Brake diaphragm ???

NE AZ
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
Thread starter #1
Good day to all the LeSabre family,
We have a 2000 LeSabre with approximately 110,000 miles. Just recently :sad:, we started having some braking issues. Brake is starting to feel harder as you push pedal down. A "swooshing" noise as it's pressed. So I did a little research and had the vehicle running, checked the hoses, checked the little valve into the diaphragm. Didn't see/hear anything. I wanted to know if I should get new valves. I saw that there appears to be one into the manifold. I was also going to change the brake fluid, it is quite dirty and bleed them. I also saw that, to change the diaphragm, is looks to be a bit of some work, as I will need to move the motor, for the diaphragm to clear it. Any thoughts will be appreciated...thanks in advance.

NE AZ
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
Thread starter #2
Ok, so I just had a chance to look and saw that the air was coming out from underneath the dash, around the rod that connects the pedal to the diaphragm. A circular valve it appears. So, I'm guessing it will need to be replaced. Will it damage the system if I don't change immediately ?

Lubener

N.Ohio
Buick Ownership
Lesabre(97)
There is a seal there which appears to be leaking. The only valve is the one way check valve which is in the grommet on the booster. Used to trap vacuum and not drain the vacuum storage tank everytime the pedal is pushed.Won't damage anything but a panic stop might yield little power assist. Something to remember.

NE AZ
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
Thread starter #4
Lubener,
I appreciate your response...I suppose that there aren't many who read this forum like others I am a member of, so thank you for your help. I did get some help and did find out that, yes, 'a panic stop might yield little power assist.' So this seal you mentioned...is it replaceable ? I am driving the vehicle and just have to be extra careful.

Lubener

N.Ohio
Buick Ownership
Lesabre(97)
Never on a Buick but I have replaced boosters on Fords. The booster had to be removed to service. I cannot answer if the seal itself is available as my failures were leaky diaphrams so the whole assembly was replaced. I am just curious, with the engine off, pump the brakes and see if you get 3-5 assisted pumps before the pedal goes hard.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.