Buick Image Issue...

Denmano

Buick Newbie
Buick
Hello everyone! I'm new here today and very seriously considering buying a used 2013 Encore Leather edition. However, I knew others wouldn't understand since I've always driven VW or Japanese cars in the past. Tonight at dinner I mentioned it to two friends and they just started laughing! I told them it is a German engineered car that is made in Korea that just happens to have a Buick badge on it. They still don't get it, and I know they are ignorant about the whole thing, but I don't really want to have to defend Buick when I'm driving one! I'm 52 and single and they really didn't think it would be good for my "love life" either! LOL

So, tell me how you deal with the "Buick IS your Dad's or Grandpa's car" image issue. Based on recent Buick ads, I know they are trying to counter this perception, but frankly, I don't like the word "Buick" all that much myself. If it came here as an Opel, I'd have no issue. It's just amazing how powerful an image can be and how it prevents people from buying something even though it's a great product. Your advice would be most welcome! Thanks in advance...:sad:

R&L's Encore

Buick AWD Encore
Seriously, at age 52 you really should be able to think for yourself and not worry about defending your choices or what other people think. People that define themselves by the car they drive really have much bigger issues. If you like the Encore, get one, it's a great little vehicle.

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
2014 Buick Encore
For gawd sake...don't buy a Buick. Just look at the friends you run with....that'll never be acceptable..and you know it. So get that nose up in the air and don't settle for less than a Beemer...no matter what. At age 52 look at how far you have come. How could you turn back into inferior classlessness now? ..And for craps sakes..get a convertable to entertain the Ladies(preferably a roll back hardtop two seater). Plus..don't forget to tie those sweater sleeves around your neck and keep a tennis racket handy. Just think..even though you are on an Encore forum..we may have just saved your much deserved standing in life. You're welcome.
IceMan2

Denmano

Buick Newbie
Buick
LOL. You guys are hysterical! Thank you for helping me laugh at the whole issue. It really is outrageous, isn't it?
I'll just look at it like being a trendsetter and get the Encore. I've never been much of a conformist anyway! I also think Buick has some more things up it sleeves that will even wake up some "kids" in their 20s. There's some talk that they might be bringing over the Opel Adam mini car under the Buick badge that puts much of the competition to shame!

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
2014 Buick Encore
LOL. You guys are hysterical! Thank you for helping me laugh at the whole issue. It really is outrageous, isn't it?
I'll just look at it like being a trendsetter and get the Encore. I've never been much of a conformist anyway! I also think Buick has some more things up it sleeves that will even wake up some "kids" in their 20s. There's some talk that they might be bringing over the Opel Adam mini car under the Buick badge that puts much of the competition to shame!
Well the Opel Adam is certainly a kiddy car compared to the Encore. Yet I can't see Buick interested in going for that much cheesy flash when the Buick brand is still more in concert with well appointed comfort amenities and less of a toy car design even in the Encore's smaller package. However maybe Ford will pick up the Adam and rename it the 'ReFocus' and they'll sell like hotcakes....!!
IceMan2

robones

Buick
Image problem? this is only a problem for the insecure. Just pick a car that fulfills are your needs irrespective of the badge. At age 52, your a grandpa and shouldn't care what people think of you. I was 31 when I bought my first Buick - brand new 2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring fully loaded. I don't need to defend my car or its image because I know that I driving a beautiful. I actually chuckle at people driving CLAs, C classes, Audi 4s, IS, ES because for the same price, I am driving a MUCH MUCH bigger car with much much much more options :) who's the smarter one?

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
2014 Buick Encore
The key is to test drive and compare. Buy to suit your needs and desires. Image can be a part of it..but when that overwhelms anything & everything else then you've thrown any reason out for something that is imagined well beyond the fineries of the car. Such as fashion compared to style. My Wife loved the style and design of the Encore(as did I). We checked reviews..ratings..and test drove other brands..although the Encore is really in a class of it's own(right now). For what it offers..it is a nice choice.
For myself..I traded a Buick Regal Turbo for a 2015 Chevy Impala. Why?..Because after test driving the La Crosse..Cadillac ATS & CTS..Mercedes CLA..Infiniti..Lexus and others the newly designed Impala offer a much better all around package compared to others for me..personally. Image..? Well it's a Cheby..still kinda 'working class'..but Man it is sure new and improved and now can hold it's own with the big boys. Another plus is the service & maintenance doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I'm happy..!!

20140901_130248_zpsde8e18ed.jpg
Click for bigger pic

Last edited:

Denmano

Buick Newbie
Buick
Thanks everyone for your honest replies! I've learned a lot from what you've had to share and will make an offer on the Encore tomorrow and see what happens! Wish me luck. :eek:

Lynnster

Buick
I've been following this Encore forum for a couple of months & gained so much info.
It's news to me that the Encore is German engineered…I did know it's made in Korea.
I'm 62 & have never cared why my "friends" think of my cars etc. I grew up with a mother who was all about designer labels & I HATED that so much, so I think this is why I broke out of that mold.
I bought a 2005 Suzuki Aerio AWD sedan new in 2006 & many have made fun of it. It has the Japan-thing going for it, but it's been called many names; the most blatant was "Clown Car" by one of my hubby's softball teammates. His mates also teased him for "making" me drive the crappy (clown)car while he drives our 2009 Infiniti G37X. He tells them that I prefer the "clown car". And boy do I….I'm in love with it, which is very weird, but it's the truth! I hate that it has 80K miles & I can't get parts (it hasn't been made since 2007 so I can't replace it)
So that brings me to offering some advice: I looked far & wide to find a suitable replacement for my little clown car but found nothing until I saw an AWD-badged Encore on the road a few months ago. I followed the owner & accosted him at a red light & learned how much he loves it! Then I saw another one & found a dealer. I've tested it & have a few minor complaints, but I think I've found my next car!
I must have AWD, a taller profile (like my Aerio) & I want to stay smaller. I was also thrilled to see that I can get a totally teched-out NEW (clown-type) car in the Encore Premium AWD. It's all that I've been looking for & then some...
I'm in no rush so stalking this forum but it'll be an Encore...
GET THE ENCORE & feel the power from being a non-conformist!! I laugh when I drive thru my town as it's full of beemers, Mercedes, Audi's & the (super rich) wives all drive trucks (big SUV's). I long ago said I'd never fall for driving a truck to conform to this wealthy society! (and they drive over the curb when turning corners & can barely see over the steering wheel. Makes me laugh every time as they are so classless imo..)
best,
lynn in CT

Last edited:

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
2014 Buick Encore
Strange...never heard anyone describe an Encore as a clown car..or clown type car. Seems a little too sleek for that from my perspective.
It is also nice to be able to afford practically any car one could want. However the status thing can become a little obnoxious for sure.
Reminds me of a friend who built a $600,000+ waterfront home in an exclusive addition on a big reservoir here in Indiana about 20 years ago. He invited my wife and I over and took us on tour of their new home resulting in a cookout on the 50' deck. Four sliding glass doors opened onto the deck and were just installed with full blinds. I complimented him on the blinds and stated that we just put some up on our slider and also found blinds for our French doors at Lowes..both on sale! Immediately he informed my Wife and I that they certainly didn't buy their blinds at one of those places..but from an elite interior designer in Indianapolis. My Wife and I looked at each other..and I swear..couldn't tell any difference in the designer blinds and the ones from Lowes..but somehow..surely there was.....
IceMan2

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
It is sold in europe as a Mokka. You can find parts for it, not available in the US, on their forum. I have no image issue, I like Buicks. My Dad drove Buicks most of his life.

Denmano

Buick Newbie
Buick
Well, I've committed to buying the Encore and will be off to North Carolina to pick it up this week!
I'm looking forward to once again being a non-conformist. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your wisdom and support!

longislander

LI, NY
'15 Encore Premium FWD White Pearl/Saddle (wife's car)
Well, I've committed to buying the Encore and will be off to North Carolina to pick it up this week!
I'm looking forward to once again being a non-conformist. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your wisdom and support!
Great, congrats! What color inside/out, and which wheels?

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
In complete honesty, if 5 years ago someone told me I would be buying a Buick as my next car, I would have said (s)he was smoking crack.
Historically, I have leaned towards Fords and Mazdas, with Pontiac being the GM marque in closest alignment with me. Buicks tended to be comfortable, well appointed cars that were honestly a bit dowdy for a sport sedan enthusiast who is more into corners than drag strips. However, just like the people who refuse to buy an American car because of a bad experience with a 1979 Granada, it is stupid to base impressions and even worse buying decisions without looking at the best and most current evidence... and with Buick, that evidence shows a radically changed marque from placement in the marketplace to the styling, feel, content, and experience of the vehicles themselves... and a mid-size, moderately priced (pushing it a bit) sports sedan with a manual transmission sealed the deal for me.

Get what you enjoy. Get what speaks to you (and not in the annoying way of those 80's Chryslers!) In the end, it's your money, and if you feel that a car must impress someone other than yourself (with some exceptions for professional use), then the problem is on you and not on the car.

R&L's Encore

Buick AWD Encore
Well good for you!!!!!!!

And if your friends can't deal with............. get new friends.

Post some pics when you get it.

sddale2001

Buick
Buick was not even on my radar when looking for a car. I just happened to stumble into a Buick dealership because it was a few steps away from a Mazda dealer. I was impressed with the car so I checked out the reviews and they were all good. I hope I stay impressed with it over the next few years.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I don't think you should ever buy Buick, if brand's image is important to you. Go with real luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW or Lexus, if you need an image. Of course you need to pay for that image.
But I never considered the image as a factor for myself. Brand's reputation is more important on my opinion. I can tell you I did have a neutral opinion about Buick before. I purchased 2014 Encore because at that time I thought it would be a wise choice given how comfortable the car is, how nice it drives and low maintenance cost in combination with many nice luxury features. That was clearly a mistake, as it has 6K miles only and it has been with the dealer at least 5 times. And I'm still not happy at all to drive it every day, due to the current transmission issues. Eventually I will most likely get rid of it, loosing lots of money on trade-in. This is all because I did not pay attention to the brand's reputation which is indeed very low due to all past GM and Buick problems and recalls. It is true that Encore statistically may be more reliable than other Buick models. But statistics does not matter, if there is a real chance you get a lemon and will suffer.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!