• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Buick HID headlight ballasts needed

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
I picked up a pair of the upgraded projector headlights for my regal and need to buy a pair of factory ballasts to hook them up. General motors part number 13278005. Anyone out there have any connections at the dealership? The best I can get them for so far is $180.00. Any help is appreciated.

richmusch

Buick Ownership
Buick
Ballasts aren't cheap and I don't think you are going to get anything better from a dealership. Have you tried eBay?

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
Ballasts aren't cheap and I don't think you are going to get anything better from a dealership. Have you tried eBay?
Yes...i have been searching like a madman :blink: Ebay has nothing.

After doing a bit more research, I found out that they are Hella Ballasts and cross reference to part# 5DV-009-610-00

Have searched and only found 1 site that can offer these using this part#. I emailed them and i can get them for $135.00 each shipped. $270.00 total.

I will probably end up doing that since it seems to be the least expensive.

If anyone else has a suggestion...please let me know.

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
No no no...spend my money....save it for what? Anyways...this is what I have into the upgrade.

HID light housings new on eBay - $425 shipped
Ballasts - $270 pair
D1s HID bulbs - $40 pair

So...I got the $1400 HID option for half price...not bad.

They also have the led option on the corners :thumpsup:

If anyone else is interested, these lights are plug and play.

Buffman

Tire Smoking Fury
MI
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster

Simply in terms of lumen output, consumers reports opinions are just that, opinions.. The halogen regal headlights use H11 lows and H7 highs. H11's put out 1250 lumens. OEM HID's put out 3200 lumens. 2000 Lumens more than the halogens. If All four lights stay on for high beam on the halogen counterpart you're looking at 2600 lumens. Still less than the HID counterpart. For pure lumen output, HIDs win. There are other arguments for and against HIDs, but that's another discussion. I might agree the HID option is expensive, but if you do any night driving at all, those extra lumens make a difference. Hence the correction they make in the blog..

skooter65

Buick Newbie
Stonington, CT
Buick Ownership
Buick
No no no...spend my money....save it for what? Anyways...this is what I have into the upgrade.

HID light housings new on eBay - $425 shipped
Ballasts - $270 pair
D1s HID bulbs - $40 pair

So...I got the $1400 HID option for half price...not bad.

They also have the led option on the corners :thumpsup:

If anyone else is interested, these lights are plug and play.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for where you found the housings...would you??:)

Th low-beam output on the standard halogen is ridiculous; if not dangerous.

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
I bought the housings on ebay from a guy who replaced his with Opel housings. He literally drove the car home from the lot and took them off. Keep checking ebay...a pair are bound to show up again.

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
So...I got everything I need to perform the factory HID upgrade. Unplugged the old headlight and plugged in the new one. Turned on the headlights and everything worked except the headlight :sad:

After a little digging, I had to add a ground to pin 10 on the headlights. Easy.

With the car off, turned on the headlights and everything worked great. Started the car and the headlights immediately start flickering like a strobe light. :sad:

Looks like the car is programmed to halogen headlights and isn't outputting the proper voltage to run HID.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I'm heading to the dealer this week to see if the service dept can reflash the BCM. Fingers crossed.

I have to eat my words that this upgrade is plug and play.

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
I did give the relay option a thought. Might need some help wiring it in.

***update***

Stopped by the dealer today and spoke with the service manager. He was very nice and understood exactly what I needed. Took my phone number and called me back after two hours. He stated the Buick tech line advised him not to reflash the BCM. It could effect other parts of the car. I asked him if we could just give it a shot and try it...he said no.

Looks like I will have to try the relay option...just ordered it up...let's see what happens.

Anyone have any experience installing the relay?

Last edited: