Battery/starting issues

Hindemith

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano 2013
Have a 2013 Buick Verano. 3 months ago car would not start one morning. Appeared battery was dead. AAA called and jump started car. Ran rest of day and would restart fine. Next AM would not start again. Towed to dealer. They jump started it and kept it overnight. It would not start again next morning for them. They could not find a problem and said they just tightened up all the connections. Next two mornings at dealership it started for them. I picked up car and they told me to return if problem recurred.

Car was fine until a week ago. Car started fine and drove 20 minutes to airport parking. Stopped car to unload bags and passengers for shuttle. Engine off for less than 5 minutes. Attempted to restart car and battery dead. Parking attendant jumped car so I could park it in parking lot. Drove it for less than a couple minutes so was not expecting to recharge battery. Gone for 7 days. When I returned to parking lot after trip, lights came on when used remote to unlock car but car would not start. Battery went dead with attempt to start. Jump started and drove 20 minutes home. Next morning started fine. Anyone else have similar problems? Any ideas?

Hindemith

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano 2013
Thanks for the replies. I don't know if the following helps clear up if a load test was done on the battery or whether the charging system was checked. From the description of service: "Perform start and charge analysis and all components passed each time over 3 days. Peform computer analysis and multiple codes defaulted from jump start. Clear all codes and test again. We will recheck if something reoccurs."

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You have to specifically ask the dealer if any part of that description included a battery load test.

Hindemith

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano 2013
Spoke with the dealer. They did a load test on the battery and it passed. They also tested the charging system. They did not feel battery was bad so did not replace battery. Battery worked fine again for 3 months after those tests until recently when it was dead almost immediately after turning off engine and trying to restart car. Battery is working fine again. They did offer to test the battery again.

Polewalker

Buick Ownership
Buick
this is a shot in the dark when you turn off the car and say that battery is dead. Do you mean that there's no electricity gauges or headlights. If they have electricity to them, then I would check the starter relay in the fuse box. This is just a shot in the dark

phlop

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I am having this problem now. I own a 2013 Verano with leather package. Went to a park to walk the dogs, my wife turned the car off while I was walking the dogs. 20 min. later tried to start the car and it sounded like a dead battery. Tried to start several times and once the car was making a clicking sound like a relay was stuck. Finally stopped making the clicking sound and got a jump. Car started right away, and drove for 3 weeks. Last night was at the grocery, the car was stuffy, so my wife pushed the button to turn on the accessories to open a window. When she pushed the start button to turn the accessories off, the display for the radio and camera is; started flashing. After coming out of the store the car would not start, sounded like a battery that was dead. Jumped and it started right away. Started this morning and have driven to work. Will get battery tested to see if it is OK. Also, have checked batter through display while driving and it usually reads 13.7 to 14.4 V.

colour

Buick Ownership
Buick
Bad battery or connections. Gauge while driving isn't going to tell you anything unless it's too low or too high. Gauge might read low with bad battery, ignition on, car not running.

WWacook

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Have a 2013 Buick Verano. 3 months ago car would not start one morning. Appeared battery was dead. AAA called and jump started car. Ran rest of day and would restart fine. Next AM would not start again. Towed to dealer. They jump started it and kept it overnight. It would not start again next morning for them. They could not find a problem and said they just tightened up all the connections. Next two mornings at dealership it started for them. I picked up car and they told me to return if problem recurred.

Car was fine until a week ago. Car started fine and drove 20 minutes to airport parking. Stopped car to unload bags and passengers for shuttle. Engine off for less than 5 minutes. Attempted to restart car and battery dead. Parking attendant jumped car so I could park it in parking lot. Drove it for less than a couple minutes so was not expecting to recharge battery. Gone for 7 days. When I returned to parking lot after trip, lights came on when used remote to unlock car but car would not start. Battery went dead with attempt to start. Jump started and drove 20 minutes home. Next morning started fine. Anyone else have similar problems? Any ideas?
I have same issue on my 2013 Verona. Had battery checked they say it is fine and alternator checked they say it is fine.

deville42

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the same problem on my 2013 Verano. once in a while ( a few weeks) after sitting all nite in a garage, battery is dead. I jump it and then its ok rest of the day or maybe a few weeks, then it happens again. I just got a new battery, but it happened again. Something is draining my battery. I see this same problem is on here a few times.

deville42

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2013 Verano went to the dealer, turns out my Blind side detecter module failed, and that was causing a drain on my battery. Very expensive, $700. to replace, especially at low miles, 23K.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Thanks for updating the forum as to the cause.
With all of the electronic "gadgets" that are now put into these vehicles I'm surprised we don't see more "phantom" battery drain.

I have a '94 Corvette that had a phantom drain like that.
I tracked it down to faulty door plunger switch that activated interior lights, security system, etc.

deville42

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
the service rep at my dealer said they checked out a few phantom drains that were attributed to home WIFI systems. Seems its possible to get on the same channel as your home WIFI system, and drain your car battery ( close proximity attached garage etc}

SummerBuick

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
That's so awkward but I was going to mention. Anything Accessory related on the car could of drain your battery. Good to know your issue got fixed.

Dickersam

Had similar problem with a newly purchased "certified" 2014 Verano Convenience model. After the second jump start via OnStar in a 24-hour span, I drove it to a dealer service shop where the car went dead as soon as the engine was turned off. Dealer determined that one of the battery cells was dead. No explanation why. Installed a new battery under warranty. So far so good.

Last edited:

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Had similar problem with a newly purchased "certified" 2014 Verano Convenience model. After the second jump start via OnStar in a 24-hour span, I drove it to a dealer service shop where the car went dead as soon as the engine was turned off. Dealer determined that one of the battery cells was dead. No explanation why. Installed a new battery under warranty. So far so good.
Sometimes a few bigger bumps on the road can shake loose a battery cell plate. Anyhow, when a battery is over 3 years old all bets are off. I've seen batteries last almost 20 years while others fail in less than 4. It's like buying a lottery ticket !

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
What kind of luck are people having with their Verano batteries?
My 2013 still has it's original battery, and all indications (volt meter) say that it is still ok, but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I've had batteries die (usually with no warning) that were at or near their "life expectancy".

I've also killed a Sears Diehard in one year, because I deep cycled it by having a dome light on (door ajar) while the vehicle was in winter storage (5 months).
Normally disconnect the battery when storing a car. For some reason I didn't this time... Sears did a pro-rated replacement, under warranty.

Had an AutoZone Durolast (60 month?) die in around 18 months for no real reason. This was in a daily driver so prolonged storage was not an issue.
AutoZone worker was a little surprised, but they did replace it under warranty. I think it was pro-rated also but I could be wrong.

And I've also had a couple of batteries that I finally swapped out when way past their life expectancy.
One at 7 years and the other at 8 years. It is noteworthy that these were in older vehicles that did not have the electronic gadgetry that these newer vehicles demand of a battery.

As far as battery brands... I will say that I've personally had the best luck with Interstate Batteries.
Never have had one die prematurely. Actually.... I've never had one die at all.
But please don't take this as an endorsement. My sample size of battery usage is still too small for that.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.