• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Bicycles in Encores

OldWhiteChevy

Just wondering how many Encore owners are cyclists, and how your bikes fit inside your cargo area. Do you have to remove a wheel from a medium size hybrid or road bike (Trek, Cannondale, eg.)? Or do you use a tailgate carrier or roof rack?

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Just wondering how many Encore owners are cyclists, and how your bikes fit inside your cargo area. Do you have to remove a wheel from a medium size hybrid or road bike (Trek, Cannondale, eg.)? Or do you use a tailgate carrier or roof rack?
I haven't actually tried putting my wife's medium sized(?) mountain bike in our Encore, but I can say that we have been able to put it in the back of our 2011 Honda Fit without removing a wheel. Since the rear seats of the Encore fold down flat like the seats in the Fit, I assume the bike will also fit in the somewhat larger Encore cargo area without removing a wheel. Fitting two bikes in there might be another story, though.

G-584048

I have a 2017 Encore and have a roof rack but sometimes have to put the bike in the back, especially when I bring my bike to work cant fit in the parking garage. Anyway, my cannondale caad 12 fits with no problem. Just need to take the front wheel off (rear wheel can stay on) and put the seats down.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
We can get one bike in our HHR which has about 12 sq feet more cargo space than the Encore. We can't do two bikes though, and that's what we need. I wouldn't even try one bike in the Encore without removing the front wheel. Keep in mind we have Trek mountain bikes.

I just bought a Thule rear mount carrier for the Encore. It should arrive today so we have not used it yet. Etrailer has a nice video review of the rack on a 2015 Encore.

OldWhiteChevy

Thanks, all. I don't have the bike yet (or the Encore), but I'm thinking that if I make the move to a crossover from my current Cruze it will give me an excuse to get back on a bike after a 40 year absence. I'm hoping to avoid carriers, which is why I'm also torn between Encore and Equinox or Terrain.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring

Quantum Grey 4X4 Bean

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Removing the rear seats (It's only 4 nuts), before folding down the seat backs, makes the luggage area a few inches longer. I do this in winter before heading to the mountains. It turns the car into a 2-seater, but it's OK.

Bl7385

Buick Ownership
2018 Encore
I’ve had my 2018 Encore for 2 weeks now. With the rear seats folded down, I had no problem fitting my Giant road bike in the back with the front wheel removed. Note that the way that the rear seat bottom folds forward it limits how far the front seat can slide backwards. Unfortunately the 60% side is on the driver’s side, so if you are over ~6’2”, I’d say you will have to take off both wheels and put down the 40% back seat. I just put on a Draw-Tite 1 1/4” class 2 hitch and a Küat EV 2.0 2-bike tray-style rack. With the bike on the rear slot, the hatch will open. It doesn’t interfere with the backup camera too badly.
Amazon has the hitch for $140 and U-haul will install it for ~$43.
Draw-Tite 36554 Class II Frame... Amazon.com: Draw-Tite 36554 Class II Frame Hitch with 1-1/4" Square Receiver Tube Opening: Automotive

Küat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack, Gray Metallic, 1.25" $650
Amazon.com : Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack : Sports & Outdoors