Buick LaCrosse – A Sense of Style

Thread starter #1

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now
The 2012 LaCrosse from Buick is an exceptional car. It isn’t just about performance either – the vehicle is simply artistic and comes with an elaborate design. While designing the Buick LaCrosse, the GM engineers had one thing in mind: Fuel efficiency without cutting down on power and/or performance. Their older Chevrolet Malibu hybrid and Saturn Aura green already have a mild hybrid system but with the LaCrosse they have certainly done a better job. The four-cylinder Buick LaCrosse is now a wonder of nature with its heightened fuel efficiency and invigorating performance. It’s definitely a better buy than the regular Buick LaCrosse (non-hybrid version) that came out last year.

Buick’s 2012 LaCrosse is going to lower your gas bills and fuel economy can rise by at least twenty percent. That is where the most amount of difference is: Buick’s 2012 LaCrosse offers better efficiency than the Lexus HS250h and Lincoln MKZ which are smaller vehicles as well. So if you’re looking for a car that helps the environment and helps you in the process, you’ll fall in love with the new LaCrosse. GM devised a new eAssist system and their task was to design cars that would give great performance without increasing the price of fuel.

The eAssist engineers have certainly accomplished their mission and outdone themselves: the new LaCrosse is living proof of that success and the immense efforts of the eAssist team from engineers from General Motors who were hell bent on meeting the goals laid out for them. They improved the car’s fuel efficiency without having to change the 2.4-liter four-cylinder the LaCrosse is known for. So the new and improved version of LaCrosse is known as the eAssist LaCrosse. eAssist can apply 15 hp and 79 lb-ft of torque to complement the engine’s 182 hp and 172 lb-ft.

The new feature is a belt-driven electric motor/generator hanging off the front which was not present in the previous model which comprised of an alternator instead. Regenerative braking is another valuable feature with a 0.2-second improvement in 0-to-60-mph times for the new models. The system can capture up to 15 kW of power during regeneration with a pedal that minimizes waste heat through binders. All these features in the new LaCrosse ensure an improvement over older Buick LaCrosse models.

eAssist LaCrosse also has an enhanced transmission which is the first General Motor’s next-generation six-speed automatic model. There is less friction loss and shift response is much more improved. There is electric assist and electric boost which improve performance. If you’re thinking of buying the LaCrosse there are plenty of premium entertainment and advanced technology options available. The cutting edge interiors and latest exterior signature design makes it a stylish car. The Buick LaCrosse offers exceptional handling, StabiliTrak, HiPer Strut Suspension and improved technology.

© 2011 Madison Ross Media Group

KingBuick

Washington, DC
Buick Ownership
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
The 2012 LaCrosse from Buick is an exceptional car. It isn’t just about performance either – the vehicle is simply artistic and comes with an elaborate design. While designing the Buick LaCrosse, the GM engineers had one thing in mind: Fuel efficiency without cutting down on power and/or performance. Their older Chevrolet Malibu hybrid and Saturn Aura green already have a mild hybrid system but with the LaCrosse they have certainly done a better job. The four-cylinder Buick LaCrosse is now a wonder of nature with its heightened fuel efficiency and invigorating performance. It’s definitely a better buy than the regular Buick LaCrosse (non-hybrid version) that came out last year.

Buick’s 2012 LaCrosse is going to lower your gas bills and fuel economy can rise by at least twenty percent. That is where the most amount of difference is: Buick’s 2012 LaCrosse offers better efficiency than the Lexus HS250h and Lincoln MKZ which are smaller vehicles as well. So if you’re looking for a car that helps the environment and helps you in the process, you’ll fall in love with the new LaCrosse. GM devised a new eAssist system and their task was to design cars that would give great performance without increasing the price of fuel.

The eAssist engineers have certainly accomplished their mission and outdone themselves: the new LaCrosse is living proof of that success and the immense efforts of the eAssist team from engineers from General Motors who were hell bent on meeting the goals laid out for them. They improved the car’s fuel efficiency without having to change the 2.4-liter four-cylinder the LaCrosse is known for. So the new and improved version of LaCrosse is known as the eAssist LaCrosse. eAssist can apply 15 hp and 79 lb-ft of torque to complement the engine’s 182 hp and 172 lb-ft.

The new feature is a belt-driven electric motor/generator hanging off the front which was not present in the previous model which comprised of an alternator instead. Regenerative braking is another valuable feature with a 0.2-second improvement in 0-to-60-mph times for the new models. The system can capture up to 15 kW of power during regeneration with a pedal that minimizes waste heat through binders. All these features in the new LaCrosse ensure an improvement over older Buick LaCrosse models.

eAssist LaCrosse also has an enhanced transmission which is the first General Motor’s next-generation six-speed automatic model. There is less friction loss and shift response is much more improved. There is electric assist and electric boost which improve performance. If you’re thinking of buying the LaCrosse there are plenty of premium entertainment and advanced technology options available. The cutting edge interiors and latest exterior signature design makes it a stylish car. The Buick LaCrosse offers exceptional handling, StabiliTrak, HiPer Strut Suspension and improved technology.

