BNR tuned 2.0T

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Hey Guys,

For those interested, this was just a quick and dirty video of a run in my '13 Verano Turbo with the baseline BNR tune.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey MJ,

I just ordered this tune for my 2016 Verano Turbo, Jerry said operating system is so new it might take a week to map out the fuel, I'm looking forward to it though, I have only heard good things, also since our engine is the LHU, do you think the ZZP intercooler kit would fit our cars, and if so, how about there ZFR, it fits the 2011-2012 LHU regals.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Hey MJ,

I just ordered this tune for my 2016 Verano Turbo, Jerry said operating system is so new it might take a week to map out the fuel, I'm looking forward to it though, I have only heard good things, also since our engine is the LHU, do you think the ZZP intercooler kit would fit our cars, and if so, how about there ZFR, it fits the 2011-2012 LHU regals.
I'm not sure. I have looked into the ZZP intake for the LHU Regal. I believe there is one Verano owner who did some retrofitting to get the ZZP intake for the Regal installed in his car. At the moment, my car is bone stock without the tune so adding those additional parts should really turn this little guy into a beast.

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm not sure. I have looked into the ZZP intake for the LHU Regal. I believe there is one Verano owner who did some retrofitting to get the ZZP intake for the Regal installed in his car. At the moment, my car is bone stock without the tune so adding those additional parts should really turn this little guy into a beast.
Yeah all I have is a K&N drop in filter with the tune in the mail. I have sent ZZP an email to see if their LHU intercooler kit will work and if the ZFR would fit, I had a 2010 cobalt ss with every mod you can think of with the exception of a turbo upgrade, traded it in for the Verano, much more comfortable then the all plastic cobalt that's for sure. I'm definitely not touching the exhaust this time, I like the quietness of this car, how do you like the tune so far and have you data logged it yet?

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Yeah all I have is a K&N drop in filter with the tune in the mail. I have sent ZZP an email to see if their LHU intercooler kit will work and if the ZFR would fit, I had a 2010 cobalt ss with every mod you can think of with the exception of a turbo upgrade, traded it in for the Verano, much more comfortable then the all plastic cobalt that's for sure. I'm definitely not touching the exhaust this time, I like the quietness of this car, how do you like the tune so far and have you data logged it yet?
The tune is outstanding! The car behaves like it has a naturally aspirated engine. In stock form, my car used to downshift abruptly when coming off the gas say to make a turn. That made it kind of tricky to drive but with the engine and tranny tune (I had Jerry tune my auto trans too) it is a different and better car. I have logged it and with the base tune the car is making 325 ft-lbs of torque at 83% throttle. Unlike my previous tune, this tune is consistent and the power comes on smooth and predictable. I'd say this tune generates a touch more power than the previous one.

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The tune is outstanding! The car behaves like it has a naturally aspirated engine. In stock form, my car used to downshift abruptly when coming off the gas say to make a turn. That made it kind of tricky to drive but with the engine and tranny tune (I had Jerry tune my auto trans too) it is a different and better car. I have logged it and with the base tune the car is making 325 ft-lbs of torque at 83% throttle. Unlike my previous tune, this tune is consistent and the power comes on smooth and predictable. I'd say this tune generates a touch more power than the previous one.
Well that's good, I had a trifecta tune on my cobalt and I liked it but I heard BNRs power comes in a lot cleaner which is good, and I saw videos on YouTube of BNR tunes making more power with less boost then trifecta which is very impressive, I wish there was more of an aftermarket for this car, I talked to ZZP and although the Verano is an LHU they don't think the turbo piping from the Verano is the same as the regal, so they don't think there kit will work, that sucks because there dyno info for the kit was very promising, especially considering how fast a car can heat soak in New Mexico.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Yeah, my previous tune was by Trifecta and it did generate good power but it was the kind of tune that either gave you all the power at once or none at all. The car became schizophrenic over time and was tricky to drive so when BNR announced their own tune I was eager to check it out. It is VERY true that the power the BNR tune generates comes on smooth and is spread out across the entire rev range. The car drives MUCH better than it did stock and I'm very pleased with it. I may go with new exhaust and BOV (the stock BOV is crap) if I decide I'm keeping the car.

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah, my previous tune was by Trifecta and it did generate good power but it was the kind of tune that either gave you all the power at once or none at all. The car became schizophrenic over time and was tricky to drive so when BNR announced their own tune I was eager to check it out. It is VERY true that the power the BNR tune generates comes on smooth and is spread out across the entire rev range. The car drives MUCH better than it did stock and I'm very pleased with it. I may go with new exhaust and BOV (the stock BOV is crap) if I decide I'm keeping the car.
So I received the auto cal and sent the stock tune back to Jerry, how long did you wait before he sent you the baseline custom tune? I'm sure he is busy, I'm just excited to see the difference, how many data logs did you have to send until you considered the tune dialed in?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
So I received the auto cal and sent the stock tune back to Jerry, how long did you wait before he sent you the baseline custom tune? I'm sure he is busy, I'm just excited to see the difference, how many data logs did you have to send until you considered the tune dialed in?
It can take a few days depending on his schedule. If you don't hear anything send him a friendly email 'nudge'.

How many data logs is entirely up to the quality of the logs he receives and how easily your engine likes the settings he sends back. Did he give you instruction on what type of driving to log in order to get the most out of the logs you're sending him? [it may be on the piece of paper that came with the auto cal]

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It can take a few days depending on his schedule. If you don't hear anything send him a friendly email 'nudge'.

