Being poked by the key and keyfob

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Everyone of you probably experience this at some point in your day. Regardless of the keyfob being in your pocket or purse, at some point in time, that big button gets pushed and the key pops out.

It's a pain in my leg and my pocket every time it happens. If they would shave that button down about half way, maybe it wouldn't pop out as much. I would prefer a switchblade type approach where it pops out from the center of the keyfob instead for flipping out from the side. But that's not what this is about.

This happens to me probably 2-3 times a day and it drives me crazy. Someone on here had mentioned double sided tape and I wanted to share that with everyone as a post. It works perfectly.

I tried two types of tape. First one was thin, like scotch tape, but it was not strong enough to hold the key. Second one you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. It has a little bit of foam in between the sticky layers. I cut off about 1/2 the length of the key and started it down about 1/3 of the way of the key. This way, I could still pull the key out if I needed it. Stuck it on and pushed the button and nothing happened. Exactly like I wanted it to do.

End result was being poked in the leg zero times today and I'm smiling like crazy about that. Hope this is helpful for you. Thanks to whoever suggested it. You had a great idea.

John

Thehatguy

Dallas, TX
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS
Maybe your pants are too tight.:D

Seriously, mine is in my jeans pocket and has never opened.

Since I'm left handed, maybe being in the left pocket makes a difference.

John

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I keep mine in the left pocket too and it always opens. I've even put it in upside down but no luck there. I opted for the double sided tape because I felt it was better than a rubber band that would look tacky.

tkarrde81

Detroit
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Ave Ultra...soon 2011 LaCrosse!
Mine does that sometimes....maybe 20% of the time if it's in my jeans. Can be annoying! Nice fix with the tape, rodeman.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Mine would open quite often as well. Been using the double-sided foam tape trick for a few months now. Works like a charm.

I learned about this maybe 1/2 year ago on the forums here from another user. Wish I could remember who to give the credit to.

FiftysLost

Florida
Buick Ownership
Buick 2010 Lacrosse CXL
Mine would open quite often as well. Been using the double-sided foam tape trick for a few months now. Works like a charm.

I learned about this maybe 1/2 year ago on the forums here from another user. Wish I could remember who to give the credit to.
You're welcome. Mine has not popped out since I used the tape. Too bad the button was not recessed.

Last edited:

Vashie

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Worse than the key popping out I find is that when I kept the remote in my pocket was my trunk popping open sometimes in a parking lot or the street. I was told there was no way to deactivate the trunk button. Is this true?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!