Best and reasonably priced Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool & Code Reader

MKz2017PremII

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II AWD Turbo
Looking for suggestions/advice on purchasing the best and most reasonably priced Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool & Code Reader (e.g., FIXD, etc). I'm far from a gear head, but would like to diagnose issues before I go to a mechanic to compare notes, hopefully to save $$$...best line of defense method. Thanks.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
If all your looking for is some data and engine codes just get a 20 dollar Bluetooth scanner, there are a ton of free apps for them. I’ve used mine more times than I can count.

GTP>GS

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 2012
I've got the Vgate iCar 2 bluetooth OBDII scanner and it works reliably. I use it with Torque Pro (Android), but it works with other apps such as OBD2 Auto Doctor.

ken4

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
I would like to find something that would plug into my extra lap top. Something that would have the ability of the one that the GM garages use. I do not have a cell phone.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
A laptop can't be used to scan for codes and a scan tool like the GM garages use is around $900. I have a $50 Sears scan tool and it works great, plus it also has the ability to check the ABS brake system for problems.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You might want to look at something like VXDIAG about the $100 range, but you will need to read all the information as it will require a subscription to GM, your computer and vehicle will need to be compatible.
Amazon.com: VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 and Tech2Win Diagnostic Programming System Compatible for GM/Opel: Automotive

Other options for a PC are the bluetooth versions but you need to confirm they are compatible with your computer and OS.

Jarbro16

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal T Premium II
You might want to look at something like VXDIAG about the $100 range, but you will need to read all the information as it will require a subscription to GM, your computer and vehicle will need to be compatible.
Amazon.com: VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 and Tech2Win Diagnostic Programming System Compatible for GM/Opel: Automotive

Other options for a PC are the bluetooth versions but you need to confirm they are compatible with your computer and OS.
Could I use this to flash a tune like ZZP or Trifecta, or do I NEED the HP Tuner?

G-662681

A laptop can't be used to scan for codes and a scan tool like the GM garages use is around $900. I have a $50 Sears scan tool and it works great, plus it also has the ability to check the ABS brake system for problems.
You can with ford why can't you with buick

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Can what?

mrspeaker

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Can what?

Most likely referring to Forscan for Ford vehicles .

With a windows laptop , Forscan(free software) and a $20 usb to obd dongle you can do lots of things including but not limited to programming keys and bi-directional actuation / system tests , etc

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Mystery poster who didn't respond back, besides its a Ford lol.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners