• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Battery died this morning

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well I think my issue must be the camera. Right now it is disconnected and all is good so far but I also now have functional ASS. So I will have to pull the cutoff switch to see if it is still functioning, I just need a way to simulate the voltage so I can see if it drops the power to the camera at set point. Anyone have a suggestion on something I can use to create a variable V output?

Gracie615

So you are trying to get the voltage under 12.5 volts to see if the camera PSU stops working? I would take a VOM, connect it across the jumpstart remote connectors under the hood, put the car in service mode and slowly turn on higher current accessories as you are monitoring the voltage with the VOM. It shouldn't take very long until you are under 12.5v. Or just use the voltmeter on your dash, but myself I like to use a VOM to double check to see how close the dash voltmeter really is.

For those wondering about the service mode, as someone mentioned in a previous forum, it's like turning the ignition switch into to the Accessories position in an older car.

From the manual...

Service Mode This power mode is available for service and diagnostics, and to verify the proper operation of the malfunction indicator lamp as may be required for emission inspection purposes. With the vehicle off, and the brake pedal not applied, pressing and holding ENGINE START/STOP for more than five seconds will place the vehicle in Service Mode. The instruments and audio systems will operate as they do in ON/RUN, but the vehicle will not be able to be driven. The engine will not start in Service Mode. Press ENGINE START/STOP again to turn the vehicle off.

Or if you know someone who does electronic repairs yet for a living, or maybe even an electronics hobbyist/HAM radio operator, they may have a benchtop variable voltage power supply that would even be better to use, but there's not a lot of folks who do that kind of work anymore, or who still has equipment like that around.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah I checked at work and all we had were 4-20 signal generators. I was hoping to not use the car so I don't have to worry about the battery. I was thinking I may try to use a battery from my son's old power wheels and see if I can very the switching voltage.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
So you are trying to get the voltage under 12.5 volts to see if the camera PSU stops working? I would take a VOM, connect it across the jumpstart remote connectors under the hood, put the car in service mode and slowly turn on higher current accessories as you are monitoring the voltage with the VOM. It shouldn't take very long until you are under 12.5v. Or just use the voltmeter on your dash, but myself I like to use a VOM to double check to see how close the dash voltmeter really is.

For those wondering about the service mode, as someone mentioned in a previous forum, it's like turning the ignition switch into to the Accessories position in an older car.

From the manual...

Service Mode This power mode is available for service and diagnostics, and to verify the proper operation of the malfunction indicator lamp as may be required for emission inspection purposes. With the vehicle off, and the brake pedal not applied, pressing and holding ENGINE START/STOP for more than five seconds will place the vehicle in Service Mode. The instruments and audio systems will operate as they do in ON/RUN, but the vehicle will not be able to be driven. The engine will not start in Service Mode. Press ENGINE START/STOP again to turn the vehicle off.

Or if you know someone who does electronic repairs yet for a living, or maybe even an electronics hobbyist/HAM radio operator, they may have a benchtop variable voltage power supply that would even be better to use, but there's not a lot of folks who do that kind of work anymore, or who still has equipment like that around.
Guessing this might help.

Gracie615

If you knew how much current the camera and its power supply drew you could calculate a voltage drop resistance to insert between your test battery and your camera unit. But really in the end if you leave the camera and PSU unplugged and your drain problems dissapear then you found the issue. Then you have a choice of either seeing if you can return your dash camera for another or adding a 12 volt switched on with ignition power port for it.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I did a quick test today but I want to double check what I found. Basically when the battery voltage got to around 12V the output switched to like 3 V. So low but not off. While I didn't think this was enough to run the camera it may be enough of a drain if left for a few days. I plan on reaching out to BlackVue to see if they can confirm how it is supposed to work.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I would just power the camera from one of the rear-seat USB’s. I’ve had mine there since the weekend after purchase in August and can verify they are switched.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Switched would be easy, this PSU is supposed to keep it powered and recording as long as it is safe for the battery. Had this entire set up in another vehicle and never had a problem. I could go to having it tied to ignition but I like that it records in parking mode too.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Ugh... I am about to lose my sh!t with this car. I thought I narrowed it down to the camera but when I went to go out to pick up my oil it wouldn't start. I drove it last this Monday. So about 4.5 days of sitting and it needs a jump again. This is getting old. I guess next I will pull the wire to the trailer harness. If this keeps happening the dealer will be seeing my car for diagnosis. Sad thing is I bought this car so I wouldn't have to rely on my aging Audi... it is a 2001 with 298,4XX miles on it and it starts right up every time.