© 2011 Madison Ross Media Group
Thanks so much for writing this up Sal. It's great to see a full description of the new LaCrosse. Did you do this in partnership with GM or something? Or did you just write it up yourself?

KingBuick.

Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Premium 1 AWD
My 2012 LaCrosse awd is a very nice place to spend time. I bought my first car in 1968 and this is the best yet and I've owned a lot of cars.

Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Premium 1 AWD
It has been over a year now and the Buick has totally exceeded my expectations. I've been driving it more -- seems like I find all sorts of reasons to go on errands. MPG has stayed around 20-22 all around which is great for this sized ride. Smooth and very quiet -- seats are great and for long trips it has been spectacular. The trunk could be a bit bigger but with the enormous back seat -- we aren't limited in any way taking clothes, golf clubs and extras.
I can't imagine getting anymore from a MB 3 class or BMW 5 class that would justify $15-25000 more. I'm very happy with my choice.

Holladay, Utah, United States
Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera Convertible and 2014 Buick LaCrosse Premium II
I have to chime in on the styling updates for 2014-15. Buick has done a great job in creating a sleek contemporary luxury sedan that has styling cues of many of their great past cars. That new big toothy grill really evokes the waterfall grills of the 40s. The subtle sweepspear character line down the side reminds of Buicks from the early 50s and the 1970 Buick Riviera. The portovent garnish is just perfectly Buick. And if anyone criticizes this little bit of bling, point them to the fender vents on BMW, Cadillac, Ford, Infiniti, and many others. Buick did it first and best. But the styling cue that grabbed me most is the new chrome accent across the back of the car. As a kid my family car was a 1959 Buick with the huge delta wing fins (the largest fins on any car ever!). Take a look at those fins, then look at the back of the new LaCrosse. I am convinced Buick designed in a delta wing accent to remind us that Buick also did that best. I knew I loved the styling of this new LaCrosse when I first saw it. It just took me a while to figure out why.

MP2140

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2012 LaCrosse Premium has been a great car. When I was shopping for a car I wanted a comfortable road car. Buick was at the top of my list. At first I thought I wanted a 1st generation LaCrosse. I found a beautiful low milage one being sold by a private party. It was the CSX model so it was nicely equipped. It drove similar to my Grandpa's old Park Avenue, but I was ok with that until I drove the new generation LaCrosse. I was blown away by how fast it was compared to the old LaCrosse, I was hugely impressed by how comfortable it was. The handling was much better than the 1st Generation LaCrosse. I found a beautiful red one that had chromed alloy wheels with the 3.6 V6. I bought it and have been pleased ever since. The salesman called me a couple of weeks later to ask me how I liked the car, I told him I was happier with the car now than when I drove it off the lot. I've had the car for a few years now and when I take it in for servicing they always hit me up to trade it in. "No thanks, I like this one." I've taken my car on several road trips and vacations. My Buick is so much more comfortable than any car I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few over the years. I drove to Canada and used the metric feature that changed all of the gauges to metric. I thought that was neat. This is the first car that I've had for this long that I still get a kick out of driving. I plan to keep the car for many more years.

PurpleHaze

3.9L Member :)
Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
I really like the styling on my 2014 Buick Lacrosse. The car drives very smooth and have more than enough power to pass on the highway. The exterior and interior design of the car is stylish and very unique. My car has the machine finish 20in wheels which adds to the sporty style of the car, but I actually think the car looks more luxurious with the smaller chrome 19in wheels. I wanted the sport package(adaptive shocks), so I had to take the larger 20in wheels as part of the package. I may swap to the chrome 19in wheels later on. I also have the very rare Metallic Amethyst paint job which really gives this car a regal look that turn heads on the road. My 2014 engine also is flex fuel which allows me to choose from a Eco friendly fuel(E85) that allows the engine to run stronger and cooler, or I can use regular gasoline which gives me great gas mileage with decent power to still be content with performance. I like having choices.

The Buick Lacrosse is a very stylish car that is overlooked by many because Buick has a reputation as being an "older person" automobile. I am not an elderly person, and love the car. It may not be a Camaro, but it damn near handles and accelerates like a V6 powered one while driving smooth like a Lexus ES350.

In my opinion the Lacrosse performs as well as the other popular large sport sedans(Maxima,Q70,etc.) that are on the road, but is actually more refined.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2018 Cadillac ATS
My 2010 is rock solid and a compliment magnet, definitely does not look like an old man's car, especially with the 19" wheel package I picked and the spaghetti thin low profile tires. I love the way the chrome compliments my dark blue metallic paint. I have had it 7.5 years and has been a low maintenance car at 75k miles (still original brakes too):thumpsup:

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree. Although Chevy stepped things up with the latest V6 Camaro.
You are right about the 2017 model Camaro. Those cars are quick even with the V6. Test drove a silver 2017 V6 model with the RS package and it was quick. However, it is not a car I want as my daily driver. Track car, yes. But not on my daily work commutes. The ride is too stiff and it feels cramp.

