• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Black intellilink screen

Gramps

Niagara, Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Essence
Yesterday, I was driving and out of the blue the intellilink screen went black. I touched the power button and it came back on. Today(Sept. 17th), after returning from inside the mall, I started the vehicle and the screen was black. The radio would not come on. Turned the engine off and restarted the engine and the screen was still black. I drove to the dealer(about 10 miles) and the screen was still black. The service person phoned the radio service people and they have a radio. I will take it in on Thursday. I went out and started the car and radio was working. Shut the engine off and restarted the engine, and the radio is working. Is this a feature of this radio or is there something wrong with these radios. Software update???

Last edited:

mike12verano

Eaton Rapids Mi
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano
I've had this happen to me a few times. the system goes away, I've also had it freeze up. it does go back to normal after a while but I have to shut to car off and wait a while. I've talked to the deal and they do not know what causes it. I really think it's software bug but I can't prove it.

good luck.

Gramps

Niagara, Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Essence
Thanks Mike. The dealer replaced my radio/screen etc. under warranty. Then I had a problem with XM in getting xm operational again but that is cleared uip. We will see what happens now. I am glad, sort of, that someone else has had this happen. I get told that I am the only one. Anyway, the radio/assembly was replaced with no hassle. Take yours back to the dealer and get it replaced. Without warranty, the thing is about $3000.
Good luck

craig rapp

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Today October 26, 2013, the same problem happened to me and ny 2012 Verano with only 13k miles. Called the dealer to set up an appointment. I was about to buy my wife a buick encore too... If this issue is handled poorly buick will be losing a customer. Ill keep you all updated.

jeepgrady

Contributing Member
Lehighton, Pa.
Buick Ownership
2018 Enclave Avenir
Happened to me several times. Driving along with the radio on and it just goes off and the screen is black. Press the power button and it comes back on.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The software version and a bunch of other numbers along with a test mode by holding the Config button(posted on LaCrosse forum.

craig rapp

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Happened to me several times. Driving along with the radio on and it just goes off and the screen is black. Press the power button and it comes back on.
Unfortunately mine wouldn't power back on. .. after about an hour with the car off it turned on. Still going to take it to the dealer to look at. ..

Mrdummy

TheFitnessBoard.com
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
I think this is the same issue the dealership regarding turning itself on and off while driving, said fix was coming within 90 days.

Hope a radio swap is not the permanent fix!

MrD

ter06

Philadelphia Pa
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano (White diamond Tricoat) and 2013 Buick Verano ( Carbon Black Metallic) turbo.
Ive had the same issue a couple times. but mine worked again after I turned the car off and opened the door to kill the retained power and it worked fine.

Detroit, USA
Today October 26, 2013, the same problem happened to me and ny 2012 Verano with only 13k miles. Called the dealer to set up an appointment. I was about to buy my wife a buick encore too... If this issue is handled poorly buick will be losing a customer. Ill keep you all updated.
craig rapp,

I apologize greatly that you're having the same Intellilink concern. Please keep us updated on the service visit and feel free to contact us if additional assistance is needed.

William R.
Buick Customer Care

asterling

Alberta, Canada
Buick Ownership
13 Buick Verano fully loaded, custom 97 Sonoma, 02 Silverado LT, 99 Tahoe sport
Wow looks like im not going crazy either. not only has my screen blinked out but my back up cam wouldnt work... wtf? i wonder if they will replace it under waranty without actually seeing it blink out.

*update
So I can't have my screen replaced without the dealership actually seeing it black out.. it only does it for me when I'm driving and it seems to be once in a blue moon when it does so this will be very difficult to prove it is doing this. How did you guys get yours fixed? did u show them it was black or just say it was and got it replaced?

Last edited:

Dan_Lockwood

Buick Ownership
Buick
I guess I'll join in with my '13 Verano doing similar things.

Even last winter this problem happened a few times, but I'm not paying attention to when it happens, until this week.

I start up in the morning and my backup camera works, my AM station I listen to comes and I drive off. I get about thee minutes down the road to the main stoplight prior to the freeway. The screen goes off, talk stops and then after about 15 seconds the Buick logo flips up and the screen comes back and then the radio restarts. I've done nothing to turn it off or back on, just let it do its own thing.

Then has happened more since we've been down in the 20's in the morning. It did it all three days that it was that cold out. Today it was in the mid 40's and no problems.

I've not yet contacted the dealership, but mine seems to be more temperature related. On each of the three times, I've had my remote start on for about 15 minutes before getting in the car.

I'm sure from what I've seen on this thread that I have basically the same issues and will need to contact my dealership for serving it.

Thanks.

Dan

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The Verano definitely needs an update as my Encore reconnects BT everytime. The Verano won't pick up a stream alreay in process where you jump in the Encore and it picks it up.

But i tired of the power drain and went with 3.5mm direct connection cable jack.

gjtalis

ny
Buick Ownership
2012 reagal gs
so my intelilink screen just went blank out of the blue, will be taking it in to dealership next week.... theres no way they can blame it on the P3 boost gauge or led bumper lights right?? those are only electronic mods i have made to the car.... just preparing myself for whatever BS the dealership might come back at me with

mds30092

Buick Ownership
2017 encore and 2013 encore
I am not sure what could be causing your concern. If this reoccurs, feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.
My 2017 Buick encore radio screen went black this morning when I started the car. Whats up with this? I cannot get it to turn back on and I cannot change the radio station.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
My 2017 Buick encore radio screen went black this morning when I started the car. Whats up with this? I cannot get it to turn back on and I cannot change the radio station.
What's up with this....? Short answer, unnecessarily complicated and delicate electronics and software.

We should be surprised when all of these "foo-foo" options work, not when they don't.
Going forward, I fully expect problematic and costly electronic repairs to be common place on ALL of these newer vehicles.

In case you can't tell I am not a fan of the "all encompassing" display screen in these new vehicles.
Do I really need a high-def LCD screen to just listen to the radio?

Tesperiqueta

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore
Same thing happened today to my 2017 Buick Encore. My screen went blank. Radio works and I can change channels just can’t see anything on it. Is there something I can do?