Buick Encore oil change

jdogjen

Encore sport
Hello I have a 2016 encore and was wondering for a oil change when does the information center on the dash let you know it is time. I am currently at 10% oil life remaining. Should I just go and get it done?

Steveyo

2019 Buick Encore
Hello I have a 2016 encore and was wondering for a oil change when does the information center on the dash let you know it is time. I am currently at 10% oil life remaining. Should I just go and get it done?
My 2019 owner's manual doesn't say when (at what %) the DIC tells one to change the oil. But I would agree to change it at 10%.

"When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON DIC message displays, have the engine oil and filter changed within the next 1 000 km/600 mi." ---owner's manual

Robert1955

2016 Regal Turbo
At 10% I would go ahead and get it done since you probably have no idea what oil was used. I plan to send out a sample for testing when I change mine to see whats really left in the oil vs what the OLM says since its really only a time/cycle based process.

oldhusband

I just bought a 2019 Encore Sport Touring. It had 50 miles on it when I bought it. It arrived in the port of Newark in July 2018. The factory fill of engine oil has been in it for around two years now.

My question is... since condensation occurs, should I have the dealer change the oil just to be safe. I am concerned there is excess moisture in the crankcase from sitting that long with that small amount of operation (50 miles).

oldhusband

dealer agreed . changed oil and filter no charge. Plus, I still get the one free change when it is due next time.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on this guys.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
When I had my Corvette and used Amzoil I would send a sample to get tested every year. I would put maybe a thousand kilometers on that car every summer. It took 7 years for the test results to come back as probably time to change but oil still good for a FORD. So synthetic oil doesn't degrade that fast in the oil pan especially garaged kept. My Encore is on it's third year and 2800 kilometers and I'm not going to waste money on an unnecessary Mobil1 oil change. I will change the filter at 5-6000 Kms and keep going.

ThatsNotABuick!

2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
When I had my Corvette and used Amzoil I would send a sample to get tested every year. I would put maybe a thousand kilometers on that car every summer. It took 7 years for the test results to come back as probably time to change but oil still good for a FORD. So synthetic oil doesn't degrade that fast in the oil pan especially garaged kept. My Encore is on it's third year and 2800 kilometers and I'm not going to waste money on an unnecessary Mobil1 oil change. I will change the filter at 5-6000 Kms and keep going.
The oil analysis does not account for all the properties of oil that can degrade parts. An example of this is for some of the Ecotec engines. Longer oil interval have a much higher percentage of premature timing components failure compared to conservative oil change intervals. For most analysis reports I have seen, the viscosity values are lower than the normal range.
Once the oil has been exposed to moisture, acids, etc. the properties start to degrade. An analogy to this is some of those ultra-pasteurized milks that do not require refrigeration and can last a long time without opening them. Once you open them, the countdown begins. Of course for oil, it is not that dramatic, but it still happens.

Robert1955

2016 Regal Turbo
An Oil analysis should tell you everything about the condition of your oil and how your engine is doing from a wear perspective. I have includded a sample report and at the bottom is a listing of what the different elements come from.

This sample is from a 98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT 5.4 with 11,000 miles on the oil.

"The metals highlighted in the spectral examination are all high, though considering this is still a new engine, nothing is high enough to show a problem. Silicon is high in the spectral examination due to sealers and sand-casted parts. Wear is high due to break-in. No fuel dilution was present. Insolubles (oil oxiadation) were close to the limits at 0.7% showing that the oil has seen some use. Wear and silicon should both improve as this engine gets more miles on it."

1st column = ELEMENTS
2nd = UNIT/LOCATION AVERAGES (my wear)
3rd = UNIVERSAL AVERAGES (average wear of all samples analyzed for that particular type of equipment)

ALUMINUM 8 4
CHROMIUM 3 1
IRON 36 41
COPPER 24 24
LEAD 24 18
TIN 2 1
MOLYBDENUM 4 5
NICKEL 7 1
MANGANESE 3 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
VANADIUM 0 0
BORON 13 49
SILICON 109 28
SODIUM 14 18
CALCIUM 2692 1396
MAGNESIUM 319 630
PHOSPHORUS 1013 905
ZINC 1503 1093
BARIUM 1 0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210F
--------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: 59-72
TEST VALUES: 65.4

FLASHPOINT IN F
-------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: greater than 375
TEST VALUES: 420

FUEL %
-------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: less than 2.0
TEST VALUES: <0.5

ANTIFREEZE %
-------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: 0
TEST VALUES: 0

WATER %
-------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: less than 0.05
TEST VALUES: 0.0

INSOLUBLES %
-------------------
VALUES SHOULD BE: less than 0.9
TEST VALUES: 0.7

ELEMENTS: Elements are quantified in the oil ar part per million (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of elements in a gasoline or deisel engine oil.

ALUMINUM: Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks)

CHROMIUM: Rings, a trace element in steel.

IRON: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.

COPPER: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.

LEAD: Bearings.

TIN: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings

MOLYBDENUM: Anti-wear additive, some types of rings

NICKEL: Trace element in steel.

MANGANESE: Trace element, additive in gasoline.

SILVER: Trace element

TITANIUM: Trace element

VANADIUM: Trace element

BORON: Detergent/dispursant additive, anti-freeze inhibitors

SILICON: Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, inti-freeze inhibitors

SODIUM: Anti-freeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils

CALCIUM: Detergent/dispursant additive

MAGNESIUM: Detergent/dispursant additive

PHOSPHORUS: Anti-wear additive

ZINC: Anti-wear additive

BARIUM: Detergent/dispursant additive

ThatsNotABuick!

Amzoil has different criteria than Blackstone. For Blackstone they use SUS Viscosity@210C range should be 69-80. Also they include cSt Viscosity@100C.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
The oil analysis does not account for all the properties of oil that can degrade parts. An example of this is for some of the Ecotec engines. Longer oil interval have a much higher percentage of premature timing components failure compared to conservative oil change intervals.
My personal experience with 5 previous Ecotec is that they like their oil at the full mark. Whenever it was down a notch I would top it off. Otherwise the timing chain would starve, heat-up and stretch. I don't think oil degradation was necessarily the cause.

ThatsNotABuick!

My personal experience with 5 previous Ecotec is that they like their oil at the full mark. Whenever it was down a notch I would top it off. Otherwise the timing chain would starve, heat-up and stretch. I don't think oil degradation was necessarily the cause.
That might be an issue with the 2.4 Ecotecs, but the 2.0 Ecotecs typically do not use any or very little oil between 5K interval oil changes.

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring
My 2.4, 166k, in my HHR has a small leak and has had it for a few years. The 2.2 and 2.4 have a split block design and it is not unheard of to develop a leak along the split, near the starter. That's where mine is just above the starter and above the oil sending unit. Mine only leaks a drop here and there. Never enough to show low oil on the stick. I've heard of a few where they end up leaking a lot.

Turbo Buick Badge