Blind Spot Monitoring System ...

Carleen

Buick
:confused: The Blind Spot Monitoring System was not available on my 2012 Verano does anyone know if it would be possible for the dealer to install this system on my car and would it be worth the money? Thank you, Carleen

bensinep

Ottawa, ON
Verano Turbo
I don't think so. At the very least, you'd need new side mirrors (the ones with the blind spot indicator lights), and a bunch of holes punched in your rear bumper for the sonar emitters.

Carleen

Buick
Thanks for you advise I'm not going to do it if it means taking the car apart. I do have back up sensors and I like them a lot. Have a great day, Carleen.

jldavis

2013 Verona T
You might google for the info. One company is Goshers. "Worth the money" is for the individual to determine.

bensinep

Ottawa, ON
Verano Turbo
I didn't know the rear parking sensors were available on the 2012s. I believer they're the same sensors used for the blind spot monitor. Talk to your dealer... maybe something is possible by just swapping the mirrors to get the indicator lights.

verano4u

2019 Sportback
Sorry, but I will never rely on a computer to tell me that it is clear to change lanes. I drive on highways that are 3-8 lanes wide and these units do not work well in these conditions. Many will disagree with me, but I will do my shoulder check.

Carleen

Buick
I will check with the dealer

I also feel that it's not a good idea to depend on a computer for most things.

Verano4 what's your opinion on the blind spots in the V. Thanks and have a great day.Carleen

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
I don't think anyone recommends that you should change lanes without checking your blind spot yourself, whether you have BSM or not. The monitor is just a backup for a fallible human.

True fact:

In the early days of manned flight, many planes, especially pusher planes had the pilot sitting precariously on a seat that gave them little support in maintaining their seat. Some people recommended seatbelts, but a great many pilots refused to use them, viewing seatbelts as unmanly. After many pilots fell to their deaths, this group grew much smaller as seatbelt skeptics either involuntarily removed themselves from the pilot pool, or got more willing to depend on an artificial aid.

True story! Admittedly blind spot monitors aren't as vital as seatbelts on those old planes, though. But obviously I recommend them. Others may have different views, which is their prerogative, and why we have different trim levels!

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
After I buy my Verano, I'll use the technology it comes with but it shouldn't and won't replace me checking my mirrors or looking over my shoulders when I backup or change lanes. The camera, blindspot detection, cross-traffic and park assist should supplement the driver's own eyes, ears and judgement, not replace them.

To answer the original poster, your best bet is to check with your dealer or ask one of the Buick Customer Service Reps who post in these threads.

verano4u

2019 Sportback
I will check with the dealer

I also feel that it's not a good idea to depend on a computer for most things.

Verano4 what's your opinion on the blind spots in the V. Thanks and have a great day.Carleen
Overall checking for blind spots using the mirrors and shoulder checks, I would rate the ease of being 8/10. Shoulder checking the driver side is a bit harder due to the driver door pillar being in the way.

Carleen

Buick
Thanks again for all the advise regarding blind spot mirrors.
I remember my skylark it was the first car I had with FWD loved it. Have a great day,Carleen.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
Thanks again for all the advise regarding blind spot mirrors.
I remember my skylark it was the first car I had with FWD loved it. Have a great day,Carleen.
The Buick is not to be the most content laiden of GM divisions as Cadillac is the special child. I'm sure you could find an aftermarket company that do the same as OE would supply but with adjustable zones. I hate those things setting off my Valentine One radar detector but I'm sure your insurance company would enterain a discount if you had one.

I my girlfriend back in the mid/late 80's had a Skylark FWD. Nice car with leather.

Carleen

Buick
After finding out my 2012 Verano couldn't have the blind side sensor mirrors added I went to youtube and checked out a few videos on How to adjust your side mirrors properly. Check it out because most of us are doing it incorrectly. I always though you had to see the side of your car boy was I wrong. Hope this helps, Carleen

Turbo Buick Badge