The Lacrosse fit the bill perfectly with the active suspension because it handles just as good as the RS V6 Camaro believe it or not in normal non-track driving, and give a supple ride. I use the same the route to test drive both cars and was impressed that the Lacrosse actually handled a particular curve as well as the V6 Camaro with the RS package(non-active suspension). With that being said, the Camaro with active suspension will no doubt widen the gap in performance. I did not test one with active suspension.

The Lacrosse is just a damn good car that feels good to drive and still is a great performer with the premium II package.

Last edited:

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
First post, love my 2012 Lacrosse. Most of the time. I need to get rid of the hesitation during acceleration.
Try new spark plugs. Even better, use premium gas for better acceleration.

Our direct injection V6 engine with high compression actually perform better when using the good stuff. Regular gas actually causes our engine to retard timing to run it, however the 300hp power rating is still good since our engine is rated with regular gas use I believe since SAE states that an published hp rating should be on the lowest recommended octane. So premium uncaps some horsepower lost by the engine when it retards the engine on regular.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
... Even better, use premium gas for better acceleration... ...Regular gas actually causes our engine to retard timing to run it, however the 300hp power rating is still good since our engine is rated with regular gas use I believe since SAE states that an published hp rating should be on the lowest recommended octane. So premium uncaps some horsepower lost by the engine when it retards the engine on regular.
That's an interesting claim. (I realize you made it 4 months ago) Makes sense of course that you could conceivably take advantage of higher octane fuel with either higher compression or advanced timing. What I'd like to know is how does the car know which gas you bought.?. Does the computer automatically retard the ignition timing by sensing detonation?

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
What I'd like to know is how does the car know which gas you bought.?. Does the computer automatically retard the ignition timing by sensing detonation?
That's my understanding. It's also a useful feature for allowing modern vehicles some fueling flexibility, so if all that's available is one grade and not the one recommended, the vehicle can still operate.

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
That's an interesting claim. (I realize you made it 4 months ago) Makes sense of course that you could conceivably take advantage of higher octane fuel with either higher compression or advanced timing. What I'd like to know is how does the car know which gas you bought.?. Does the computer automatically retard the ignition timing by sensing detonation?
Since I will never dyno my engine, claims is all I can really make. :)

However, the engine has knock sensors that detects pinging inside the engine which helps the ECU determine the timing used by the engine. Direct Injection does allow our engines to use regular octane gas in this high compression engine with minimal knocking or performance loss. Without direct injection this engine would not have been able to use 87 octane with a 11:5 compression. Using higher octane gas allows this engine to run at its best.

Recently I used a tank of premium gas(93 octane) due to being in an area without E85 and the gas mileage was great with similar performance as E85. However, the engine feels stronger with E85.

So my opinion is that regular gas is more economical due to low price and decent gas mileage with average performance. Premium gas has better gas mileage than regular and E85 while having very good performance, but cost too much. E85 is the best performance choice for a really strong running engine, but gas mileage is horrible.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm gonna fill my next few tanks with premium and see if I notice any difference in performance and/or mileage.

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm gonna fill my next few tanks with premium and see if I notice any difference in performance and/or mileage.
No problem. However, do not expect to feel any substantial gains from just changing fuel. You may only increase the HP from moving from 87 octane to 91(93) octane by only 10hp at best, which is not much in a 300hp engine and maybe a couple extra mpg. If you are very attune to slight changes in your engine performance than go for it. However, if you really do not care or notice slight changes in the engine then save your money since the changes will be slight and near undetectable by most drivers. Moving from 87 octane to E85 does make a very noticeable difference in performance and fuel economy.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
You may not notice any difference in performance or milage. You may not notice a thing. With these DI motors they will produce a lot a carbon build up. With the cleaning properties of a high test fuel it will keep the carbon build up to a minimum. Also, people read the manual and see it says 87 octane. Yes, it says 87 or higher. I have owned a total of 4 cars that have the DI motors. None were brand new. 3 had 7000 miles or less when i found them. I would bet they never had high test run in them. The chrome tip on the exhaust were as black as can be. After cleaning them and thousands of miles later they were never that black again. I do not run high test exclusively. But it is my choice Most of the time. I also run Techron fuel additive that i buy at Costco also as a cleaner.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
No problem. However, do not expect to feel any substantial gains from just changing fuel. You may only increase the HP from moving from 87 octane to 91(93) octane by only 10hp at best, which is not much in a 300hp engine and maybe a couple extra mpg. If you are very attune to slight changes in your engine performance than go for it. However, if you really do not care or notice slight changes in the engine then save your money since the changes will be slight and near undetectable by most drivers. Moving from 87 octane to E85 does make a very noticeable difference in performance and fuel economy.

Sorry i would never burn E85 in anything i own. In my opinion there is no advantage in that product Waste of money.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.