Buick Verano Engine Knock???

Thread starter #1

ginopr2001

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello there, I think that I might have a lemon. Does anyone’s Buick Veraneo makes an engine knocking noise when you start it up in the mornings or when you let it sit for a while? I took it to the dealer like three times already. The first time they change the oil... (They used my free oil change for that)!!! and change a part, but that didn’t work. The second time they change another part, but the problem still existed. The third time they stayed with the car for a week and nothing, the maintenance supervisor told me that this was normal thing and it comes like that from the factory, he said that it was the fuel pump and it makes that noise.... (I do have a good background on mechanics and fuel pump does not make a knocking noise the make a buzzing noise). He mentioned that ALL veranos do that same knocking noise. Honestly to me I don’t think so...it sounds like a lifter is bad or going bad, because it will knock for a good 6 mins or more and it becomes louder if I step on the gas...are you guys having this problem??? I will attach a recording... please let me know. I’m in the military and I deploy a lot and I don’t want to leave my and daughter with a problem car... thank you.

tbacba

Buick Ownership
Buick
I too have noticed a 'knocking' (actually tapping) noise upon cold startup. However, to me it sounded more like lifters rather than a heavy knock. It also goes away as the engine warms. I considered that there might be a problem, but I've concluded it's probably just the injectors. I read somewhere that direct injection can be pretty noisy, due to the high pressures involved. If it turns out to be an actual issue, which I doubt, Buick does have a pretty comprehensive 6 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty which would take care of any repairs.

2012gsguy

USA
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS manual, roof, 19's in White Diamond
The direct injection pump located in the valve cover is very noisy, especially when cold and or at idle. Remove the sound insulator on the valve cover and be prepared for an audio onslaught of unpleasant sounds!!!!! Its normal...

Gramps

Niagara, Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Essence
I just bought a 14 verano to replace my 12 verano. On the 14 verano, there is a noise(tapping or ticking) upon startup in the morning. The noise disappears after several minutes of operation. It is noisier upon mild acceleration. Since the noise goes away, I am not concerned. Old Chrysler's had a problem with leak down in their lifters and every morning there would be a clacking noise until the lifters filled. The mechanic(performs all the work on my cars because he is honest) at the dealership said all the verano's do it and it is because of the situation previously mentioned in another post.

Hello all,

I see that many of you have expressed a concern with a knocking noise in your vehicle. If you would like to send us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership through a private message, we would be happy to discuss the situation further with your dealership. Thank you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Buick Ownership
Buick
To everyone, The 2013 verano that I have is very quiet at all times and especially at cold morning starts. I had a 1998 dodge neon and it sounded like it was going to blow up during early morning start ups. I think any verano should be quiet period during cold start ups.:headbang::eek:

g_684985

Hello there, I think that I might have a lemon. Does anyone’s Buick Veraneo makes an engine knocking noise when you start it up in the mornings or when you let it sit for a while? I took it to the dealer like three times already. The first time they change the oil... (They used my free oil change for that)!!! and change a part, but that didn’t work. The second time they change another part, but the problem still existed. The third time they stayed with the car for a week and nothing, the maintenance supervisor told me that this was normal thing and it comes like that from the factory, he said that it was the fuel pump and it makes that noise.... (I do have a good background on mechanics and fuel pump does not make a knocking noise the make a buzzing noise). He mentioned that ALL veranos do that same knocking noise. Honestly to me I don’t think so...it sounds like a lifter is bad or going bad, because it will knock for a good 6 mins or more and it becomes louder if I step on the gas...are you guys having this problem??? I will attach a recording... please let me know. I’m in the military and I deploy a lot and I don’t want to leave my and daughter with a problem car... thank you.
Hello, my 2013 Verano is making the same noise. I took mine to the shop and they told me it was the timing chain. Well that wasn’t it. Then they said it was a lifter. That also wasn’t it. He finally told me he couldn’t find where it’s coming from and also thinks it’s normal but I have a hard time believing that. The dealership wants to much to looo at it so I think I may just trade it instead

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
The carbon canister on GM Delta-platform cars makes a knocking during engine warm-up on cold starts and sometimes after the motor stops. When it activates, it sounds like someone is in the trunk knocking 3-5 times to get out. The carbon canister is one of the emissions-control parts; the sound is normal. My Verano makes this sound and the Ions I owned previously did, too.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
My brothers verano is the same... It indeed is normal.

Best thing he's done to reduce engine noise is switch oil to AMSOIL 5w30 Signature series and a little Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.

Buick Ownership
Verano
Cold engine knock

Jessica, hi my name is Dino . I own a 2015 Buick verano with 4400 kilometres on it . I don't drive it very much as I'm retired. Lately I noticed a knocking sound from the engine when cold at first startup, especially around 2200 rpm, this noise disappears after a few minutes . The verano has only been serviced at the dealer I bought it from. I'm concerned that this is a major problem I'll have to deal with when the warranty finishes. Selling dealer west island gmc 3650 sources Dollard des ormeaux Quebec.

Thanking you in advance.

Dino

Last edited by a moderator:
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Dino,

GM and as dated Jessica 2013 haven't been around this forum for awhile so you will probably have to contact GM Canada directly. Another item is to not post your private information on a public forum for the world to see, just a FYI. I'm in the states and have no information regarding Buick GM Canada, maybe someone from Canada can help.

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
you have cold engine knock? how many miles on the engine? I assume you have checked the oil level? I assume you are using the correct viscosity oil? If you are still under warranty have you taken it back to the dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Switch to AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30 and a little Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.

My brother's Verano engine was very loud when cold. After switching from the dealers oil to AMSOIL now it's quieter than ever. Even when brand new it wasn't this nice smooth and quiet.

Piston slap or rod knock when engine is cold is due to shitty oil.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
It is most likely the carbon canister, a piece of emissions equipment on the car; it's normal for it to make that sound. It usually happens during the engine warm-up period and sometimes after you shut off the motor. All three of my Delta-platform cars, dating back to 2003, have made this knocking sound.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.