• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Battery died this morning

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I am at my wit's end... just came back from a few days at the shore and not only was the car unable to start it was completely dead. I mean 3.4V after 5 days... battery charger fails and says bad battery, jump starting gets close but 20 minutes of charging from a donor vehicle and the voltage at the clamps is 11.4 with no start. There must be a bad module in this thing because nothing aftermarket was connected. Just so confused because during COVID this thing sat a lot and I have never seen it this dead.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Just got it started, have a CEL and the code is U18A2. That is new, usually I get codes relating to low battery voltage to trans modules and stuff. I really want to like this car but I got this so I wouldn't have to wrench on a vehicle and have something more reliable than my old Audi. This stupid thing has had more issues in 1.5 years than the Audi had the last few as it rolled past 300k. Between parts issues, rear diffs and all the stupid random crap I am close to pulling the plug. Too bad there isn't really anything out there that I am interested in... well that I can afford. Would love an RS6 Avant.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
1. First off, I have no intention of getting rid of my 2018 Tour-X. The small problems Ive had are far over ruled by the fact that I like the car.

2. That being said, being a car guy, I still check out what is out there. (Just in case 😱😎). So far, have not found anything that I like better than my Tour-X or my 2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited. (Even better than my 2018 Sonata 2.0T Limited.) Genesis G70 is overpriced, as is the Kia Stinger.
Checking out the Kia K5 but they use a 1.6T engine. The 2.5T engine will not be available until November or December.
Sooooo, even with the Tour-X faults, I’ll keep my Tour-X until I find something I like better.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
1. First off, I have no intention of getting rid of my 2018 Tour-X. The small problems Ive had are far over ruled by the fact that I like the car.

2. That being said, being a car guy, I still check out what is out there. (Just in case 😱😎). So far, have not found anything that I like better than my Tour-X or my 2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited. (Even better than my 2018 Sonata 2.0T Limited.) Genesis G70 is overpriced, as is the Kia Stinger.
Checking out the Kia K5 but they use a 1.6T engine. The 2.5T engine will not be available until November or December.
Sooooo, even with the Tour-X faults, I’ll keep my Tour-X until I find something I like better.
I can live with GM cheaping out on this car and random quirks...one thing I require is that I can drive it. The way it is now I can never be sure. That is inexcusable in a new vehicle.

Gracie615

I am really sorry this is still a problem. It's too bad a guy can't find a good GM dealership with a good auto electric guy. I heard a mechanic once say if your looking for a good mechanic who is a great trouble shooter in say, Air Conditioning systems, ask a traveling tool truck guy. They usually know who is good at what.
I know that may not help. But I am hoping a good dealership will take on this challenge and fix it for you. Hang in there!

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
We will see, hopefully I can get it in next week. My fear is that all of this new tech is hard for the mechanics to keep up with and quite honestly many rely on it to just give them the code, so they know what to replace. I think a lot of the true old school troubleshooting is gone. I hope I wrong.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Find the service manager and ask him who his best diagnostic tech is. Most will be upfront then you need to request for him/her to do the work. If that leads nowhere, ask at the parts counter, these folks know who screws up the most!

I have a good relationship with my dealer and drive 75 miles to go there. I know the SM and the techs and have had several conversations with one tech. He’s the only one I take my car to based on these conversations. He told me he enjoys electrical troubleshooting and when the other guys are stumped the cars end up in his bay anyway. My 22.9 software upgrade was done right and my rear diff noise was resolved by him sending an email to GM and based on his diagnosis the rear will be replaced. He also teaches at the local tech school.

When I had my A/C line replaced another tech worked on it. The repair was a success but he broke a clip for the bumper cover and forgot a bolt holding the pre-cat. I resolved that on my own.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well after the last time the battery died I set up a visit with my local dealer to have them take a look. Well their test said there was no parasitic draw but that one cell was bad. I guess it is possible the first battery was due to lot rot and maybe the second battery was just a dud. I guess time will tell how long this one lasts.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
Well after the last time the battery died I set up a visit with my local dealer to have them take a look. Well their test said there was no parasitic draw but that one cell was bad. I guess it is possible the first battery was due to lot rot and maybe the second battery was just a dud. I guess time will tell how long this one lasts.
New batteries are very fragile these days. It creates efficiency and storage but the lead plates are thin and fragile and can easily break if dropped. A break becomes a short and failure of the battery.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Mine didn't actually die, but it did drop a cell. After being on a charger (Ctek Multi US 3300) for 48 hours, I disconnected it from the charger and an hour later measured the voltage: 12.8V. :mad:

Car (auto stop/start disabled) spends, on average, 7 days, 23 hours & 20 minutes a week in a heated garage attached to the battery tender. Run down to pick up groceries and repeat. I suspect that during the 4 months the car took to get delivered (three of which it was sitting on a rail car in the winter) may have taken its toll.

