• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Broken Rear Lug Stud...

bluvous

Buick Newbie
I got a flat fixed by a tire shop and they broke a lug stud when taking off the rear wheel. Is it difficult to replace. I figure I'll have to take off the wheel, disc, and hub, tap the stud out and bang a new one back in. That is, if it doesn't screw out. Anyone been through this before?:sad:

Taco

Stud Replacement

The wheel stud is easy to replace. Simply knock out the head of the broken stud and leave the hub in place. Feed in a new stud and use a number of flat washers as a spacer on the face of hub then use a wheel nut to pull the stud into place.

thejmfc

Jenison, MI
While it's not that hard... the tire shop should have replaced it or paid someone else to replace it. They broke it. It's their fault that it's broken. They should replace it.

I had a tire place snap one of mine off, and they sent me to a place that they have an account at, and it was replace for free within 1/2 hour.

ezdriver

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have one broken stud on left front wheel but I cannot prove that it was done by my tire shop when i recently put new tires on my RM. I noticed the broken stud only when I had to remove the wheel to reach the rear plug as I was changing the plugs and wires. Now three different places want at least $50 to replace the lug. Sucks. I am going to try and replace it myself tomorrow because I leave on Friday for an 1100 mile trip [Florida to Connecticut].

G-887573

I got a flat fixed by a tire shop and they broke a lug stud when taking off the rear wheel. Is it difficult to replace. I figure I'll have to take off the wheel, disc, and hub, tap the stud out and bang a new one back in. That is, if it doesn't screw out. Anyone been through this before?:sad:
U can't pull it tru .hubs Cumming off

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2004 GMC Envoy XUV, 2001 Pontiac Aztek
And since these trucks are known for eating hubs, I would wager a replacement is going to be easier, and better in the long run.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I may be going out on a limb here but the OP may have resolved the problem over the last 16 years.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!