Brake rotor warped on rear disk 2003

imidazol97

Top Dog
2003 leSabre
100,000 miles

I replaced rear brake rotors about 10,000 miles ago. Then one of the originals had warped and the dealer had turned them under warranty.

The unevenness when braking is back and it's the rear. At moderate braking I feel it. I tried the emergency brake to test and the grabbiness is there.

When the pads wore out, I replaced pads and rotors because I didn't trust rotors once they were turned; one of them had gotten uneven in 50,000 since being turned.

When I did the replacement I lubed the slides on the rear calipers. IS there something else I need to check to see if that's why the right rear may be causing slight warping in the rotor? The rotors were US made and were moderate price from a local autoparts store, not a box store.

Suggestions? Turn the rotors? Replace the rotors? The pads are GM ceramic pads.

Last edited:

leftoverture

Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited
Well, congratulations on finding US made rotors because they are rare these days. You say you lubed the slides, did you clean them up first? Sometimes they get a build up or some corrosion and no amount of lube will work. What lube did you use? Despite the claims of others, I have found good old white lithium grease still works best. If all that checks out, then you need to check your calipers next. They can get corrosion in the pistons/cylinders causing uneven braking pressure.

Buffman

Tire Smoking Fury
MI
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
more than likely the cause is a lack of good bed in on the rotors and it's causing uneven pad build up on the rotors.

glterpening

KY
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre
more than likely the cause is a lack of good bed in on the rotors and it's causing uneven pad build up on the rotors.

Never ran into this before. What causes it...bad surface to begin with or bad "break-in" or ?. So, is the fix to re-surface the rotors? Will the pads be OK? :confused:

imidazol97

Top Dog

Can you tell us more about the uneven pad built up and what's meant by "good bed in"?

Last edited:

glterpening

KY
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre

Very interesting! Thanks! It's a wonder that any vehicles ever have properly functioning brakes. I know that very few of mine ever did!!! And my 2002 LeSabre is no exception. But when I do the next brake job I will keep this in mind.

One thing stands out...at my first front brake service I switched to ceramic pads and did not re-surface the rotors. Those pads were gone in 17000 mi. and never worked right. Maybe the old material needed to be removed from the rotors? BTW, the next set, ceramic also, along with re-surfaced rotors are not much better!

Gerald :)

imidazol97

Top Dog
Very interesting! Thanks! It's a wonder that any vehicles ever have properly functioning brakes. I know that very few of mine ever did!!! And my 2002 LeSabre is no exception. But when I do the next brake job I will keep this in mind.

One thing stands out...at my first front brake service I switched to ceramic pads and did not re-surface the rotors. Those pads were gone in 17000 mi. and never worked right. Maybe the old material needed to be removed from the rotors? BTW, the next set, ceramic also, along with re-surfaced rotors are not much better!

I used ceramic AC Delco pads to replace originals and kept original front rotors and haven't had a bit of trouble with them.

The rear rotor showed what the parts counter guy called heat cracks. He replaced it under warranty although the warranty time was long gone. The ceramic pads for rears were on new rotors.

I'm going to check the other rotor to see what it looks like.

I did break in the brakes by several hard stops with little time to cool in between like had been recommended in another article similar to the one posted earlier.

leftoverture

Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited

Sounds like your calipers are not fully releasing. You should not be wearing them out that fast.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!