Blind spots

rpk0925

Buick
I'm having a very difficult time deciding whether I want to buy an Encore or not. My local Buick dealer is letting me use a base model for the entire weekend in the hopes that it will make up my mind one way or the other.

As noted in a previous thread, the car I'm replacing is a 1997 Toyota RAV4 which I drove for the last 17 years. One big difference I've noticed with the Encore are the blind spots when trying to look out the rear windows, whether it's by using the various mirrors or turning your head to back up. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the "boxier" wide open windows of the RAV4, but the Encore's rear window seems so tiny ... almost useless to look out of. When using the rear view mirror, the 2 rear head rests block a good portion of the view. And if you turn your head to look out the side windows when backing up, the pillars and head rests both cause pretty good sized blind spots. (I worry about things like not seeing children when backing up). I realize that the Encore has a rear view back-up camera and blind zone alerts ... I just feel funny having to rely on electronic "gadgets" (for lack of a better word) to see where I'm going. Unfortunately, the base model that I'm using this weekend doesn't have the alerts, so I can't see how they work.

I'm not so sure that I'll be able to adapt to using the camera and alerts. Maybe I'm just not built for such a luxury vehicle. ???

Can anybody relate to what I'm saying or is it just me? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

(Looking from the driver's seat forward, everything is fine.)

Thank you.

R&L's Encore

Buick AWD Encore
No doubt the blind spots are terrible, I find it especially troubling at night. It's the one negative I have about this vehicle.

The backup camera works fine and does a good job helping see whats back there.

We have a 2013 without the blind zone alerts. I would highly recommend getting them.

adrunk

Silicon Valley
1-16-1992
interesting

i drove a 2003 rav4 for 8 years, so i relate

the encore's blind spots are not out the back, but thru the front a pillars (the large post connecting the roof to the body between windshield and door glass)

nearly run over hidden bikes and cars a couple of times

the solution is to be aware of it

i've had no rear blind spot issues beyond the rear tint being too dark

i found the backup camera to be a nice supplement to actually looking and obviously not a replacement

we really like our encore and will probably trade it for a '15 in a few months

:headbang:

Last edited:

rpk0925

Buick
.......... the encore's blind spots are not out the back, but thru the front a pillars (the large post connecting the roof to the body between windshield and door glass)

............ i've had no rear blind spot issues beyond the rear tint being too dark
Thank you for all the replies. I may have spoken too soon about the blind spots when looking through the rear view mirror. Since my first post, I found out that the rear head rests in my loaner were in the "up" position and can be moved down quite a ways so they aren't projecting up so far. I still think it's a very small rear window to look through, but putting the rear head rests in the "down position" helps.

Feralhog

New Hampshire
2013 Buick Encore. 2012 Buick Lacrosse
The only blind spot that concerns us is when the road is angled so that when trying to turn left across traffic/lanes, you are looking diagonally toward the rear across the front passenger seat (headrest) and side windows (right front and rear). If that headrest was removed it would be a lot easier to see obviously, but then you have no headrest. I doubt I am describing this correctly. Here is the world's crappiest drawing of what I mean (wrong PC for graphics program so welcome to Paint!)......Kinda looks like some kind of intestinal blockage but whatever....

blindspot.jpg

We have a backup camera which gives a fish-eye view of the area behind the car. If it counts for anything the blind-spot alert on the Lacrosse works well (just flashing lights on the mirror, no buzzer or alarm), but that only tells you what's close to the car, not what's coming down the street at you.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
Good description. I ran into the same type of road.

I found that just by removing the rear headrests all the way, makes the whole car a little easier. Keep in mind, I rarely have anyone in the rear seat, and when I do, I'll re install the rear head rest.

But with those head rests out, it opens up the view a little and when you fold down the back seats, they fold completely flat now without having to move the front seats forward.

With the rear head rests in there, it seemed like they hit the back of the front seat and I had to force the rear seat down flat. I thought I might be hurting or scratching the leather.

u600213

Springfield MO
Buick Encore
I replaced my 17 yr old 1997 RAV4L with my 2014 AWD Encore. It took a while to get used to the Encore. I have found that I have to set the side mirrors "wider" away from the car body to cover the blind spots. I am used to it now. Honestly the front roof pillars and the plastic behind the rear view mirror bug me more than the blind spots. The backup camera helps for parking.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
As some have already figured out and mentioned the side mirrors are not for looking at the side of your. :)

rpk0925

Buick
Thank you everybody. I haven't decided against an Encore. But at the same time, I'm still open to other vehicles too. My local Buick dealership is fairly small. They won't be getting an Encore in with the features I like until late October or November. So in the meantime, I'm trying to look at other vehicles too, as time allows. Ideally, I'd like to have some kind of AWD vehicle before the snow starts flying again. Oh, and I'm taking note of your suggestion to test-drive a Premium Encore. Thanks again!

gjc

Buick Newbie
Buick
The side view mirrors can be set to show a better view when car is in reverse then return to setting when back in drive

mcaracciolo384

Pittsburgh, PA
2014 Encore
The side view mirrors can be set to show a better view when car is in reverse then return to setting when back in drive

So do you mean that you can set the mirrors for when in reverse and then when you put the car in drive it will automatically change the mirrors back? How do you set this feature? My friends BMW has this feature and i find very helpful. I have a 2014 Encore w/ Convenience package. Is it an option available for my car?

Thanks,

Mike

Get your turbo buick badge right here!