Big E head gasket set

scottw115

Buick Ownership
LeSabre, Century
Greetings to all. I'm new to this forum, but not to Buicks.
I just got an '02 Century with blown head gasket and a plugged up cat.
All common everyday stuff.
I am shopping for parts, since the local auto parts stores are stretching my budget.
I looked things up on the extra-large online auction house. $50 gasket sets, advertised as FelPro. Plug and play cat with flanges and O2 sensor bungs under $200.
Has anyone went this route? Would you go again?

chem_man

Buick Newbie
Fallston, MD
Buick Ownership
1999 Century
I would shy away from the online auction sites for critical auto parts.

Spend a few dollars more and get the real parts without worry from rockauto.com.

For head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, etc., I would stay away from the less expensive, no-name gaskets and stick with Fel-Pro, Victor Reinz, Mahle, or ACDelco/GM Genuine. Sometimes you really do get what you paid for.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
If the engine blew a head gasket, it must have been overheated. The head(s) combustion chambers and head surface need to be checked for cracks/warping by an automotive machine shop to be sure the head is not leaking/warped. If that is not done & you replace the gaskets, be prepared for another failure very soon! The code below will help cover some of the shipping cost.

RockAuto Discount code 182618237101273235
Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discounts cannot be applied to shipping, gift certificates, or to an order once it is marked as shipped.
Your code expires on October 17, 2021, 12:00 Midnight CT, so do not wait!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

scottw115

Buick Ownership
LeSabre, Century
If the engine blew a head gasket, it must have been overheated. The head(s) combustion chambers and head surface need to be checked for cracks/warping by an automotive machine shop to be sure the head is not leaking/warped. If that is not done & you replace the gaskets, be prepared for another failure very soon! The code below will help cover some of the shipping cost.

RockAuto Discount code 182618237101273235
Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discounts cannot be applied to shipping, gift certificates, or to an order once it is marked as shipped.
Your code expires on October 17, 2021, 12:00 Midnight CT, so do not wait!
I do understand about the heads needing checked for warping and being cracked.
When I took the intake off there was evidence of oil entering the water jacket in only 1 port out of the 4.
I did not take a compression test before I pulled it apart, but I did do the combustion gas test.

I have ordered things online recently, and delivery is really hit and miss these days.
I ended up going to the friendly local AutoZone and shelled out 175$ for the FelPro severe duty set, and 42$ for head bolts.
Online is likely 30% or more cheaper, but I have them on hand, and don't have to worry about what dock worker or delivery driver called in sick.
Thanks for the heads up. I may be using that code for the cat. Belt and hoses are pricey as well, especially those formed heater hoses.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Update;
Code: 184176251101273235

How did you hear about us

Your code expires on November 7, 2021, 12:00 Midnight CT, so do not wait!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners