Buick’s Luxury Behemoth, the Electra, Is Coming Back as a 583 HP EV

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now

buick-electra.jpg

GM's Ultium battery tech will allow the futuristic EV to go 404 miles on a single charge​

Buick knows it has an image problem. When most people think of the brand, their first thought tends to be of the hulking boat-like cars their grandparents drove. But the marque hopes its new concept will go a long way towards changing that.

On Monday, SAIC General Motors, which manufactures and sells Buicks in China, announced the resurrection of one of the brand’s oldest nameplates, the Electra. No, the company isn’t bringing back the full-sized luxury cars of yesteryear; instead, it’s using the name for a sleek, fully electric prototype designed to presage its future. Read more...

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Absolutely love the name.

Not sure what this is.
A lifted sedan with giant wheels? Feels like it's a monster truck but without the purpose.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Wow...I can't say there is much I like about that. Trying to find something positive, so I will say that that seat design looks like it would be easy to find that french fry that fell down the crack.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Interesting, I wonder if they will have a 225 model or maybe it's to hard to pronounce and just call it a Deuce and a Quarter LOL

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
As with most of the concept cars GM has released over the past several years, the only part of this car likely to make it into production will be the lug nuts, and maybe another shade of their color of the month. I just don’t ever expect this to show up at an intersection near me. Not that I’d want it to; it’s a slap in the face to the Electra name.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I'm glad to see GM getting into the EV game although I thought the Caddy ELR was was a great effort. I've read good things about the Bolt but this thing is...I don't know what. It ain't pretty that's for sure. Its almost like the designers are afraid to make a car.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
I'm just a little surprised to see this under the 'Current Buick Vehicle Discussion' heading--I mean, it is a concept isn't it?

(Yes, I understand that any electric vehicle would be by default a current vehicle--but I don't think that's the point.);)

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
Buick has the distinction of presenting the very first concept car...Harley Earl's "Y-Job"
YJob.jpg
They have produced some seriously beautiful cars over the years and I agree with a previous post that the Avista concept would be a great style for a new EV Electra. The name itself goes well with the EV direction but one of my faves has always been the Riviera.
Riv.jpg
This concept was shown in 2013 I believe and was a stunner! But if you think about it, they could give it the "TourX treatment" of lower body cladding, fatter tires and suspension lift to make it more "real-world" and still look great. I understand some people like the higher riding position, higher door access and better ground clearance if you live in harsh climate zones, but the picture in the OP looks like a Hummer love child gone bad.

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Well, whatever it is, it's a damned sight more interesting than the bland tinkertoy crossovers which Buick has sadly decided is its future in the US, the type of vehicle that likely makes you wish you's bought something more inspired in that class, like a Hyundai Kona or whatever.

Last edited:

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
Yeah, that car is too 'out there' to even have a ghost of a chance at rolling off an assembly line. That said, the Electra name is perfect for a battery EV and I hope they follow up on at least that part of the idea.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I can handle most of that except the wood. I know it was a thing at one time but I honestly believe its part of the reason people in this country hate wagons so badly. I never cared for wood sides and I hated the way automakers slapped the vinyl on everything with a long boot that came down the pike. Part of the reason I loved the Magnum so much...not a sliver of fake wood in sight! Nice photochop tho! :cool:

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
I can handle most of that except the wood. I know it was a thing at one time but I honestly believe its part of the reason people in this country hate wagons so badly. I never cared for wood sides and I hated the way automakers slapped the vinyl on everything with a long boot that came down the pike. Part of the reason I loved the Magnum so much...not a sliver of fake wood in sight! Nice photochop tho! :cool:
I wholeheartedly agree about the fake wood. It's hideous and makes the car look dated. Newsflash: the '80s have been over for a long time and we don't want them back. When the last iteration of the Olds Custom Cruiser wagon came out in the early '90s, my dad, who had just retired as a district sales manager for Oldsmobile, was appalled that woodgrain wasn't offered on those cars. That said, there were a few early '90s Custom Cruisers with woodgrain around town because the local Olds dealer would order the woodgrain kits for the Buick Roadmaster wagons that shared the CC's body shell to retrofit them as an unsanctioned dealer option. That said, it does point up something I've been thinking about lately. The sweepspear body styling lends itself very nicely to two-tone paint jobs. wonder why Buick hasn't offered them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Wood vinyl stickers can be taken off ugly can't, 2 or 3 tones paint jobs would have to be one offs, robots have problems with putting on masking tape as it sticks to their fingers LOL. Bad news but woody's will never go away as soon as the idea seems to be dead some youngsters in design and marketing will say "let's do a woody as no one is doing them" and the circle of life begins, again.
ca0816-244454_2@2x.jpg s-l225.jpg b8781d1369a43106ae5aac0f0f8837b0.jpg

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
There have been a few cases where the woody style worked. The Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country with its faux ash trim around vinyl walnut panels was a novel approach. I was actually amazed how few of the PT Cruisers got the woody treatment. We had a 90s Olds Cutlass wagon with way too much chrome trim ans faux wood but it was cheap and served the purpose for a while. I didnt shed any tears when it left our driveway.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!