Exide MX-H7L494R on order from Rock Auto. I suppose it would be covered under warranty, but I don't like replacing questionable parts with identical ones, even if they're free.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Old battery removed--some fiddly bits to deal with, but rather straightforward. Battery doesn't say 'AC Delco' anywhere, just 'GM' and I haven't been able to sort the date code--8JFA18. New battery should arrive tomorrow so I've got some dead (as in 'no voltage') time to update the TLC* module to the latest version.

*TLC: Tail Lamp Converter.
OldBattery.JPG

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Old battery removed--some fiddly bits to deal with, but rather straightforward.
Can you elaborate on the fiddly bits?

Also what method will you use to calibrate the system for the new battery?

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Let's see, remove + & - terminal covers, unclip a cable attached the the front of the battery shroud (not connected, just supported), loosen the + terminal bolt & dis-connect the - terminal one, unclip the fuse block from around the positive terminal post (clip on engine side, another one facing the ECM, remove the battery cover clamp (which includes the ECM bracket frame), remove the battery base clamp on the right bottom side, lift up the shroud and lastly--lift-up the battery.

Nothing in the service manual about calibration--I've heard some brands have a 'battery life monitor' but there wasn't any mention of that.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If someone wants to confirm on calibration, it has also been mentioned changing between a standard battery and a AGM battery regarding the charging on newer vehicles which is somewhat different on the two battery types.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
I was considering a 'regular' battery--but then I remembered a discussion long ago about defeating the auto stop/start by disconnecting the battery current monitor which may or may not force whatever module keeps tabs on the battery to fall-back to non-AGM charging spec. It did defeat the stop/start at the expense of a constant CEL. Don't know if the charging rates changed. So, unless you really want to get technical, you're stuck with an AGM replacement.

Also read on the Jaguar Forum about the problems someone had with a used car they purchased--all sorts of battery issues until he found out that it was supposed to have an AGM battery. Since the AGM's can't charge as rapidly as an older type, his (traditional) battery was never was able to take a full charge.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I already added this to another topic. My battery died at 40,000 miles and it was replaced under warranty with ACDelco AGM. My car had auto-start-stop issues, jerky steering and self-leveling headlights were rebooting with every start-stop. New battery fixed all of those issues and car starts up with much less effort.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Wlepse Any problems with your second battery? How long has it been installed now?

I had my battery replaced under warranty on 4/1/21 (yes, 2 months ago). Yesterday, when I went to start the car.. the engine turned over but didn't start. The second push started it.

This morning, I put the car in service mode before starting it and the DIC battery screen read 10.4 volts. After the second attempt of trying to start the car (only cranked for a second, but did not start), I received a message on the DIC saying "battery saver" mode was activated. After that, the car started and charged solid at 14.6v for an hour.

Looks like this battery is toast, too.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Wlepse Any problems with your second battery? How long has it been installed now?

I had my battery replaced under warranty on 4/1/21 (yes, 2 months ago). Yesterday, when I went to start the car.. the engine turned over but didn't start. The second push started it.

This morning, I put the car in service mode before starting it and the DIC battery screen read 10.4 volts. After the second attempt of trying to start the car (only cranked for a second, but did not start), I received a message on the DIC saying "battery saver" mode was activated. After that, the car started and charged solid at 14.6v for an hour.

Looks like this battery is toast, too.
My second didn't last long. Started having the same issues as before and they swapped it out. This one went faster than the first so they guessed it had a bad cell or something from the get go. New one has been ok but I have nothing plugged in anywhere anymore, even if it had no power when shut down. I also got the Trifecta tune so I no longer have a functional ASS, so there is just one draw of power once, then 40 miles of charging. No issues since. I will try to dig up the invoices so I can let you know when batteries were replaced.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Original battery was changed June 2019.... replacement was changed again August 2020. Not sure why I thought the first failed quick. I guess if you look at the OP it was right after this second one was installed I started having issues again. I guess I lumped along longer than I thought.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners