Buick Image Issue...

Lynnster

Buick
Strange...never heard anyone describe an Encore as a clown car..or clown type car. Seems a little too sleek for that from my perspective….
IceMan2
Iceman - I was being sarcastic about the Encore. My Suzuki Aerio is the "clown car". I only called the Encore the same as I love the small size & tall height as it replicates the easy in/out of my Aerio sedan. (the Encore is 10" shorter than my little Aerio but it looks so much bigger!) I agree the Encore is sleek-looking but some reviewer websites have mocked it (but no "clown" references)!

R&L's Encore

Buick AWD Encore
I don't think you should ever buy Buick, if brand's image is important to you. Go with real luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW or Lexus, if you need an image. Of course you need to pay for that image.
But I never considered the image as a factor for myself. Brand's reputation is more important on my opinion. I can tell you I did have a neutral opinion about Buick before. I purchased 2014 Encore because at that time I thought it would be a wise choice given how comfortable the car is, how nice it drives and low maintenance cost in combination with many nice luxury features. That was clearly a mistake, as it has 6K miles only and it has been with the dealer at least 5 times. And I'm still not happy at all to drive it every day, due to the current transmission issues. Eventually I will most likely get rid of it, loosing lots of money on trade-in. This is all because I did not pay attention to the brand's reputation which is indeed very low due to all past GM and Buick problems and recalls. It is true that Encore statistically may be more reliable than other Buick models. But statistics does not matter, if there is a real chance you get a lemon and will suffer.
Unfortunately lemons exist among all brands. And in case you never noticed, dealerships of all brands have service departments full of vehicles being repaired.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Unfortunately lemons exist among all brands. And in case you never noticed, dealerships of all brands have service departments full of vehicles being repaired.
That's true. But I used to have Honda Civic 99 and Pontiac Vibe 06, before buying this car. I did not have any problems with either cars. And having multiple issues with Buick Encore. The reputation for Honda and Toyota vs. GM is quite different (Vibe is mechanically a Matrix twin). There might be cases when Civic is falling apart right after purchase (though I did not hear about such cases), but I believe what I experienced is very well aligned with brand's reputation.

Denmano

Buick Newbie
Buick
Great, congrats! What color inside/out, and which wheels?
The car is the white color with the gray "Titanium" leather interior. The wheels are the standard wheels. Do those wheels hold up well? They are listed as "painted" and I've never had painted alloy wheels before to my knowledge. Anyway, I'm having a touch of cold feet today. :confused: It has nothing to do with the Buick image anymore (thanks to all your help on this forum). But, I wonder whether depreciation is much bigger in a Buick than say, Honda. Have any of you had any experience with that? Also, in Denver, more than 3/4 of the new Encores sold here are AWD. I don't think I want AWD and have never needed it here, but the market may be smaller for a FWD version when it comes time to sell it outright. The dealer told me that if a car is sold with both FWD and AWD, a large majority will always go for the AWD in this market. I'm sure I'll love the car once I have it, but just being honest about what's spinning around in my head today! ;-)

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
Painted alloy wheels are widely used across brands, and as long as a little care is taken with tools such as lug wrenches and to avoid scraping on curbs, the finishes generally hold up very well. I have owned both OEM and aftermarket painted alloys with no problems outside of post purchase human error.

As far as resale, it is a measure of popularity rather than quality, and unfortunately it is true that Buicks in general depreciate more than a comparable Toyota and Honda. Living in Minnesota, I also agree that an SUV or crossover is going to be in greater demand with AWD. However, since you are buying an Encore that is 2 (model) years old, the selling price should already reflect the deeper depreciation and the less-popular FWD. The lower price you are paying today should be expected to more than offset a lower resale later as the first owner already took the most significant depreciation hit. Also, FWD is lighter and has less mechanical complexity, which should reduce your daily operating expenses.

When it comes to reliability and dependability, statistics DO matter. The statistics show that nearly every make and model of vehicle has a very high level of reliability and dependability. However, they also show that every make and model has a chance of getting a lemon. We had a Toyota that blew an engine at 60,000 miles. I'm sorry that you have experienced bad luck with your Asian-built Encore, but that is the reality, it is the bad luck to get a bad sample.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
My most memorable Buick image was us in the Encore passing the kid in his Lexus IS250 AWD just past the triple digits....I really like the image left on the kids face.:)

Joking aside watch what people through around as the word of depreciation. Someone was comparing a Nexus LX depreciation vs a GMC Yukon after 10 years. Searching KBB they both depreciated similarly from their original prices based on what was for sale a decade later.

Shop for what you want to have in features and narrow down the choices from there. A case in point is the girlfriend's Subaru Forester and my Encore are off lease next year within months. She loves the Encore and wants me to buy it and left her Forester go. I searched used for a better deal onEncores before we have to commit and one year old Encore prices are not far off my Encore 2-year lease deal. So we'll look again when the times comes but will also look for at other cuv's .kn the premium segment.

It is tough finding that beloved heated steering at this price point.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
I don't think you should ever buy Buick, if brand's image is important to you. Go with real luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW or Lexus, if you need an image. Of course you need to pay for that image.
But I never considered the image as a factor for myself. Brand's reputation is more important on my opinion. I can tell you I did have a neutral opinion about Buick before. I purchased 2014 Encore because at that time I thought it would be a wise choice given how comfortable the car is, how nice it drives and low maintenance cost in combination with many nice luxury features. That was clearly a mistake, as it has 6K miles only and it has been with the dealer at least 5 times. And I'm still not happy at all to drive it every day, due to the current transmission issues. Eventually I will most likely get rid of it, loosing lots of money on trade-in. This is all because I did not pay attention to the brand's reputation which is indeed very low due to all past GM and Buick problems and recalls. It is true that Encore statistically may be more reliable than other Buick models. But statistics does not matter, if there is a real chance you get a lemon and will suffer.
Good post, and this is the reason I stayed away from GM for so many years. Until now and the Encore.

I think you might have been one of the very few unfortunate that got stuck with a genuine lemon. I'd say pursue it with GM and push for a replacement car.

Every time I thought about the Encore being GM, I thought about another GM, foreign made, imported experiment of theirs, the Geo Prism. It was one of the most reliable cars GM ever made, as I hope the Encore to be also. Time will tell.

Shihchi80

Buick Newbie
Buick
Interesting comments about Encores and images of brands such as Toyota. Sorry to hear that the individual has had problems with his/her Encore. My experience is the opposite of commonly held opinions. I've owned two Toyotas, a 2000 Celica and a 2007 Prius. Both have been the most recalled vehicles I've ever owned. My 2013 Encore, however, is another story. It just turned over 14,000 miles, and I've not experienced a single problem. Knock on wood, the car has been absolutely perfect so far. I'm certainly not a GM defender or fan, as I owned GM lemons in the 1970s and 1990s. I simply seek a quality vehicle that performs well. I've found more of that in my Encore than in the two Toyotas I've owned.

CPatrice

Boston, MA
2014 Buick Encore Premium named "Java Joe"
Denmano,

I posted a thread about a week before you did, asking for advise about buying an Encore. It was in the soup of possibilities along with the RAV-4, Escape, Forrester, and Rogue. I was very hesitant to buy the Encore, because 1) I wanted more pickup, 2) Consumer's Reports wasn't in love with it (although Edmunds, JD Powers, USNews sure are), and 3) TBH...it felt funny even considering an American car. They had been considered "crappy" for so many years that I and my husband only owned Nissans, Toyota/Lexus, and a Mazda. I had to remind myself that times have changed.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the Encore out of my brain, even though I tried to focus on cheaper cars (it's like that guy/girl you have a huge crush on and just can't get over). My new Encore was delivered to me last Friday from two hours away, and it's definitely going to be a successful long term relationship. I've always loved small cars (I live in Boston where parking is a bitch), and the Encore is even a few inches shorter than my Mazda 3 hatchback. And yet, so spacious inside, and comfortable. It's like a nice hotel, where every detail has been thought of. I'm having a great time getting to know my Encore, and am very, very happy with my choice.

To me, buying a new car is a huge deal, because I keep cars for 10 years. It's like a marriage proposal. The Forrester had so many great features, but damn, the idea of driving that ugly thing every day made me want to cry. You have to buy a car for you, not for your goofy friends. Besides, once they ride in it, they will be forced to say, "cool wheels, man."

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Shihchi80, it is great that you did not have problems with Encore so far. And it is true no car is perfect, and Toyota Prius for example was a subject of famous recalls. But do not forget how many recalls GM recently issued for other models, way more than any other company. They may easy go bankrupt again if recalls continue with the same pace. I was not quite sure about the situation at GM before I bought Encore and got a personal experience working with dealership service departments. But now I definitely know there will be serious troubles ahead for GM if they do not change the way how they operate and how they treat their customers.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
I agree.

Most of the Asian car dealerships I went to always had a survey done either by phone or e-mail after my visit. Those guys went out of their way to make sure everything was all right because they knew their jobs might be on the line with too many bad reviews. Not so with GM. If you every have a problem like I did, you call some foreigner that barely speaks English to try to get your problem resolved.

On another note, I just learned the Chevy Trax, the Encore twin, will be made in Mexico and have a 1.8 liter engine available. I wonder if it'll suffer quality issues or be just as well made and put together as the Encore?

gralm

San Diego, CA
Buick Encore Base, Cocao Metallic
We were shopping for Encore at two Buick dealerships. At one it was all tricks and games, the other was quite straightforward (as far as we could tell). We also got a bit better price than we expected. After the purchase were made we got call from the dealership and e-mails from GM. Not much to complain.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
As regarding the purchase process, I believe GM dealers are similar to others: some are more friendly, others not so much, some willing to negotiate, some not. And dealership service typically works OK if you don't have any serious issues with your car: regular oil change and other maintenance should be smooth. However once you start having issues, especially those hard to duplicate, it become a challenge because GM is taking a hard stand for any warranty repair.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
Says here the Chevy Trax has the same engine as the Buick Encore....and not near as well appointed...

http://www.chevrolet.com/trax-small-suv.html

We received 2 questionaires from GM (1 by mail and 1 by email) after we purchased the Encore + the dealership called after a few weeks to see how we liked our new car.
IceMan2
Every other country sells the Trax as a 1.8 liter. Chevy doesn't have the full option list available yet as I think the launch in the US is Spring 2015.

In my new factory workshop manual I bought, it includes the 2014-2015 Trax, along with the Encore. In it was a built option code for the 1.8 and 1.4 liter on the US Trax. The build code for the US Encore only included the 1.4 liter code.

I don't really know for sure what GM will do. But,I know you can get the Mokka with a few different engines, including a diesel.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!