Buick Regal TourX is the only American car up for NACOTY

Thread starter #1
IL
Buick Ownership
none
The North American Car, Truck, Utility of the Year semi-finalists have been announced and the Regal TourX has been voted in as a semi-finalist in the Car category. In fact, it's the only American marque on the list.

2019 North American Car, Utilty and Truck of the Year Semifinalists
Four GM Vehicles Named 2019 NACTOY Semi-Finalists

Here is the full car list:
  • Audi A6
  • Buick Regal Tour X
  • Genesis G70
  • Honda Insight
  • Hyundai Veloster
  • Kia Forte
  • Mazda6
  • Mercedes-Benz A-Class
  • Nissan Altima
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Toyota Avalon/Avalon Hybrid
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback
  • Volkswagen Jetta
  • Volvo S60
Hyundai/Genesis, Nissan, and Toyota have multiple entries.

Of the 14:
  • 6 Japanese cars
  • 3 German cars
  • 3 Korean cars
  • 1 Swedish car
  • 1 American car (we're not counting the TourX as German ;))
FYI, in the utility category, 2 of the 12 semi-finalists are American (Caddy XT4 and Jeep Wrangler). In the truck category, all 3 semi-finalists are American (Silverado, GMC Sierra, Ram).

Thread starter #3
IL
Buick Ownership
none
I could have been more precise in the subject line, but I did specify that it was the only American marque, at least :)

By that logic, Volvo is still Swedish despite being owned by Geely.

And per the googles... Ford sold its stake in Mazda a while back. They never owned Mazda, but did have about a 33% share at one point.

I am counting Hyundai/Genesis as one company (b/c they are), but not Kia. Hyundai once had a majority share in Kia, but that is down to 33%. Also not counting VW and Audi together, despite the fact VWAG owns Audi (and Porsche and Lamborghini and others)

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As far as I know it's a original AMC from the era can't recall where I came across it. With all talk about the TourX being so unique it's just a reminder that the US, for better or worse, had some good ideas every once in awhile. We even put cladding on it LOL.

Thread starter #8
IL
Buick Ownership
none
Just closing the loop, TourX did not make the finalist cut. That distinction belongs to the Genesis G70, Honda Insight, and Volvo S60/V60. So there is a wagon in there, at least. Winner to be announced at NAIAS in Detroit in January.

2019 North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year Finalists Announced

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.