Buick 350 Cylinder heads

Skylark350

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
69 Skylark Custom
I've bought some remanufactured cylinder heads that have some differences from the originals. The originals have this pocket that leads to nowhere, but the others have two holes in the same area that would have coolant flow through. On the new head gaskets that area is blank and that part of the head floats over the push rod valley. So it would be bad for coolant to flow in that area of course. So my question is how do I fix this?
Buick Cylinder head.jpg
New Buick Cylinder Head.jpg
One idea was if I could have those holes welded shut or use JB Weld. If I had them welded they would have to be resurfaced again.

Skylark350

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
69 Skylark Custom

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Last edited:

Skylark350

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
69 Skylark Custom
There are casting differences in later heads that will result in a coolant leak if used on earlier blocks. This is a problem with the 455 as well but can usually be remedied by using the correct gasket, or blocking the extra holes.

The small block guys over at V8buick.com are a lot more familiar with this than I am.

Any issues with a 73 head on a 72 block? I have coolant leaking to the crankcase.

350 Head Gasket

New 350- Coolant in oil!!!

closing water passages
I'm gonna go with the closing water passages. That's my best most affordable option here. Quickest.

Skylark350

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
69 Skylark Custom
Thank you for the info, ideas, help, This is my first time rebuilding and engine like this. It's been a big learning experience.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners