly they do not regularly scan the vehicle or they just don't expect the battery to die this quick either.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
Did you have Range ASS disable module plugged in? Or anything plugged in to your OBD port?

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Almost hate to bring it up, but it sounds as though the auto s/s is enabled on your car, and since there have been other forum users who have had their batteries replaced (who also have the auto s/s running), that there may be an issue with the charging system--I think this problem was first brought up in the original 'disabling stop/start' thread (10 pages & now locked). :unsure:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Battery voltage was about 10V. I used a portable jump starter and I am back up and running. I will continue to watch it and see if it gets pulled down again.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Almost hate to bring it up, but it sounds as though the auto s/s is enabled on your car, and since there have been other forum users who have had their batteries replaced (who also have the auto s/s running), that there may be an issue with the charging system--I think this problem was first brought up in the original 'disabling stop/start' thread (10 pages & now locked). :unsure:
You mean ASS is functioning as stock.., because he likes ASS.
Sorry Wiepse no desrespect meant..should have asked you if ASS is history for you.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
I've been concerned since day 1 about voltage readings in the VIC.
My experience has been that it typically reads less that 13 volts, even when traveling on the highway at 50+ mph, irrespective of the outside temperature. On rare occasions, it will momentarily drift up to 14.1, but then immediately drop back.
Sweet spot seems to be about 12.7 volts, which seems too low to keep the battery in a good state.
No modules installed, nothing in the OBD port.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I will pay more attention but I think mine typically bounces between a high of 14.3 and somewhere in the mid 12's. When the battery was first replaced the ASS was working again, but that lasted about a week then it stopped and never returned. Honestly I am OK with it not returning, but I wonder if there is something else that needs attention that is causing this issue.

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
wlep
I know there have been several threads about the batteries having issues and most, including myself assumed this was due to sitting on the lot so long. The difference is mine was replaced a few months ago and is now dead again. When it got replaced my ASS started working again but only for a couple of days, then it stopped. So now I am wondering if there is some other problem with these cars. The car has been sitting for about 1.5 weeks, only time it was used in between was when I pulled it in the garage for an oil change and back out. Not really sure what is going on, it clearly should be able to sit that long without a problem. Hell my 2001 Audi that has a parasitic draw somewhere started up the other day after sitting for 3 months. Hopefully tonight I will get it jumped and see what is going on.

As a side note, Onstar is useless. I received an email this morning from them saying my battery is critically low and I should go start the car to charge it. This was about 10 minutes after I tried and failed. So clearly they do not regularly scan the vehicle or they just don't expect the battery to die this quick either.

Check your rear door locks. On the FB group, a person on there had their battery drained and found out the wiring harness going to lock motor in one of the rear doors was rotted. and that might have been causing the battery drain.

I guess the unlock button on the outside wasn't working anymore. that's how they found the problem. The dealership told him it's a common issue with the wiring harness getting rotted from road salt.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
wlep

Check your rear door locks. On the FB group, a person on there had their battery drained and found out the wiring harness going to lock motor in one of the rear doors was rotted. and that might have been causing the battery drain.

I guess the unlock button on the outside wasn't working anymore. that's how they found the problem. The dealership told him it's a common issue with the wiring harness getting rotted from road salt.
I sure as hell hope not. That might make me dump this thing. If it can't last through some road salt for a year I will be absolutely screwed in 10 years.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Per the voltage jumping up and down, it is designed that way. My last three cars do it. Computer tells alternator when to charge battery.

Not like the old days when it would stay high as long as the engine is running.

Nothing to worry about. Designed that way.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like cars had not been driven for a while when battery was discharged?
So there was no indication of battery getting weak until no start?
It takes power to listen to you and provide tracking, not to mention getting tire pressures for your Onstar monthly report.
PS Just kidding ...kinda.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Here's my unscientific charging test from today.

Conditions: Nothing was ON in the car that would show up as a top power consumer on the DIC. Drive was 75% residential / 25% highway.

Upon startup, the car was mid 14 volts for most of the time. After about 10 min, voltage dropped to average around 12.6. It would rise when there was more coasting and drop down again while on the throttle.

I am assuming this is normal. AGM batteries can easily get overcharged and therefore charge system is regulating a slow charge.

Found this article on AGM batteries:
Three Misconceptions about AGM batteries | KnowYourParts

Interesting point in article:

AGM or gel cell battery replacement is the same as flooded battery replacement.

True and False. While the installation of the battery may be the same for the two battery styles, some vehicles require an extra step to tell the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. Newer vehicles have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.

Crap. When it was time, I would have slapped a new battery in and not thought twice about recalibration.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Today on the way home the voltage was fairly steady at 14.3V. When it first starts up it was indicating right around 12V.

@LJ, yeah car was sitting about a week and a half.

I do have a dash cam installed and now I am wondering if the power cut off isn't working right. I am going to pull it and test with a signal generator to verify it does shut off at 12.5V or whatever it is set at.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So freaking strange...ASS is back as of this morning.

How does that happen? Voltages currently are no different than they were prior to the dead battery. So weird.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Taking a stab in the dark.... but maybe system is recognizing voltage stability for x amount of startups.?.

Once, I replaced a battery right before going through state inspection. It failed as the car hadn't gone through a predetermined number of start/stop events (I presume to prevent tampering of the test results).

I realize you didn't replace battery here, but maybe something similar is going on.?.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think the difference is when you pull a battery you have 0V for some period of time that resets the ECM. In this case the voltage dropped to about 10V, enough to keep modules alive but not enough to turn the car over. Also when the battery was replaced a few months ago, the ASS was back on the first drive, not the next day. But who knows how these things are actually programmed. I once had a router that to reset it you had to press and hold the button until the lights flashed then like 5 seconds. If you just waited for the flash it would only partially reset the settings back to stock and it was never the same things, including at times partial log on info. So maybe this 10V was a partial reset or some stupid thing like that.

Kappy

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
paid attention to voltage while out & about today. 12.2 when first start, goes up to 14.4 within a couple of minutes and stayed there while driving around town. Had 4 stops to make and repeated each time. No expressway time today.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Thanks to folks who gave insight on AGM battery charging characteristics.

Watched the voltage display this afternoon on my 30 mile commute home (Rt 287 in NJ). Traffic was heavy for half the ride, and open for the rest (55+ mph). Voltage stayed pegged at 12.5 V for the fast majority of time, with random immediate jumps up to 13.7, 14.1, and then right back down to 12.5.

In stop and go traffic, it goes down to about 11.3 before the auto s/s system turns off and the engine re-starts.

Maybe that's just normal operation. Going in tomorrow for oil change and control arm eval, guess I can ask the service adviser what's considered normal. Then again, they probably have no clue...

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners