• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Buick Rendezvous 2002 with AWD DISABLE light and Anti-Lock Brake light on.?

val

Buick Newbie
I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and recently it began having issues with the brakes. It started with the anti-lock brakes kicking on for no reason. This began to become a more regular occurrence. Now the after driving for a few minutes, the "AWD (all wheel drive) Disable" dummy light comes on as well as a separate "Anti-Lock Brakes" light.

This has only been happening for about two weeks. Does anyone know what the problem is or might be and about how much I should expect to pay to fix the problem. Thanks for your help.

dcurtis48

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2005 Rendezvous CXL AWD
I can't tell you why you are having ABS issues, but I do know that on the RDV the AWD will disable when ABS codes are thrown.

jaswasup

Buick Ownership
Buick
I am having the exact troubles with my vehicle 02 awd minus the feel of abs kicking in (this doe not happen although i am only going on what my wife tells me )
Both trouble lights as described are coming on and it doesnt show an SERV ENG or SERV VEHICLE SOON light
So results are no stored DTC codes when scanned on the odbII code reader

Help please :mad::confused::(:blink:

Mr. Brownstone

Michigan
Buick Ownership
None at this time, just work on them.
You need to use a scan tool that is capable of retreiving chassis and body DTC's. A regular, store bought code reader does not have these capabilities.

Mr. Brownstone

Michigan
Buick Ownership
None at this time, just work on them.
You need a GM scan tool to check the DTC's being set. The reason the lights are on could be a number of things. Simply pay the dealer to scan it and diagnose the problem. You'll spend alot less doing that than throwing parts at it trying to fix it yourself. There are at least 20 things that will cause your warning lights to come on.

tattoo420

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the same problem with my '03. The brakes would chatter until the AWD DISABLE and the ABS lights came on. I had it scanned at a Buick dealer - for $70 - and it came up as the driver's side front wheel speed sensor. I had it replaced - you have to buy the whole hub for $200 or so - and it only fixed the problem for a couple of weeks. The whole process started again, but much more frequently. Again, I paid to have it scanned and it threw out the same code. The culprit was the wiring harness to the sensor. I had both front harnesses replaced - for $80 a piece with a separate $7 connector for each - and that solved the problem. I was told this is common on the Rendezvous. Moisture seeps in or they even get torn. But i was told repeatedly to have the codes cleared after the repair. If not, the computer may not monitor them correctly. So far so good. The only other problem that I have is that mine seems to eat back tires. Hope this helps everyone.

John Wilson

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
You need to use a scan tool that is capable of retreiving chassis and body DTC's. A regular, store bought code reader does not have these capabilities.
I am seriously looking into buying a scan tool/code reader that will also handle ABS/airbags codes and will point to the offending wheel. Does anyone have recommendations on good models to pursue? I know they are expensive but I have 3 GM vehicles with these type of hubs/sensors and its getting expensive to take them in every time to have the offending wheel/hub identified!

The latest one is my 2002 Rendezvous AWD. Ack!

Sue100454

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you tattoo420 for the information. I ordered a new 2013 Buick Encore on March 1 and it hasn't arrived from South Korea yet (maybe by May 15). My AWD lights just started coming on so I need to get it repaired before I turn the Rendezvous in and I was nervous that it was something very major that was wrong. Thank you!

bezanson

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I got the innova Scantool of Amazon. Part number 31603. It worked pretty good for my 06 Rendezvous. Does ABS, Brake, and general DTCs.

I had the AWD light as well. The right front sensor was simply unplugged. Not sure how. But test, inspect, clean, and put some di-electric grease on each connector. May solve it. Otherwise, as others have said, you need the scanner to tell you which one it is.

duckpox

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Check under the driver side of car where front & rear door meet about 10-12 inches toward middle are ABS plugs & plug for fuel harness. Inspect for water and corrosion.

tr121336

Buick Newbie
United States of America
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Rendevouz XL
Look to the rear of the brake calipers behind the wheel/tires and see if you have an electrical plug, connected to wheel hub, hanging. If this is disconnected the vehicle computer cannot properly activate the antilock brake system and all wheel drive without the feedback from the sensor. FYI: At 59,000 miles found out there was recall for right front hub.

Djr2019

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This is one of the many problems I have had repaired on my 2002 Rendezvous. CPC 631, replaced BOT FT ABS wiring sensor harness. Parts 204.84, labor 299.97... Total to diagnose and fix 565.83 with tax and 'misc' charge...... Ugh

acemannw

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2003 is having this same issue. We just had new front hubs installed so i am guessing it is the speed sensor wiring harness.

Three504spd

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Does anyone have the correct part number for the harness? Is the harness a GM only item or available from an auto parts store? Thanks.

curtislt

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've been having the same problem with severe pulsing at low speed only. Is there a relay I can pull to disable awd and antilock until I can repair it? thanks.

typhoonk

Buick Ownership
Buick
if it's pulating it could be a damaged ABS sensor or wheel hub/bearing.

you can unplug one of the ABS sensors to disable the ABS/AWD system. Just be carefull the connectors can be pretty brittle

2tallcurtis

Buick Newbie
Texas
Buick Ownership
93 Lesabre and 04 RDV
Just replaced my ABS Module the beeping is no longer going off but the low pressure tire sensor and the lights for abs traction control are still on.

Replaced it with one from a junk yard could not afford a brand new one, hope nothing is wrong with this one, got a 90 warranty.

Turbo Buick Badge