Blower Fan

Handy Heather

2016 Buick Encore
Greetings!
I have a 2016 Buick Encore. All of a sudden the blower will not blow outward. Cabin filter is clean, you can hear and feel the motor blowing the air, it's just not reaching the vents, like there would be a block somewhere.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Joester

2016 Encore
The comfort control system uses flaps and doors to direct the airflow to the intended vents. On older vehicles they used engine vacuum, but I would imagine on newer vehicles they use motors to move them. I would start by looking closely at the fuses and see if one is spent.
I have a '16 too so when time permits I'll see if I can figure out how they're controlled and what might be the problem.

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring
The flaps are controlled by actuators which are as Joester said small motors with circuit boards.

Have you had your battery changed or any work done where the battery was disconnected and reattached? It's not unheard of for one of the actuators to take a jolt and fail. It was something that was pretty common on early 2000s GM trucks

Joester

2016 Encore
Have you had your battery changed or any work done where the battery was disconnected and reattached? It's not unheard of for one of the actuators to take a jolt and fail. It was something that was pretty common on early 2000s GM trucks
OK, so here's a question:
Would or could providing a jump start to another vehicle with a dead battery create a similar "shock" to the system that would cause the same issue?

Joester

2016 Encore
I've used jumper cables for more years than I care to remember and never had an issue (especially reversing cables), but if there is a chance I can damage my vehicle by offering a jump start then I think there is a weakness in the system. Knowing that, I will stop carrying jumper cables. Not worth risking hundreds of dollars damage trying to be a nice guy.
This would be the second design issue I have with the Encore.

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring
It's not a weakness in the system, it's just modern vehicles in general. Page 248 of the Encore manual shows the procedure for using jumper cables.

poncho167

2019 Essence
Yes, with all of those electronics in vehicles today it can be very worrisome and easy to damage things. Not sure what the owners manual says in regards to this but I would definitely check that out. Another idea are those portable lithium jump starters that are very reasonably priced. They will jump several cars with one charge all for around $30.

Greg870

Encore
The part that has failed is called a "blend door actuator" or "air door actuator".
Replacement with labor at the dealer will probably be $150 to $200.

Jeff
Jeff, I have bad blend door actuator in my Encore. Do you know if it is hard to replace it? Do you have to do remove dashboard to get access to or you can get to it from underneath? Why would dealer charge only so little?
I would appreciate your response. Thank you.

oregon_rider

Encore
Jeff, I have bad blend door actuator in my Encore. Do you know if it is hard to replace it? Do you have to do remove dashboard to get access to or you can get to it from underneath? Why would dealer charge only so little?
I don't know the answer to your question.

You can get an account on alldatadiy.com and it will show you factory service instructions on how to do it. It will list time that is needed to perform the task so that you will have an idea of the difficulty.

Jeff

TimN

2015 Encore
where you able to figure out where it is located? I think that is the problem with my 2015.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!