Gracie615

I know you mentioned the trailer harness before. I's there some kind of brake controller used used with that harness? I guess it doesn't matter if it's an aftermarket accessory and it's powered it should be temporary disconnected until and then try it again. Good Luck !

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I know you mentioned the trailer harness before. I's there some kind of brake controller used used with that harness? I guess it doesn't matter if it's an aftermarket accessory and it's powered it should be temporary disconnected until and then try it again. Good Luck !
No brake controller. I think it is a Curt brand 4 wire setup that gets the signal for brake and turn signal from connecting between housing and stock wiring. The control box is connected to power for trailer lights.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
I get the feeling that these cars (almost any from 2010 on-wards) aren't designed to sit for days on end. I know that my 2003 Jaguar draws 20mA when napping--just a humidity sensor fan & the remote key entry module. A friend had a BMW X5 used mostly on the weekend & that died during the weekdays. Found it was drawing 4 amps at rest--bought a battery tender for it & you could fry an egg on it. The CTEK 3300* I've got on mine usually shows as fully charged, but every couple of days it will drop into full charging mode for about half an hour. So, OnStar**, RKE module, BCM and maybe HMI...

* And no, full charge doesn't make any difference to the 'device not found' USB
**I'm exempt.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have a tough time believing that, if that were true the majority of the cars sitting at the airport would be dead.

Also just so others are aware... OnStar is completely useless. If this is constantly running I have no idea what it is doing. Twice now when the car has died it wasn't until after I got the car started that I got a low voltage warning. This last time no warning came at all.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
OnStar has to be on 24/7 just in case it gets a call for location/start/software upgrade (yeah, right) or other app. You can also add the DC-DC converter to the 'always on' list. Anyway, the 'sleep mode' is a very fitful concept in these cars--probably just have to be satisfied that there isn't a automotive equivalent of sleep-walking (yet).

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
A few things:

the battery is already stressed, so a new battery is in order(try to get dealer to cover, it should be under warranty but they will need to test);

all of your extra gear should be removed until you sort out the issue(the BCM is very sensitive and these items will require very detailed study into the ohm sensitivity of each circuit before reinstalling);

if you are going long periods without driving it, you need a battery tender to keep the battery healthy and ensure an adequate topping charge;

also look at your habits, do you ever get out of the car with it started or accessory on and close the driver door, take care of a task and then enter from the passenger side and turn the car off and close the passenger door and expect the car to go to sleep... it won’t. The BCM and infotainment will stay active if the car doesn’t see a closer of the driver door.

With all of this in mind, carefully take all of your changes to the car and personal habits into consideration, address each and you should be able to come to a conclusion of the real problem. Hoping for the best...

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
I have a tough time believing that, if that were true the majority of the cars sitting at the airport would be dead.

Also just so others are aware... OnStar is completely useless. If this is constantly running I have no idea what it is doing. Twice now when the car has died it wasn't until after I got the car started that I got a low voltage warning. This last time no warning came at all.
Agree. I left mine at the airport for two weeks, cold weather - no issues.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I could not find any topics about replacement battery. Is ACDelco Professional AGM our best option? It does have 850 CCA, while other brands seem to offer 800 CCA. Our battery is type 94R (H7).

Another battery to offer 850 CCA is Interstate at Costco for $175.99.

Sam's Club has Duracell Platinum AGM for $179.99. It has 800 CCA. It looks like Johnson Controls makes all of them: ACDelco, Duracell and Interstate.

How long do these AGM batteries last?

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
They should last about the same as a flooded battery. If they are discharged they don’t seem to lose as much of their reserve capacity, so that’s a big advantage over flooded.

ECB

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I could not find any topics about replacement battery. Is ACDelco Professional AGM our best option? It does have 850 CCA, while other brands seem to offer 800 CCA. Our battery is type 94R (H7).

Another battery to offer 850 CCA is Interstate at Costco for $175.99.

Sam's Club has Duracell Platinum AGM for $179.99. It has 800 CCA. It looks like Johnson Controls makes all of them: ACDelco, Duracell and Interstate.

How long do these AGM batteries last?
I replaced the AGM battery in my Mercedes last week after 100,000 miles and 14 years. Does that help?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners