• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Buick Lucerne: Performance Car with Amazing Options

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now

KingBuick

Washington, DC
Buick Ownership
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
General Motors introduced the Buick Lucerne in the year 2005. Since then there have been plenty of developments in the car’s design as well as its performance. The Lucerne is the full size car in Buick's lineup and replaced the Park Avenue. The key features of Buick Lucerne include active suspension technology (offered in most performance cars) and the Corvette's Magnetic Ride Control. They're also known as the first SULEV compliant vehicles designed by General Motors. Another exceptional bit of history about the Lucerne is that it was built in the same plant that produced the Cadillac DTS and this plant has won consecutive Initial Quality Awards over the last three years.

There were some minor updates that came with just about every model of Buick Lucerne but the basic features remained the same over time. Additional features include lane departure warning system, revised exterior colors, new trim levels, new base engine (3.9 L LZ9 V6), Bluetooth phone connectivity, XM Nav Traffic, flex-fuel vehicle system, rocker panels, grille and fog lights. A rather performance driven version of the Buick Lucerne also made it into the limelight, known as the Lucerne Super in 2007. The car was a lot more powerful than other Lucerne models with an upscale trim, enhanced 4.6 liter Northstar V-8 engine, 17 hp power and updated styling. The Buick Lucerne Super also had that sporty look because of the spoiler addition to the design - along with special chrome wheels - which made it appear bolder.

Whether it was the Buick Lucerne Super or any other version, they were always considered to be safe cars as they did quite well in safety tests including the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety front impact test and side impact test. The brand new Buick Lucerne model from GM offers even more features than previous models, such as exceptional technological advances and ergonomic design features that make it a top notch car. The model also offers comfort and elegance with its exterior and interior design elements. The interior offers additional cabin space, more than competitive Lexus, Acura, Lincoln and Mercedes models. There are many unique elegant touches in the interior design of the car - for instance LED backlighting in gauges which give it a classy jewel like glow.

A heated wood steering wheel and leather-appointed seating with French stitching is also part of the Buick Lucerne package. There are two engine options available: the 4.6L Northstar V8 gas engine with 292 hp or the environmentally-conscious FlexFuel engine. No matter which engine you choose the car will still give you the same four-speed automatic transmission and electronic stability control system. Other features include magnetic ride control, StabiliTrak, parking assist systems, harmon/kardon sound system, Bluetooth®4 connectivity and OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation.

© 2011 Madison Ross Media Group
This description feels like an obituary to me. It's sad to see the Lucerne gone!

KingBuick.

13aceofspades13

Ionia Michigan
Buick Ownership
1998 Buck Regal LS 25th anniversary
its pritty cool that the Lucerne has the option of the northstar V-8, that engine has plenty of power, but i have heard bad things about it, mechanics say they are junk engines, as soon as a head gasket goes, your best option is supposedly to just get a new engine. but only having some 295HP in a 4.6L with duel over head cam, that seems like a low power figure for what is supposed to be a performance engine of this erra, but still, a good car all around, and the northstar V8 seems to be a pretty popular option for that car.

what i really liked about it was the intake manifold was actually aluminum in my grandfathers 2010, how many cars that new have aluminum intake manifolds anymore, usually its chincy plastic which i do not like.

vintage42

Louisville, KY
Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL V6 Gold Mist
Plastic works just as well, while saving weight and cost, so many engines are using it. My 2006 Scion 1.5L uses plastic. My 2008 Subaru 2.5L engine uses cast aluminum, but was replaced in 2011 by a new design engine that uses plastic.

KLSanchez

Buick Newbie
Aggieland
Buick Ownership
91 Lesabre Custom (3800 V6), 79 El Camino 305 V8, 07 Buick LuCerne CX (3800 Buick V6)
38 all the way is the way to go on your Lucerne. :headbang:

I intend to modify the mess out of mine until it spits 400-500 hp at the wheels.

I don't get a lot of the hate on these babies, though; along with LeSabres and Park Ave's, might just be one of the better cars ever made... though I guess the motor itself has the most to say about that. Surprisingly, too, chicks seem to dig on my car. :blink:

fm9572

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
1994 Buick Park Avenue
The Buick Lucerne is basically a Cadillac Deville with different bodywork. They were both built on the same chassis. It has most of the options of the Deville, and some things the Deville doesn't. The Deville doesn't have a V-6 option, for instance. Basically, anything that can be done to the Deville, can be done to the Lucerne. Lots of choices. Just don't get too crazy with the 4.6. The bottom end can only handle so much. That's why the supercharged Northstar engines were reduced to 4.4 instead of 4.6, to keep the crank from falling out the bottom of the car when you really got on it.

As for "plastic," keep in mind ballistic nylon is a 'plastic.' There are modern plastics that can handle temperatures of 2500 degrees. Some are stronger than steel, including 'carbon fiber.' Plastic isn't necessarily 'cheap' anymore. Sometimes it's the best option for a part.

Last edited:

Bobert

Buick Newbie
Louisville KY
Buick Ownership
5 Buicks - new used 07 Lucerne, Black cream int with coco accents. 4 Reatti (Plural of Raetta)
A mechanic without experiences and with air tools can ruin that ballistic plastic fast. VW background where plastic is more.

Laboo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lucerne
Would be a great car if it didn;t have so many issues :-(

TomP

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
MD
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne '08 and '10
I have 2 Lucerne's with the Northstar; a 2008 with 240,000 and a 2010 with 101,000. I love the car...I went to Buick dealer last year, and couldn't find a car I would buy. Nothing with as much room.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now

TomP

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
MD
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne '08 and '10
For me, test driving the LaCrosse, it was the shoulder room and how close my head was to the driver's window. Maybe it was something I would get used to, but it just felt...tight and confining. And you're right, the dealer did try to push it as full size, or move me to the SUV, which I'm not interested in. Then I found the 2010 Super and I wasn't in the market anymore.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now

kiltedscotsman

Calgary, Alberta
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster Wagon Limited
For me, test driving the LaCrosse, it was the shoulder room and how close my head was to the driver's window. Maybe it was something I would get used to, but it just felt...tight and confining. And you're right, the dealer did try to push it as full size, or move me to the SUV, which I'm not interested in. Then I found the 2010 Super and I wasn't in the market anymore.
Agree! Bloody hell...what IS it with this stupid trend? Windscreens like mail slots, rear windows the same, pillars like overpass columns...crappy visibility. And the window near the head thing...drives me N U T S. Even worse when you sit in a new car in the showroom, roll down the window, and attempt to bob the head to look out and BONK! You smack the top of your head on the top of the window frame....so ok..check seat....WTF no, it's ALL they way down! I plopped into a new 2019 Mustang at ford the other week and one literally has to dip your head down quite far and then kinda angle it out. What are we driving now...tanks with slit windows!??! UGH. *rant off*

Greg Nelson

Buick Ownership
08 Lucerne CXL
My grandson has an 07 Impala police interceptor with the same engine. Sure is tuned for high performance as is wicked. Crappy gas mileage. Lol