Blown head gasket

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Unfortunately, the temp gauge rose very fast last week. Mechanic said the head gasket was failing so recommended a replacement engine.

Given the Vous has 300,000 miles (and already had both the engine and transmission replaced once), it is probably time to stop throwing good money after bad. It was a good ride.

Replacement might be some Buick with the 3800 engine but not sure at this point.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Unfortunately, the temp gauge rose very fast last week. Mechanic said the head gasket was failing so recommended a replacement engine.

Given the Vous has 300,000 miles (and already had both the engine and transmission replaced once), it is probably time to stop throwing good money after bad. It was a good ride.

Replacement might be some Buick with the 3800 engine but not sure at this point.
That's the way I do it. Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and move on. Are you going for another vehicle similar to the Rendezvous?

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
I wonder if the mechanic even checked or replaced the thermostat before condemning the whole engine??

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
So brother was driving and temp gauge went very high. Then normalized a bit then very high again. No smoke or obvious leaks. At home, he saw that coolant tank had a lot more coolant in it.

Mechanic replaced thermostat but said engine was still running hot. He did a compression test and some other test (brother can't remember what) and concluded head gasket was shot.

Mechanic said a replacement engine would be best fix but said car was not worth repairing.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
I don't understand why any well trained mechanic, could not replace a warped/leaking head or gasket, rather than the whole engine? Som Ting Wong here!

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I don't understand why any well trained mechanic, could not replace a warped/leaking head or gasket, rather than the whole engine? Som Ting Wong here!
Judging from what the OP said in post #7 the mechanic is an honest man. He could probably do the job but he is looking out for his customer's best interests. At 300k miles the rest of the vehicle may be on it's last legs and not worth the time and expense of either a costly head job or even costlier engine replacement. You have to know when it's time to move on.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Replacing the head gasket is time consuming on these and mechanic expected head would need to be sent to a machine shop. So a replacement engine was his recommendation if the car didn't have so much mileage.

The AC is broken and the car has enough rust and wear not to warrant the investment.

Too bad as we finally got the AWD finally working and killed all the warning lights this winter. That took a lot of work and some new hubs.

MrEdog

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Rendezvous CS
Replacing the head gasket is time consuming on these and mechanic expected head would need to be sent to a machine shop. So a replacement engine was his recommendation if the car didn't have so much mileage.

The AC is broken and the car has enough rust and wear not to warrant the investment.

Too bad as we finally got the AWD finally working and killed all the warning lights this winter. That took a lot of work and some new hubs.
Im really happy to hear your rende hit 300k miles!! :) Great job! Now for any vehicle thats under $30-40grand in new purchase price, i wouldnt want to keep repairing past 250/300k miles. Your money will be better spent on a new vehicle. Price per month of repairs vs price of new car payment.

that being said.... My dad has a 96 chevy z71 sport edition, hes replaced the engine twice, trans 3 times, and just about everything on the vehicle. Drives my mom mad hes sunk 80+k into an old vehicle. But his reason: he loves the truck and doesnt care for the newer models, so he just keeps fixing it. I would feel the same way if i found that "one vehicle" i love so much. But for regular non-car enthusiasts, best to replace.

Mechanic sounds like a good guy. He saw 300k miles, blown head gasket, and thought the same as other good mechanics.. cost to much to bring up to speed. A shitty mechanic would tell you to replace the engine, even knowing the rest of the car prob wont even last.

If you have your own shop, or know someone, then i see no reason why not buy new gaskets and have headers shopped and cleaned a bit. Its free if you do your own labor right? But if you have to have someone does this for you, then dont pay to fix it. Just take some pics, make mental notes of that amazing Rende, and move on :)

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have changed one engine and one transmission before. But those are very messy jobs. I would need to borrow some labor and big tools. It would be a lot of effort and we would have to get the old engine to a junkyard. Just not worth the effort IMHO. And good money after bad.

Your dad's z71 had heavy duty truck parts so that was probably fine to keep repairing past 250k miles. The Rendezvous was a lightweight car platform with a big body and heavy AWD added, so that resulted in quick wearing basic parts (wheel bearings, transmissions, etc.)

Get your turbo buick badge right here!