Broken Rear Spring

bruker

Today I replaced the rear shocks on my `02 Rendezvous and it was a piece of cake. Unfortunately I noticed the left rear coil spring is broken near the top. Has anyone else ever had this problem and is it a DIY fix?

angelvous

Buick Newbie
Ohio
Buick Rendezvous
I just found out both rear coil springs are broken on my '02. Have you had yours fixed yet and if so about how much did it cost you (cost of springs/ cost of labor)? I've been checking around and have been told it's a dealer part only and the labor just seems way to high.

rsward

Buick Newbie
Buick
I also have found both of my rear springs broken, I am living with it for now, but found out that they are Dealer parts only! you can rent/borrow a tool for changing the springs. There is a place called Advance Auto, a chain store I am sure, that offered to "loan" the tool out with a $50 deposit which they give back to you when you return the tool in good condition. It is a simple spring compression tool that you clamp on either side of the spring (Vehicle raised on jack stands with rear suspension hanging down) then tighten it with a wrench to compress and remove the broken spring, use the tool to compress the new spring and put it in place, then back off the tool. Not hard to do. But, the springs will cost you a couple of hundred dollars for a set of 2 from the dealership. If you are replacing 1, you might as well replace them both, on further inspection, you may find the other one is cracked as well. My Rendy has 155000 on it so far.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!