• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Boost Gauge

Sport Wagon

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
Has anyone mounted a boost gauge in their car or found a way to display it on the instrument cluster? I would like to have one but I don't want my car to look like a high school kids civic.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I had reached out to P3 a while back to see if they would make one for our gen since they made them for the previous gen but no luck. They have a DIY kit but I don't trust myself especially given they are fairly expensive.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
No one has any other ideas?
Someone on FB group has a dash mounted gauge installed, you might check there.

There is probably something that works with OBD2 port and a smart phone to display boost.

Also exchanging the instrument cluster for a GS cluster the boost gauge can be enabled by Whites Automotive.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't think anyone has gotten reliable readings from the OBD2 port but I could be wrong. Since I think White reads this info I would be suspect of its reliability as well. But with that said I don't know if anyone actually compared this OBD2 data to a physical gauge. Since there has been a bunch of talk about the torque limiting built into the trans, it could be the numbers people were seeing were correct for that gear.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't think anyone has gotten reliable readings from the OBD2 port but I could be wrong. Since I think White reads this info I would be suspect of its reliability as well. But with that said I don't know if anyone actually compared this OBD2 data to a physical gauge. Since there has been a bunch of talk about the torque limiting built into the trans, it could be the numbers people were seeing were correct for that gear.
From everything I have found you won't get a reliable OBD2 boost readout. For the Torque app I can never land on something realistic. I either get ok looking boost, but idle is -20 psi (less than a perfect vacuum?), or realistic idle vac, but it never makes more than 3 psi boost, or idles at 4 psi boost, and makes 30+ psi at wot. That last one may be correct if it's absolute pressure.

As for torque limiting - it would be really nice to get something other than hearsay about this. Yes torque limiting is real, and used, and likely in play. But looking at the weight and power of this car it is absolutely where it should be in terms of 1/4 mile times. Its definitely not neutered to 200 nm (148 ftlbs) that one user claimed. Keep in mind all his info is based on the Opel versions which give slower times than the TourX.

Plus, how does one lay down 325 ftlbs to the wheels if torque is limited so severely?
Post in thread 'Trifecta Install, Black Friday 2020' Trifecta Install, Black Friday 2020

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well I can tell you I am not all that happy with the Trifecta tune because it is like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Third gear seems to be what I expected from a tune but first and second feel like stock. Other gears feel weak as well, sometimes you go for it and are left wondering WTF the torque is. It is so far from being linear or predictable it ends up being harder to drive fast than a stock car. While I don't think torque is as low as you mentioned, I would not be surprised to hear there is something else going on.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
Well I can tell you I am not all that happy with the Trifecta tune because it is like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Third gear seems to be what I expected from a tune but first and second feel like stock. Other gears feel weak as well, sometimes you go for it and are left wondering WTF the torque is. It is so far from being linear or predictable it ends up being harder to drive fast than a stock car. While I don't think torque is as low as you mentioned, I would not be surprised to hear there is something else going on.
A question I've had about the Trifecta tune I've not seen addressed.
Does the Trifecta tune disable the Traction Control and the ESC or do you still need to disable them yourself to get the maximum benefit ?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
A question I've had about the Trifecta tune I've not seen addressed.
Does the Trifecta tune disable the Traction Control and the ESC or do you still need to disable them yourself to get the maximum benefit ?
I have never had it cut power from wheel slip if that is what you are asking. First and second gear feel no different than stock, so turning it off won't do much. 0-60 is basically unchanged since the first two gears feel like you're towing a boat or something, then third kicks in but you are basically to 60 by then. At that point you aren't going to break the tires free.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
I have never had it cut power from wheel slip if that is what you are asking. First and second gear feel no different than stock, so turning it off won't do much. 0-60 is basically unchanged since the first two gears feel like you're towing a boat or something, then third kicks in but you are basically to 60 by then. At that point you aren't going to break the tires free.
Well, that really doesn't answer my question. I'll assume you don't know if the Trifecta tune disables or modulates the TC and the ESC. Now I'm wondering if you've ever turned off the ESC even in the stock tune ? It isn't just turning off the TC, you have to hold the button until it indicates that the ESC is also turned off.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well, that really doesn't answer my question. I'll assume you don't know if the Trifecta tune disables or modulates the TC and the ESC. Now I'm wondering if you've ever turned off the ESC even in the stock tune ? It isn't just turning off the TC, you have to hold the button until it indicates that the ESC is also turned off.
Yes I have shut it all off to play in the snow, but I see no reason to do it in the dry especially straight line...this isn't a 400+ hp beast that shreds tires. The only time I get wheels spin is going through intersections that still have grit from the winter.

TC off will do nothing for reasons mentioned above and ESP won't change the acceleration either unless you are really pushing it through a turn and it was somehow cutting power to keep you on the road. While I don't know for sure if the tune changes these I would say not. The car behaves the same and honestly tuning an ESP system comes with too much time invested to make it worthwhile for them especially given the amount of liability they would have if they screwed it up. I think if they invested in changing this it would be mentioned just like their trans flash is mentioned.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
I think if they invested in changing this it would be mentioned just like their trans flash is mentioned.
The do actually say:
The complete powertrain calibration also includes ESC (Stabilitrak) program enhancements.

But like you said, not sure what they would even change. Maybe if you are trying to push the car hard on a dirt road things would be coming into play, but it certainly isn't going to be invasive trying a straight line launch on pavement. Maybe they've done a bit of something for autocross type situations? Not sure what it would be though, unless they have the ability to adjust the torque vectoring.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Never noticed that mention before and really surprised they messed with it just due to liability reasons. Unless it was such a small change just to be able to market that it has it. I really can't see them taking the risk someone is going to go to hard and then try to blame their programming. If I had to guess they just elevated the intervention point but left the tuning alone.

But you are probably right, you may only notice it on a dirt road or snow covered road/parking lot.

But back on topic....I was searching around last night and found some cool projects depending on how technical you are. I saw some posts about using an Arduino and a small display. The display looked to be about 1" square and pretty flat so you could print up a case to mount it somewhere and look pretty good.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I do wish we had a little more insight into the tune for the engine AND anything going on in the transmission. I get not sharing your trade secrets, but I would just be curious to see a more detailed enhancement list + reliable dyno numbers to back it up.

I also did not buy this car to race, flog, etc etc. This is my family grocery getting and road trip cruiser. It is great at those things.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!