How many data logs is entirely up to the quality of the logs he receives and how easily your engine likes the settings he sends back. Did he give you instruction on what type of driving to log in order to get the most out of the logs you're sending him? [it may be on the piece of paper that came with the auto cal]
Yeah it said get some WOT runs in the data logging but didn't have specifics (like do I do it from a dead stop or just from a 2nd gear pull) but we will figure it out I'm sure, thanks for your input though I appreciate it, I take it you have the BNR tune as well...how do you like it

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Yeah it said get some WOT runs in the data logging but didn't have specifics (like do I do it from a dead stop or just from a 2nd gear pull) but we will figure it out I'm sure, thanks for your input though I appreciate it, I take it you have the BNR tune as well...how do you like it
Yeah, same instructions for mine. No need to do one from stop although it can't hurt. I did two on the highway, with no one around. :D Only advice would be to make sure the car's warmed up, 10+ minutes of driving before the WOT. I basically did a route from my house to the highway, normal driving, then the (2) WOTs and sent that in.

Tune is awesome. My experience mirrors MJ's. I'm not tearing up the roads around here, but when I do lay into it this car sure gets moving in a hurry. Car was quick, now it's really quick! I'm still trying to think of a decent flat spot I could do a 0-60 run and record it like MJ did.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Yeah, same instructions for mine. No need to do one from stop although it can't hurt. I did two on the highway, with no one around. :D

Tune is awesome. My experience mirrors MJ's. I'm not tearing up the roads around here, but when I do lay into it this car sure gets moving in a hurry. Car was quick, now it's really quick!
I have had Trifecta tune for the last 3 years via BNR. Jerry helped my tune a XTS VSport I picked up last summer from 369 lb-ft of torque to 550+ and I did some transmission tuning since to make it a little more lively with HPTuners.

The Verano 6MT 2.0T is showing 280+ lb-ft stock and 380+ with the tune. It'll definitely impress you!

A guy at work wanted a ecu tune for his Sonic 1.4T so I did his and a couple of other V6's and V8's on 87 octane. Currently tuning the fiancé's Terrain 2.4l on 87 octane working on the trans and engine tunes. A guy at work wants to get some pep out of Terrain 2.4l and the fiancé is likeing the new found performance.

As far as data logging they are just looking for logs at mid-to-high rpms/loads where knock or preignition on hotter days with your normal premium gas in your area. I've yet to tune my Verano but the tunes I do fill in the lower or most common operating rpm. If you have an intake or have changed the exhaust they should know for your tune. Otherwise a stock Verano 2.0T has allot of potential right out of the box with a tuned ecu. An onramp when your car is warmed up is as good place to play! :)

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT

On point with this post.☺

It took a couple of days for Jerry to get me the baseline tune. So far the tune is netting pretty decent numbers and the car is pretty quick as you can tell from the video. Actually, Jerry recommended I don't get anymore aggressive with the tune and because I wanted a safe and reliable tune this is probably where I keep it. I would like to get my drop in K&N filter added and adjust the tune for it. I' m waiting for Jerry to get back to me on that.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
The Verano 6MT 2.0T is showing 280+ lb-ft stock and 380+ with the tune. It'll definitely impress you!
Hey Norm,

Is that 380 lb-ft for E85 Verano's or premium fuel?:eek:

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Nice! I really don't want to go crazy with this car while I'm still making payments on it but I wouldn't mind getting every drop of performance out of it without having to get new exhaust, downpipe, etc. I'll just sit back and drool at you guy's numbers, lol!

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Nice! I really don't want to go crazy with this car while I'm still making payments on it but I wouldn't mind getting every drop of performance out of it without having to get new exhaust, downpipe, etc. I'll just sit back and drool at you guy's numbers, lol!
Well I finally got the tune in my email but unfortunately I'm TDY in Florida right now (totally sarcastic on the unfortunately part) but when I get back I will data log it and also upload a video of my results for the car without and with the tune so everyone can see the difference.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
OK, so I finally went ahead and replaced the stock air filter with the K&N air filter. First day I noticed right away that the ECU was making adjustments due to a sudden increase or decrease in air flow. Actually, the car started running just like it did on the Trifecta tune (engine wise). I went out and logged a run and it showed a decrease in torque from 325 ft-lbs to 304. I can confirm that by the seat of my pants as I did feel a lack of torque while logging. Also, the power was peaky as opposed to being spread out across the rev range however the engine has picked up some additional power because when it comes on, I'm spinning the front tires while doing 60mph! I did sort of expect this with the K&N as past installs on other cars yielded a slight loss of power down low but increased power up top.

Day 2, the ECU has seemed to iron things out with the filter change because now the log is showing torque at 318 versus 304 from yesterday. Engine is running smoother, knock is down from 6.5 to 1.3 and the tranny now seems to run through the lower gears quicker than before. I going to see if Jerry can smooth the power out like it was with the stock air filter but so far the engine pulls a little harder but turbo lag is also a bit worse. Also, for the first time I can hear the BOV which is meaningless for me in this car since it is designed to be whisper quiet. i will see if i can get somewhere and do a run to compare it against the last one. Got into it with a 2015 Dodge Charger Rallye Edition (V6, 300hp)while heading to work this morning. Let's just say I put some distance between him and I in a hurry.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.