buick regal,don't start,security light flashing

terrymart

Buick Newbie
LA
Buick Ownership
Buick regal grand sport
Me and my wife went eat out 4 nights ago.After we ate we stopped at a store.When we went to leave the car wouldnt start.Never had problems with this car befor.After towing it home I checked everything I can think of.This is what it is doing.I turn the key and all I can hear is a sound coming from what looks like relays under the passenger side dashboard near the door open bell(the thing that makes noise when the doors open) No sound coming from the starter.Battery is fully charged.I run a hot wire to the starter the motor cranks over but only runs for about 5 seconds then dies.I did this a few times.I put the key in ignition to the run position for 10 minuts then turn it off,I did this 3 times still nothing.I trace the two white wires for the passlock all the way up to the key and its not broken,key tumbler seems to work fine,no play in it,I also tryed a spare key and still nothing.I check the wires going to the shifter seems fine.Security light is flashing on the dashboard.I unplug the battery overnight checked every fuse on the car.Don't understand this happening out of knoweres without ever giving me problems befor.Just wondering if anyone on here have this problem befor and what you had to do to fix this.I thank you for your time.1996 buick regal grand sport 3.8 v6 automatic.

regalgs04ja

Rocket City, AL
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS Joseph Abbound
I assume your car has Pass Key ignition? The little chip thing in the key.
I could be your ignition switch not reading the key which it won't start and the security light is on.

If you don't really car about having the Pass Key you can bypass it. Take a Digital Volt/Ohm meter and measure the resistance on the key by putting the meter leads on each end of the chip looking thing and record the reading. It is really a resistor in the key.

Get a 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor as close as you can to the reading. You can clip the security leads going to the ignition switch and solder each one to one end of the resistor and tape it up with electrical tape. Make sure you don't get the key in the ignition dinger wires.

Other than that a new ignition switch is probably in order.

I had to do that to one of my 2000 Regals, a cheap fix - I think the resistors cost $1 for a package. Radio Shack does not carry much anymore so I had to go to an electronics store.

terrymart

Buick Newbie
LA
Buick Ownership
Buick regal grand sport
Man I love the internet.Soldered 3 resisters together to meet the 3.02 ohms of my key,soldered that to the wires two white wires,plugged it in just like the video and she cranked rite up.Thank you for your time regalgs04ja.That video saved me some money and I am happy for that.:headbang:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!